• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pedal to equalize level between guitars

An EQ pedal is great. Xotic RC Boost also great. With an eq you can not only boost output but tailor the output frequencies. Simple as kicking it on when you swap guitars. 6 or 7 band can be had for fairly inexpensive.

Can make current pickups sound like another with some custom sculpting of frequencies too.

PanicOrganic

Seems like you just want to increase the signal without any other coloration?

Compressors and overdrives are going to affect your tone, no matter how mildly they are set.

I would go with a transparent boost.

I used to use a BBE Boosta Grande to equalize levels between my Les Paul and (quieter) Telecaster.

Jazz Padd

Also very surprised how much lower in output are the vintage voiced pickups on my Tele, so I've been using a no frills mini-booster, Emerald Prince.

Daverij

For exactly this I use a Barber Tone Press compressor with blend and sustain low. As transparent as you can get plus you can experiment with mild com settings for your strat.

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
You can go with a clean boost, but for my money I prefer a boost that fattens up the single coils a bit. Sounds better to my ears, and you don't necessarily have to reset your pedals every time your swap guitars

I used a Fulltone Fatboost v1 for many years for exactly that; recently switched to Flower Dual Poppy boost, which does the same thing, but adds a second boost channel at the back-end. (Useful for either singles or humbuckers.) There are a lot of pedals that will fatten as well as boost. I haven't tried the Xotic EP Boost or the Keeley Katana, but they can be set that way.

Depending on the pedal, you might not be able to set a purely clean boost to fat (the current Fulltone 2B, for example), but you can usually set a fat boost to clean.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I used a Bearfoot Sea Blue EQ for this exact thing.... it's super warm, really natural feeling, sounds great, and just gave my strat that extra oomph to match the output of my Tele

Super Hard on works really well for this IF it's first in the chain.

Is there someone around you who could re-gauss the magnets in your pickup? It would just restore some of the power of the magnet that gets lost over time, if I understand it correctly. IMO that would be the simplest and most organic option.

apalazzolo

Silver Supporting Member
It's not quite that simple. Even assuming just a cable between guitar and amp, a hotter signal guitar will push the preamp while a low-output one will not. Turning up the amp's master volume will compensate for loudness, but will have lost crunch.
You're right but he could turn up the input volume control or the channel volume control ... not the master.

I mean, half the point in switching guitars is that they sound different so I'm not sure why you'd really want to do this.

Of course, the simplest way to do this would be to turn your other guitar down to match your strat. Volume parity achieved, zero extra gear acquired.

Jim Hagerman

Vendor
I designed a few boosts to handle this exact situation. Since output level is so low, you need to pay attention to added pedal noise. My JFET boost pedal is probably the quietest on the planet. Very clean adding no tonal signature of its own. It does have buffered bypass, however. If you need added warmth, my Valve pedal will add nice overtones without changing EQ. If you want both low noise and tube overtones, check out my EF86 pedal.

If you want to add a bit of dirt, then get something like the Timmy as suggested above.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I am using a NUX Lacerate boost for exactly this. I normally run humbuckers into my board. Plugging my strat in with the NUX still sounds like a Strat but the gain levels on my pedals work like they did with HB pups. I also have a TC Elec. Spark Mini Boost on another board at the end of the chain as a solo level boost. I think the TC would be a good pedal for front end pup leveling boost too. It is a very clean boost adding no grit or tone change and has a large amount of boost available.

FenderLester

I used to use a BOSS GE-7 back in the day, until it was stolen. Recently I got a JRockett Archer Ikon, because I don't mind if it's not pure clean boost, I need some juevos rancheros with my Strat tone.

Pick53766

Colorsound power boost (so, for example Electronic Orange Banana Boost) is the right answer. Clean boost, EQ, overdrive, if need be, fuzz if need be, overall low output singlecoil goodness maker. Every vintage strat player should have one even if they do not have the problem you are solving.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom