Pedal techs - what does this sound like to you?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by whiteop, Jan 29, 2012.

1. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Awhile back I traded a pedal with another forumite and got a Boss DD-20. It worked fine for a little bit then started having problems. Basically it will work for about 5 mins then just stops working. Doesn't matter if it's powered by battery or by the power supply; it does the same thing. Anyone else experienced this and found out what the problem is? They basically got a pristine pedal and I got a bad one. Whether or not they knew it had a problem I don't know. If anyone has dealt with this I'd appreciate your insight. If you would pm me it would be appreciated.

Thanks

WhiteOp

2. jkokura

jkokura Member

At this point, without opening it I can't say for sure. You should have a Boss Tech look at it. I would inform the guy you traded with.

Jacob

3. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I already did and got no response.

4. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

Sounds kind of like an electrolytic cap that is part of the power section of the circuit may be bad.
    If an electrolytic caps is bulging, its bad.

5. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I think it's surface mount technology but I'll open it up and take a look. I have repaired a lot of pedals myself when the problem has been pretty obvious but still learning. Had a Rat pedal go bad one time and followed the circuit, noticed that there was a reading that meant the transistor was bad. Popped in a new one and it fired right up...;)

6. jkokura

jkokura Member

I would be persistent with the person you traded with, though if you get no response there's little you can do. You have his address right? You could try calling the cops on him, thought that's quite harsh...

Have you tried messaging Boss about it? I found their tech people very helpful when diagnosing a PH-3 which I was unable to repair. The repair bill was very high yes, but after describing the problem they gave me some ideas on how to track down the potential issue. Perhaps in your case it's something you can fix.

jacob

7. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Problem solved. DOH moment! Opened it up checked the circuit and could see no apparent problems with any caps or power supply which got me to thinking I better check the power source. I did and the batteries were low and found out that my SKB board only puts out 100ma per jack but that the DD-20 requires 200ma! The SKB board had just enough juice to turn on the pedal and for a few seconds. I put in new lithium batteries and it powered right up and stayed on no problem. Lesson learned (again) - check the simple (and obvious) things first...

P.S. Glad I didn't list the guy's name before checking this out thoroughly. He would have been falsely accused.

8. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

I was going to ask what you were powering it with. My buddy had the same issue with his when he was using the power supply on his SKB board too. Glad you figured it out!