Pedal to get a 59 Bassman sound out of a 65 bandmaster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pickslide, Feb 28, 2012.

1. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Title says it all. I have a great sounding 65 fender Bandmaster. What pedal would you recommend to get close to a 59 Bassman tone?

2. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

They are close sounding amps to me. Maybe just an eq pedal or mid boost pedal?

3. King Rat

King Rat Member

If you can't get a 59 bassman sound out of a 65 bandmaster amp..

your doing something wrong...

so you either need to plug in your guitar and have another listen... or be more specific than "title says it all"

p.s. and to be obvious

[​IMG]

4. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Formula No. 5 from Catalinbread.

5. pickslide

Yes I have seen that pedal, just looking for more opinions. I am happy to take advice from anybody, but I could certainly do with out the attitude in your post.

From everything I have read the blackface and tweed circuits are quite different, so I think that this is a fair question.

6. King Rat

King Rat Member

No attitude intended, haha, just being rational, what you read is irrelevant compared to what you hear.

I have a 59 bassman re-issue, and a blackface twin/deluxe reverb and super reverb.. and to be honest, If you are not turning up the volume on the bassman to the point that its stupid unrealistically loud, it is 97%the same as the super reverb, and excluding the speaker config of the twin they are also very similar sounding too.

As far as pedals sounding like an amp, the Boss bassman pedal will get you close in the ballpark for a simple pedal solution,pedals like the formula no.5 and menatone dirty blonde that i have owned.. they are all very dirty tweed/blonde tones... and you didnt say anything about overdrive/dirty sounds, just the bassamp tones... thats what i meant about being more specific to what you want.

7. pickslide

Sorry about that. Sometimes it is hard to tell how something is being said in the context of a discussion thread.

I was talking about getting that big slightly broken up/pushed tone like the one in this clip:

8. King Rat

King Rat Member

yeah i understand, thats my favourite sound, slightly broken up/pushed sound... most "Fender sounding drive pedals" can do that sound, but you need to have the drive set to almost nothing... or they get too fizzy and don't cut the best.

wamplers black 65 is something i havent tried but seems to be the "best" for that sound in a box! anywhere anytime anyhow.

After years of going through the same quest for that sound in a pedal to use with a clean twin etc... I have found the "Fulltone Fat Boost" is the best fit. It only has the tiniest amount of gain.. so much so on single coils/heaps of headroom its basically no gain... and really pushes the tubes in fenders/compresses the sound just the right amount to get that light sound. so maybe look up a fat boost version 1 on the cheaps second hand while they are still priced good and give it a try?

9. King Rat

King Rat Member

p.s.

version 1 & 3 are the made to be really transparent. and that little bit of colour they do is what makes them really sizzle.

version 2 (the red one) the least popular and shortest lived version is said to be the same clean boost, but aimed and giving you a tweedy crunch sound.. so even though the least popular in the "fat" and "clean boost" circles around these parts. might just be perfect for you if thats the way you decide to go.

10. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I'm not a tone hound, but I play a 59 RI and I think the Toadworks Lil Leo sounds like a Bassman beginning to break up.

11. lareplus

lareplus Member

There's a Leo Jr as well. .

12. Nacho Strato

Nacho Strato Member

I've also been chasing that tone for awhile now. I really think it has a lot less to do with tone shaping and a lot more to do with sheer volume. IMO

13. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Member

As weird as it sounds, playing in Eb makes a huge difference too. Somehow Strats just become vibey and thick in Eb. Once you add in a fired up tweed or a boosted blackface you've got the magic of that sound.