• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pedal that gets a Matchless Chieftian distortion sound?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
You could search out an old Matchless HotBox. They used a pair of NOS 12AX7s to cop the sounds of a DC30 into a 6L6 amp, but if you turn down the treble you can get more of a Chieftain sound.

mdmack

Besides getting a Chieftain I am not sure that you are going to get there. My Cheiftain has this grindy/chimey mixture that is pretty unique and I have never heard a pedal even come close.

sickboy79

Besides getting a Chieftain I am not sure that you are going to get there. My Cheiftain has this grindy/chimey mixture that is pretty unique and I have never heard a pedal even come close.
Agree - not sure that there are many pedals today that will do that sound. I know Rockett has the Hi-top which was designed by Sampson but, that's closer to the C-30 tone.

One of the older Matchless pedals would probably get you the closest.

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
The presence control on the Chieftain is part of that sound you're after. The EQD Talons OD has a presence control that does pretty much what that control does for the Matchless - it adds brilliance. You might come about as close to the Chieftain as you can get with a pedal with the Talons.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom