Pedal to get a Germino sound????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by journo, Nov 24, 2005.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I listened to the Germino Club 40 sound clips on Germino's web site today and that is a sound I want.

My problem is that there are no Germino dealers in Sweden and I really want to try stuff out before I plonk down serious cash. Club 40 is serious cash!

I was thinking maybe there is a pedal that can make my 6L6 1x12 Traynor YCM-40 sound like that. If you listen to the clips please note the warm and sparkly tone that goes seamlessy from clean to soft overdrive to heavier stuff.

Please surprise with easy to find pedals as Sweden really sucks when it comes to variety of gear to try out.

I'll be happy to read all suggestions though as I really want this sound.

Cheers,

Mats N

2. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

I don't think you are going to be able to really duplicate the sound of a Non-MV amp with a pedal. If you are handy with electronics you may want to consider buying a Weber or Metroamp or Ceriatone Marshall clone kit and build an amp, which would be much less expensive than a Germino.
    If that's not an option check the manufacturers section, Rockytop has a new line of low cost hand wired Marshall clones.

3. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

You could also go with an older used Non-MV Marshall.

Keep in mind also that Celestion Greenback reissues are part of the sound you are hearing in the Germino clips.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I disagree (respectfully) .. I have lots of non-master amps and master amps and loads of pedals.. Lots of pedals can do just fine at it. BUT , I don't have your ycv40 amp so can't tell you which pedals match it. I can get great non-master Marshally tones from certain modded Boss ds1's and an MI Audio blues prototype I have , a Wyllie IScreamMan, and Tim pedal ,etc,etc. They don't have to be all these unique pedals ,either. I must have 20 pedals that 'll do it just fine, but they need to be matched to your amp.. Go to stores , bring your amp or borrow pedals , dial them in , and then good luck. GOod luck

ERIC

p.s. just noticed you're in Sweden.. Check out your local BJF pedals.. They're awesome!

5. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Just buy the Germino. Greg's amps take pedals incredibly well, so once you have the amp, you can then add pedals to your rig and have the best of both worlds. There's no risk at all in buying one of Greg's amps. The build quality and sound are both unsurpassed.

Jeff

6. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Journo,
    Hello. I did those clips on the Germino site. I've been through many, many amps and there is something very special about that Club 40. If it was 40 years old and had a Marshall logo, it would be one of those "holy-grail" Marshalls you hear about, but can never find. It has a great clean-ish sound and amazing distorted tone, and transistions nicely between them.
    As far as the pedals go....the one's I was using were pretty standard pedals (at least here in the states.) I look at them as icing on the cake. If you're cake is not that great tasting to begin with, the icing isn't gonna save it....if you get my meaning? Well, I guess the point is....is that amp sounds pretty magical on it's own and was worth every penny. Really, if that's the tone you seek, it's in the amp and not the pedals. Best of luck to you.

7. Craise

Craise Member

+1 BJF Dyna Red is the way to go

8. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I agree with Third Stone 100%. Your amp and guitar are your main foundation for great tone. A pedal isn't going to make a huge difference if your amp and guitar combo sounds like crap.

Believe me, the Germino Classic 45 is the best amp I've ever played through. It made a huge difference in my sound. Every pedal I've tried so far sounded awesome through it. I'm still on a quest for a good fuzz, but I'm just beginning my search. I'm sure whatever fuzz I try, it will sound great.

I used to have other Marshalls (900 series), Fenders, Mesa Boogies, etc. They all sounded ok, but I was always trying to change the tone with pedals. My Germino sounds fantastic without pedals.

I would trash the pedal idea and either go with a Germino or pick up a early model Marshall Plexi. Not to be sarcastic, but if I had Eric's ear, I would have saved alot of money. Only a Plexi can sound like a Plexi in my opinion.

Mike

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

You wouldn't save a bit of money with my ear! I have 28 different amps and preamps including a 71 Superlead a 2204, a jtm45, etc and other nice vintage pieces as well as a Demeter TGA2-100 , a Demeter TGA-3 75 watter, an ORange or120 , an original THD PLexi , and THD Flexi and many other great amps, and about 50-60 pedals! ;)

ERIC

10. HHB

HHB Member

somewhere in NC Greg Germino is being revived via smelling salts LOL

11. FUSER

FUSER Member

The YCV40 takes pedals very well. I suggest trying a few pedals before going for a non mv amp.

I listend to those clips and they are awesome.

I will suggest a tech 21 GT2 pedal.
    I have the TM10 solid state amp which they say is really the GT2 pedal in amp format. It can be had for cheap on ebay.
    The British- High gain - UK cabinet setting is tops.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have owned a lot of amps. I have owned a lot of pedals.

The Germino Club 40 reset my brain and ears. No pedal is gonna get that sound, trust me. It is the amp.

FWIW, it takes pedals like a monster.

13. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I hear ya Eric, no pun intended. I was actually just being fecicious. I don't mean to offend with the "I would have saved money" comment. I just meant that I wish my quest would have been alot easier and cheaper if I could have found a pedal that would have given me Plexi sounds through what I was using at that time. It's not that easy if you're playing through a two channel, master volume, poopy circuit board style amp. I could never find a Plexi in a box type of pedal. I learned that the only thing that can sound Plexi, IS a Plexi.

Actually I tried the Marshall reissue Plexi's and they don't even sound like a Plexi to me, and they wouldn't and shouldn't because of the way they are built today. I'm sure journo might not be as anal about Plexi tones as I was. But there are ways to steer him in the right direction.

As soon as I got my Germino Classic 45, plugged in, hit my first chord, it was like someone turned back time. Plexi's have their own unique sound and tone. There is something about the complex tone and melodic controllable feedback that you get with a Plexi based amp.

As Third Stone said, with the amp being such an integral part of THE sound, it's hard to duplicate a Plexi sound going through a master volume amp ( I like the icing on the cake analogy by the way). What he said is very true. It's hard to duplicate if your gain is coming more from your pre amp tubes rather than your power amp tubes, also circuitry has alot to do with it. Ask Greg Germino to build one of his amps with a master volume, he won't do it! The guy knows what it takes to get Plexi tones.

My advice to journo is save some coin and buy a solidly built Plexi style amp to get the tones he's after. Not to say he has to buy a Germino, he can get close to the tones he wants with something else that is built from that era of amps. A non master volume, single channel amp will at least get him in the right ball park. I think I would advise him to start there instead of looking for the magic pedal. He should save money and go with what he knows will produce the sound instead of wasting money and throwing pedals away like rotten apples. How's that analogy TS?

Good luck journo!

Mike

14. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Thanks for your time and insights.

There was a time where I (and a lot of other players) thought you could get all the sounds you want/need from one guitar (super strat with all the switches) and one amp rig (refrigerator sized rack of doom). Now most of us realize it's not so. Each guitar has it's own voice to use. Even two seemingly identical guitars (2 strats) can sound different enough to warrant keeping both (if you have the money).

My Traynor YCM-40 takes pedals really well and the basic clean sound is sort of a good Fender 6L6 sound that I'm really happy with. If I hook up a Tonebone Classic or Hot British I get some good early-late Marshall sounds. What I don't get is the "magic properties" that I felt was part of the Club 40 sound that TS has in spades.

My hope with my original post was to find a pedal that would give me the magic. I now realize what I really already knew. I need (read: want) one more amp? That amp will probably be a Germino since this is the first time ever I've been turned on by any sort of Marshall cleanish sounds. Thanks to TS for creating those clips. Non-thanks to TS for causing my economy harm. ;)

BTW is there a site where I can listen to more playing from Third Stone?

Cheers,

Mats N

15. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

So is your honeymoon with the Flexi 50 over with now? Has the Germino replaced the once so loved Thd?

16. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I had to sell the Flexi to get the Germino. Simple financial issue. I love the Flexi, but it wasn't a good fit for the bands/projects I am doing right now. The Germino fits better.

17. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Journo,
    Once you get one, you'll be thanking me even more and really thanking Greg Germino! It sounds like you are a strat player, and this amp really pairs with a strat well, which is NOT to say it doesn't sound awesome with a humbucker equipped gtr. I have a 2x12 cab wired for 4 ohms with weber blue dogs in it, and my strats sound so thick through this cab. Even the normally ice picky bridge is useful. Getting this amp really helped me understand how Jimi got those amazing strat tones on tunes like Axis Bold as Love, now if I only had his hands, talent, genius, etc!!
    Greg's site has a couple tunes I've done on it as well, but that's really the only place that has my playing for you to listen. I'm trying to get a few more things together soon that showcase the club 40 for Greg. Good luck!

18. humbert

humbert Member

Try a Workingman's Blue. That might get you in the ballpark.

19. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

:crazyguyWow. That is a lot of amps.

I agree with what was said about the Plexi reissues. They are based on the one design that everyone "claimed" to be the best sounding plexi. That dark, blanket over the amp sound. When in fact, as far as my experience went the majority of Plexis were not like that. And thank goodness in my most humble opinion!

I prefer the Hiwatt circuit myself. I just love the tight and chimey clean sound from EL34's with the partridge transformers. I have never heard a Greg Germino though. Not sure what sound those things have. Will have to Google that up. He's in North Carolina? Hm. I wonder where. My home is in Western NC. Even though I spend a lot of time in California or other parts of America :/ (I work on 3d animations.)

-Z

20. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Germino rules. I am a strong supporter. No doubtthese are great amps. They are expensive, but one of the few things you can get for your money that is entirely worth it.

Germino in a pedal- tough to compute, but several options- MI Audio crunchbox, radial tonebone british, ZVex Box of Rock (my personal fave for the JTM45/Germino/Marshall sound), and probably countless others..