Pedal Switchers? Turning on/off multiple pedals. How can I do this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I've been looking at the VL pedal switcher/commander combo, but I want to know if there is anything else out there that does this.

I don't need the buffer/bypass aspects of the pedal switcher since most of my pedals are TB, and I have a valvulator, but it appears that I need the pedal switcher to use the midi capabilities of the commander.

Basically, I want to assign certain pedal combinations to one particular button, rather than trying to tap dance and turn on/off 3 pedals at one time. I've read that the carl martin octoswitch has bad popping issues and isn't too reliable. But, I've also read that the pedal switcher is a bit screwy and the buffer isn't that great.

Any help is appreciated.

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

You have a few options.

If you only need a Clean effected sound, and a Dirty effected sound, you can use a Clean/Dirty switcher from LoopMaster.

If you only need to switch in two pedals at once, say two overdrives that compliment each other, or a drive and an eq, etc. You can just use a true bypass loop box. You can get some interesting switching options here.

You could also go the Ground Control Pro setup. Setup the pedals in a rack, and get the foot switch to switch in any combination of loops. Lot of pro's use this style of setup.

So unless you need to use one pedal in different loops, you can use the first two options. But if you use a pedal for both clean and dirty sounds, you might need the more complicated setup.

Good luck.

dk

3. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

You could try the Carl Martin Combinator 2 if you don't like the Octaswitch. And then there's still the GigRig.

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I think I might end up just getting the VL pedal switcher/commander.

I need the ability to program button one to trigger the mem lane/replica, button 2 to trigger the replica/rrr, button 3 to trigger mem lane/replica/rrr, etc. I can get these two for around $350, which is a loooot cheaper than any of the other options.

5. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

The VL pedal switcher is the only one on the market with MIDI capabilities in this price range. It is inexpensive and works very well without occupying to much real estate on your pedal board.
    Rene

6. jrm

jrm Member

Pardon me if I am not understanding, but...

Doesn't WOBO make a unit that would work? You plug all your effects into it, and then set the loops with DIP switches? That way you can use the same effect in different lopps. Maybe I'm way off though. Good luck!

(edit: I think I found it: http://www.woboge.com/remote_prog.html)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

The WOBO is $600, whereas the whole VL setup came out to $350.

It does the same thing though.

8. jrm

jrm Member

Cool! I wasn't even aware of the VL. I'll have to check it out.

9. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

The cheepest I see the VL for is $190 & $219=$409 and it will only switch 4 pedals.
    The octaswitch is $349 & does 8 & less pedalboard space.

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

music123 has a back to school sale. total cost is $343 with free ground shipping, good deal.

I read mixed HC reviews about the octaswitch. Someone one there wrote a follow-up that didn't seem too positive.