Pedal Swap Pool?

niclake13

Ok, hear me out... I'm just thinking off of the top of my head here.

We're all here because we love gear. Many of us have an admiration for vintage and/or boutique gear that we can't find in stores. Youtube vids and "it sounds like this" recommendations can only go so far. However, not all of us have the endless bankrolls to keep trying and (hopefully) selling different pedals.

For example, I badly want to find a new high-gain OD, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Hard for me to keep buying and selling pedals until I find the right one.

So what I'm thinking (I'm not doing logistics here, just word vomit) is getting a group of people together. Solid people, not unknowns that might flake out someday. List the pedals you'd be willing to "swap", find someone with a pedal you'd like to try, and make trades. If you like it, you can buy it from the owner. If you don't, you can ship it right back. Yeah, you pay for shipping, but $10-20 to try for a week or 2 is better than buying brand new and losing out having to sell used.

Sure, it's similar to Emporium trades, but this is less of a commitment in terms of finalized deals. Also lets you try-before-you-buy.

Is this something anyone else would be interested in, or would the potential liabilities of 1 "bad egg" scare everyone away?

cj_wattage

There was a thread here a while back about starting up a boutique pedal rental company. I thought that was a great idea.

Your idea of spending $20 to try a pedal out for a week to 10 days is pretty much the same thing. Well, minus the trade part of it. :)

shango

+1 Great idea! I am not exactly in a position to risk the $$ for something I may not like. I am game!

Heady Jam Fan

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/901293

This thread, I think it was this morning, is exactly the same thing. I suggested that you can pay for the pedal on paypal, ship with insurance and when the pedal is return, get a refund issues - paypal refunds their fee's when you do this (but they may catch on). This is pretty risk free aside from pedals like toneczar that can take, apparently, years to replace.

I also remember the pedal rental idea... I had been thinking how nice it would be if there was a place nearby that had a plethora of boutiques that you could try and stack and put in your rig. Maybe more so than renting, reserving a time to set up shop and try out a bunch of gear and compare. That is an expensive business plan though, if I win the lotto, maybe!

cubistguitar

liked the idea, just a little worried about a bad egg

I know everyone is cool here, but occasionally people have stuff bigger than effects going on in life, then away goes your opportunity to un-trade or whatever you were doing , then your blood pressure goes up cause the guy totally forgot to check in with the tgp friends, etc etc

shango

The ultimate solution is for all us gear heads to unite and colonize some uncharted place and do this thing locally. :D

niclake13

As I just posted over in the "other thread", if people are willing to chip in a few $$ for hosting and such, I'd be more than happy to craft a simple site for us to use to find people. Search by state/nearby and all that.

Trending Topics