Pedal to help the live tone of a not so great sounding acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fast ricky love, Oct 21, 2005.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

The singer in our band is great, but he's short on $, so he's gotta make do with a thin sounding acoustic... is there a pedal that he can get to help out the tone?

EQ? Compressor? What? :rolleyes:

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

3. jec

jec Member

How much money could he round up?

My first thought was also the LR baggs DI. Our lead singer has one, and (even though I'm not that into acoustics in general) I have to say I was impressed. The LR Baggs soundhole pickupp is also very nice.

jec

4. fast ricky love

Well he did spring for the Baggs M1 Active pickup already... so it makes sense I guess to go with the Para DI. It probably would be a bit higher than he wanted to spend, but he might do it.

Here's a possible factor: when he gets his X-mas bonus, he's gonna spring for an amp that he can plug both his keyboard into and his acoustic. Will that make the Para DI redundant, or will it still be worthwhile...?

5. jec

jec Member

Our (my band's) experience, was that an acoustic amp could not come close to the sound of going through the DI into the PA. That, plus the fact that it was one less thing to haul around sealed the deal. HOWEVER, we never tried a high-end acoustic amp... Our keys went right into the PA also, with good results.

jec

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

try acoustic guitar -> boss ac-2 -> clean electric amp. You'll be floored.

you can get an ac-2 for dirt cheap on ebay.

7. fast ricky love

THAT sounds interesting!

Can you also go acoustic guitar ---> Boss AC-2 ---> PA instead of into an amp? No feedback problems into an amplifier?

8. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Another vote for the Sea Blue EQ by BJF. It was designed for this purpose originally. It may be a bit expensive if you're on a budget though. It is defitnitely worth every penny.

9. fast ricky love

He's got the Baggs M1 Active PU... that BJF would probably be cost prohibitive... wouldn't the Para Acoustic work similarly?

10. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

Is there enough EQ on the board to get the sound you want? If you have a good soundman, he should be able to tweak the sound in. Otherwise, the LR baggs DI would be the way to go. I hate chorus, but have found that a very slight chorus can help the sound a little too.

11. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

What?!?!?!

An LR Baggs acoutic pre-amp with phase, 5 band parametric EQ, and an XLR out won't do as much as a pedal with two tone knobs and a volume? That's crazy talk! The LR Baggs pre-amp was designed FOR the LR Baggs pick-ups, and they sound very good, and are MUCH more versitile than "Bass", "Treble".

I'm not dogging the other pedal, I'm sure it's a great pedal, but the LR Baggs is much more versitile for this guys application.

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey ricky, I've only tried the AC-2 thing going into an electric amplifier.

I'd reckon it would work acoustic -> ac-2 -> DI box -> PA

the ac-2 in either case will help eq your guitar for a sweet acoustic sound

*edit* In regards to your feedback query, I've never had any. Unless you're close to the amp/speaker and you've got the treble cranked, I don't see it happening

13. fast ricky love

Thanks! Anyone think a Chorus + Para Acoustic would be a good idea?

14. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Try a Yamaha Majicstomp on the acoustic setting, mic modeling simulator thing, that's what I use... it's awesome, I play a Gibson Chet Atkins steel string through it and it's amazing how much it warms up the tone... really sounds much better than just the guitar into d.i.

15. erksin

erksin Member

The Para DI is a pretty hard one to beat IMO...

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

A good compressor is a very popular choice to fatten up the tone and smooth the dynamics of a an acoustic. Two very good ones are the Barber tone press and the Aphex punch factory. For a cheaper EQ alternative there is the Boss GE-7. Also simply putting heavier strings on the gtr will improve tone. Chorus can fatten up just about anything but if overused it can sound gimmicky.

17. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I think the operative phrase in the question is "wouldn't the Para Acoustic work similarly?" (to the SBEQ) and the answer to that is a resounding NO for the precise reasons you state - options for phase, 5 bands of EQ, XLR, etc. means far more to dial in than volume, bass, treble. Having more knobs and options may be a better thing given a particular application, but if you just want to plug in and go with nice tone, with a minimum of knob twiddling and fuss, the SBEQ is tough to beat.

Can they be made to *sound* similar sonically? Probably, but I've never used the Para Acoustic so I can't say for sure.

18. raz

raz Member

If you're not concerned with authenticity, then yes it will work. IMHO, chorus doesn't help a cheap acoustic sound like a good acoustic, it just masks the thinness of the cheeseball. It's an artificial sound. It's not a bad sound, but not organic.

A compressor+Para Acoustic DI will help more to make a cheap acoustic sound like a better instrument. So will the Rockman Acoustic simulator pedal. I haven't used the AC-2, but on paper, it too would do the trick.

I like the Yamaha AG-Stomp as well, and you can probably get one of those for cheaper than the Para Acoustic DI+pedal. Then you have the whole shebang to work with; DI, EQ, compression, mic modeling, effects, presets, midi, etc. I'm not knocking the PADI, I have one and I'm a big fan. But for south of $200 used, the AG-Stomp gives you a whole lot of options for finding what works for you.

The MagicStomp doesn't have the same flexibility as the AG-Stomp.

19. what?

what? Member

Look that item up in ebay, the answer to your search, toobad the seller wont ship overseas if not, I would've got it by now :)

Frantone acoust-a-boost..

20. fast ricky love

You guys ROCK! Great thoughts... I've got a lot to mention to him now, thanks!