1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pedal to fatten up clean tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Super Locrian, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I'm sure this has been asked before, but didn't find exactly what I was looking at from searching.

I want to fatten up my clean tone somewhat. I've tried using a delay to do this, but I need more beef. I'm not looking to boost the volume either. I want to retain the dynamics, so a compressor is probably not an option. So, what alternatives do I have?

2. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

Could go with a very light chorus? Or a clean boost like the Xotic RC Booster... It has treble and bass controls. Maybe bump the bass up a little bit?

3. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Right now I am experimenting with a Keeley modded Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive to do the same thing w/a Strat. I find if I crank the clean knob all the way and lower the volume knob the right amount, that I get a nice full clean sound. What I like about the SD is that I can add a little grit with the gain knob whenI want, I don't need another pedal to do it. I also set the pedal on top of my amp so I can constantly adjust knobs on the fly as needed.

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

you already eliminated my two guesses that would be the delay for a very short slap or a compressor.. those are the two things that I'm going to be using when I'm done with my clean sound.. maybe you just need to find the right compressor?? how about the BJF Pine Green?( its a compressor for people who don't like Compressor's??) .

the RC Booster was a good suggestion just keep it at unity volume and gain and adjust the treble and bass to taste. I'm sure it will add some sparkle and fattness to your tone.

5. strat-rock

strat-rock Member

Sounds like a BJF SBEQ or a SIB Fatdrive would do the trick, or another eq of some kind...

6. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

A Sea Blue EQ popped into my mind too! It really adds a nice fatness (if you want it to) and improves the overall tone.

7. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Sea Blue EQ works for me into a very clean, sparkly, Fender style amp. Kind of pricey and rare, but you will find all kinds of uses for it when you have one.

James

www.russellguitars.com

8. woude

woude Member

Maybe:
    -a good eq to boost certain low-mid frequencies?
    -the diamond compressor with the tilt-eq and the slightest ammount of compression gives a fattening effect, or have a look at their new boost-eq (because of the tilt-eq)
    -the Klon centaur with the gain on zero makes everything fatter
    -the fulltone fatboost or the fulldrive in comp-cut mode make everything fatter.
    -the diamond memory lane is a really fat sounding delay. I'm talking about notes dripping with 'milkshake' fatness.
    -the Timmy with the gain at 07:00, bass at 07:00, treble at 12:00 gives a fattening effect.
    -turning your tone knob on your guitar back gives a fattening effect?

everything above is possible with almost no compression and at unity volume.

9. mrMix

mrMix Supporting Member

I picked up a BBE Sonic Stomp and it's not bad at all.

10. fyler

fyler Member

one really simple (and free!) thing to try: assuming you are playing through a tube amp, turn up louder than you would normally for clean sound, so that the amp is overdriving a bit, then turn down the volume of your guitar enough for the sound to clean up - this gives more of a natural tube compression and 'sparkle'. just something to mess with before you spend money.

11. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

A mate of mine did a Dan Armstrong wiring modification (well that's what he told me anyway!)to my strat and that really fattens it up.

12. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

+1 here for the RC Booster.

13. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

14. micjonga

micjonga Member

+100 on the RC Booster! This pedal not only fattens but also will open up the sound a bit giving more clarity to chords.

15. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Tim/ Timmy
    Throbak Overdrive Boost (my favorite at the moment)
    EQ pedal

all of the above work for me. I'm not real big on riding the volume knob on my Les Paul, but works wonders with my Tele.

16. vhollund

vhollund Member

17. Jam119

Jam119 Member

Klon set up for Volume Boost = Fat & Thick for my rigs...

18. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

keeley katana boost i use it right after o/d's distortions, fuzz pedal. it fattens and volume boosts cleans to so you can keep your amp volume at reasonable volume

19. tonetex

tonetex Member

20. dave s

dave s Member

Really, if you're just wanting to 'fatten' your tone, a great option would be the ZVex Super Hard-On (SHO). It can be set to unity gain, (volume equal to amp with pedal on) and provides little to almost NO gain at a lower setting. Acts more like the 'loudness' button on an older stereo adding both fatter low-end and some top-end sparkle.

dave