Pedal Steel Licks/Country Double Stops/Harmonic Modulation Bending

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by TaronKeim, Oct 11, 2006.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Hey fellas,

I'm looking for an instructional book (ala. Sheets of Sound) on how to do pedal steel licks on guitar... and some of the more insane double stop and harmonic modulation bending stuff, I've got a couple of the easy Santana-esque screaming harmonic double stops down... but trying to do the complicated pull-off while bending to another note and bend down stuff is beyond me... at least for writing my own stuff... I can rip a couple of guys licks of alright:)

Anyways, any insight into this style of playing would be awesome... the sorta stuff our very own fatback is into for bending styles in particular is something that interets me as well.

Thanks ahead.

-TJK

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I'm not sure how much of this kind of playing it covers, but you might check out Redd Volkaert's new instructional DVD.

www.reddvolkaert.com

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks a lot gtrfinder... I'll give it a look, I'm familiar with the name but haven't heard any of his playing before!

-TJK

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

+1 to most anything by Trovato. I was working out some cool banjo roll licks out of one of his books (Country Solos for Guitar) last night. His stuff sounds the most country to my ears. I was checking out another book by someone else called just "Chicken Picken" and it was just a bunch of boring flat picking major pentatonic runs. Nothing that exciting.

Another good teacher of that style is Arlen Roth.

6. 57tele

57tele Member

There's always the first two Roy Buchanan albums. Can't go wrong there.

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, I'll check out the Steve Trovato and Arlen Roth stuff for sure.

As for the Roy Buchanan stuff, I'll give it a listen for sure, but I'm not sure if I'm at the level where I could figure it out without some sort of help:D (like Roy standing in front of me going, okay... here is how you do it, haha)

-TJK

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

Check out Doug Seven's instructional DVDs. Good stuff there, seriously good. Danny Gatton's has some cool stuff, too, but a lot of it you have to just watch for what you like, then back it up and try to see how he did it.
    There's also another thread here on Pedal Steel licks, that you might want to search for. Many folks shared their stuff there!

9. Mark C

Mark C Member

The absolute best I've seen on this subject is Arlen Roth's country stringbending video. Don't know if it's been rereleased on DVD yet.

10. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Whoa... just did a search on this stuff... I remember a thread or two... I didn't have any idea there was so much stuff posted about it already, awesome...

Thanks again for all the advice and some names to look into as well... should be fun... damn! guitar is a journey, lovin' every step.

-TJK

11. gennation

gennation Member

My Advanced Pentatonics Tutorial has quite a bit of the pedal steel style licks and more. Check it out at: http://lessons.mikedodge.com

Their peppered through out so browse through them...there's ove 50 lessons there with audio, tab, explanations, etc...

Have fun!

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I was just checking some of those out man... AWESOME chops dude... love that lesson 39.

-TJK

13. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

The coolest one I've seen was Albert Lee's video- he does some AMAZING pedal steel stuff......

14. gennation

gennation Member

Excellent! Thanks for checking them out and I hope they give you some help.

There's some "good food for thought stuff" there.