1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pedal to get near Robben Ford's tone on Rugged Road

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tito83, May 19, 2011.

1. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Yeah, yeah... Another "D"/Ford tone question... But I have nowhere else to ask :p Sorry. :bonk

Anyway...

Love that tone! Had the Zendrive but the low end was not like this tone IMO. So... Alpha Drive? Jetter GSR? Zen2 maybe?

I'd appreciate any help!

2. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

3. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

4. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Freekish Blues Alpha Drive is the "D" tone box of the moment
    ( http://www.freekishblues.com/AlphaDrive.html ) - the You Tube clips sound very convincing (with all the attending disclaimers about demo clips on the Tube) - have not heard one in person though - this one just showed up on my radar off this board a week or so back. If that's what your looking for it might be worth the time to investigate.

5. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Maybe one of the Kingsley pedals ???

6. Tito83

Tito83 Member

I've checked all of them out and I haven't yet found one I really liked. Kingsley are a bit steep and too big, I'm looking for a more "regular" pedal... And that includes the Ethos also ;).

I'm looking for this more wolly/phasy low end if that makes any sense...

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  7. Nashville76

Nashville76 Member

My fav is still the Zendrive.....it's a fantastic pedal.....it's all about dialing it in to your amps tone settings.

8. greeny23

greeny23 Senior Member

agreed on the Zendrive.

9. Bobbyoso

Bobbyoso Member

Can't believe no one has yet asked what amp or guitar you're using. Kinda like asking how to get to a specific restaurant, and folks are giving you directions without asking where you are currently. :)

Assuming you're using a guitar with similar scale length and pickups as what he's using there (not familiar with that particular piece, but have seen and heard Ford since early 70s, so not unfamiliar with his range of tones), and you're using an appropriate starting point for an amp, something like a bf Fender or RI thereof, I'd think the Zendrive should get you in the vicinity. Another worthwhile candidate, IMO, would be the Barber Small Fry.

Of course, trying to get there with a Voxy, Marshally, modelling, etc., amp may require different recipes.