Pedal to achieve thick distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by squeally dan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I have been using a Zen drive for low gain stuff, and I have a Keeley TS9 which has a little more gain, but what should I use for more distortion? I mainly am looking for something to provide more singing leads. I have Blues Driver but it hasn't been on my gigging board in a while.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Catalinbread Supercharged OVerdrive sounds like what you're looking for. Those who use it, use it mainly for leads. And those who use it, love it

3. journo

journo Member

Hi,

We seem to work along the same lines.
    I have a T-Rex Møller for low-low gain, a TS-9 for low gain, a Zendrive for slightly more but still low gain, a T-Rex Mudhoney for old style more gain and finally for mucho gain I have a Tonebore Classic. The Tonebone is also excellent for juicing up with the Møller Boost section.

The Tonebone has very thick gain. It also has tons of ways to modify that gain. It has a midboost that works really well for fattening up weak single coils if you wish (which I do for certain songs) and you can set the gain in three stages. Then you have a number of controls to modify tone.

I only have a problem of just having found the Carl Martin Plexitone wich gives me that elusive Landau dynamic low-to-medium gain and I don't have more space on my board. Something has to give. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

4. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

You may also consider stacking something after than Zendrive. I use either a Timmy or an RC Boost after the Zen and it really makes it come alive, very thick, lush sustain, more grit and fire.

I also have a Keeley TS-808 that stacks well with the Zen for a very different sound than either of the boosts. This combo gets me in more "fuzz" land with even more dripping sustain.

5. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

And we love those who use it!

6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Best pedals I've used for "singing leads":

Eternity
    Barber Direct Drive
    MI Audio Blues Pro

7. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Xotic BB Preamp

9. drolling

drolling Member

The suggestion to slam your ODs w/a booster's a very good one. You can push a lo-gain pedal into thick, saturated distortion hat way. I've been using a Diamond comp to boost a BJF HoneyBee into a massive lead tone that the pedal's incapable of on it's own.

The more 'amp-like' the pedal, the better this technique will work - for that reason I'm seconding the Lovepedal Eternity. This one's already bordering on distortion at extreme settings and may be enough for you all by itself.

You didn't mention what kind of amp your using, but the MI Audio CrunchBox'll turn a small clean Fender amp into a hi-gain Marshall. Lot's of fun for 99 bucks..

10. el34power

el34power Member

Crunch box. And BTW mr catalinbread. the crunch box reaaaallly likes my Super Chili Picoso after it. It opens up the C.B.

11. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I'm using a Dr. Z Maz 38 Senior.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd love to hear some more.

I have a Boss Blues Driver that I loaned to a friend. I'm thinking I need to get reaquainted with that one. It had a good amount of gain if I remember correctly.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I second the ToneBone and will report back when I get my Eternity. The BB Pre is excellent as is the Zen pushed with a Balance or RC.

Lots of great choices!

13. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

BJF Dyna Red Distortion. At the end of a very long and frustrating search for me. YMMV.

14. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Also, been stacking Klon Centaur with Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso. BAD ASS. Again, YMMV.

Best,

Doc :)

15. Teahead

Teahead Member

For lead lines, a Silicon Fuzz Face like the Foxrox. For thick rhythm tones, the BJF Emerald Green Distortion Machine.

16. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Been using a Fulltone OCD or an Xotic BB with a Super Chili Picoso after them (heh-heh...), sounds so good that almost ain't fair...:)

Peace,

jb

17. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I listened to some clips of the Catalinbread Supercharged Overdrive. I don't think thats my bag. It's distoriton but kinda sounds thin and trebley to my ears. A little to harsh for me. I'm loking more for a big fat tone. Maybe Warren Haynes lead tone would be a good example.

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

You're right that it's more distortion than OD. I also understand your skepticism about the SCOD. The truth is, though, the soundclips fail miserably at capturing what that baby is all about (sorry, cat-man, but it is the truth!). You're not the first to be turned off by them. But those that went the distance were in for a surprise, whether it was the pedal for them or not.

Some say it's in the vein of a higher quality RAT (which, as you probably know, is one of the classic lead/solo pedals of all time), but it is a versatile lil machine that can do a lot more tonally. I still say you go for it. It can be had for a decent price in the emporiums

19. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

I understand this for sure. I am not happy with many of the clips on my page. Unfortunately, there is so little time to record better ones due to keeping up with building demand. The sound clips don't serve justice and really fail to capture the feel of the pedal. I am sure Brad won't mind me saying this.. But why not give an SCOD a shot and if you don't like it send it back to Tonefactor.com and ask him to swap it out for something else. Tonefactor is cool like that.

20. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Why not solicit clips from the TGP and HC community? I'm sure people would be happy to comply. I'd give it a shot, although my recording stuff is rudimentary.