Pedal Snobs I need HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shredinator, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Shredinator

Shredinator Member

Ok so I've been using a DD3 and a DD7 in my current rig. I know it sounds stupis but I can't get that certain as the French say, "I don't know what" sound! So I've been on the hunt for Red October.

I've read and youtubed the hell out of some delay pedals and put the foot to the pedals in several different stores? I've learned that EXH pedals don't do it for me. I tried the MXR Carbon Copy and it did an okay job. Then this guy brings in a Keeley modded AD9 he had in the store and there it was, I could hear the angels singing! It was what I've been looking for!

It sounded great, it actually was perfect! I wanted it bad. However I learned that the AD9's have been discontinued and can no longer be purchased from normal people.

This price on the Keeley mod AD9 is $189.00. I also found a small store that had a stock AD9 on discount price for $99.99, but I haven't played a stock model yet, just called around to find one to have options before I spend another $200 bucks on another pedal!

So my question is, does anyone have any thoughts on a stock AD9 verses a Keeley modded one? I know everyone is going to say, go play the other one, but the trick was having the MXR Carbon Copy and Keeley side by side! I can't have the other side by side becuase they are in different cities and I wanted someone's thoughts first before I tried either way. PLease help guys before I spend too much money if I can get away with a stock AD9.

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Some stores have a good return policy, so you could get the stock and return it if you don't like it. Or just go to the small store and see if you can hear angels.

3. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

In the effort to be purely helpful I suggest you rename this thread.

"Keeley modded AD9 vs stock AD9 - help pls"

Thank me later

4. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

If your loving the organic feel of analog delay the Strymon El Capistan can't be beat. It's a little pricey, so if you're on a budget the TC Electronics Flashback is a great best bang-for-the-buck alternative.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have a DD3 and a Flashback... great sounding combo on a budget.

6. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Get the stock AD-9. If you decide you don't like it in its stock form, you can always send it to get it modded by Keeley

7. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

+++1
    The AD-9 has a pretty short delay time. Depending on your specific application, you might want to try something else. Have you heard of a Catalinbread Montavillian? It has alot of the ambiance of a good analog delay but still has the footprint of an MXR box. Good luck!