Pedal that will do Big Muff sounds without getting lost in the mix

Empros

Musket is a good one if you want more of a distortion sound, the Hoof is great too.
Basic Audio Tri/Ram is the best Muff I've played through so far though. Mids knob helps it cut through the mix no problem.

Jet Age Eric

Musket is a good one if you want more of a distortion sound, the Hoof is great too.
Basic Audio Tri/Ram is the best Muff I've played through so far though. Mids knob helps it cut through the mix no problem.
? It's a Muff, with additional controls over mids (cut and boost) and bass (cut), and the Pre knob allows you to affect the texture but it is a Muff with a huge range, not a generic "distortion." -E

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
Iron Bell. It can do both the Russian and the Ram's Head sounds.

Over the last year or so I have been using an MXR Super Badass Distortion for my sustained super saturated stuff. I always felt it sat in a mix better than the Muff type pedals....

hazmat33

I have the Hoof Reaper.
The Hoof side is awesome and I regret not buying one long ago. Very versatile and no worries of getting lost in the mix. BUT w the Hoof Reaper you can add in the Octave or Reaper to ensure you won't get buried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krz4fx

When too many really is TOO many...
Gold Supporting Member
SUF Red Menace. Or you can use the muff of your liking and put either a range booster or treble booster after it. The Catalinbread Naga Viper and Prune Works Squawk are both awesome for this! I use a combination of a SUF 72 Triangle Muff with the Naga Viper and the "broadsword effect" happens: a very thick sound that can through anything!

mikef1331

Depends on what type of Muff sounds you are trying to go for; Ram, Triangle, Russian or Pi.

For the Ram & Triangle tones I suggests giving the Basic Audio Tri/Ram a try. I have one and it sounds great! Really versatile for a Muff pedal.

WorkinSteamin

BYOC makes Triangle and Ramshead Muff clones ("Large Beavers".) Both have select-able mids--scooped like a regular Muff, flat mids and pushed mids. There is also a setting which takes the tone control out of the circuit a la the Tone Wicker Big Muff. You'll have NO trouble cutting through on that setting. The nice thing about BYOC is that you can get them assembled to your door for around $120. About $90 if you choose to build it yourself. They aren't pretty (unless you paint them) but they are a great deal.

Demo:

daytonswords

earthquaker hoof fuzz. the shift control allows you to go from really scooped to really midrangey. it can definitely cut the mix if you want it to.