Pedal to help tighten up sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Audioholic, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

I was never really a pedal person, I have a Randall RM4 with only a few modules, and am maybe thinking of putting an od pedal in front, I have heard that it can help tighten up the sound, and having the ability to boost a little would be a nice bonus I think.

So, any suggestions, I don't mind a little color, as long as its not tone sucking. If you are selling such a pedal, you can hit me up and I will at least take it into consideration. Budget would be around the 100-150 used market.

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Depends on what you mean by "tighten". A compressor might work better than an OD for you. I've been "tightening" my own sound lately, and by far the biggest improvement came when I switched from a Vox-style amp to a 1968 Fender.

3. cacibi

cacibi Member

I would agree that you should also consider a compressor. The OD tightens the sound because all OD's also compress the signal to some degree. If you like the sound of your amp already - a compressor would help tighten it in the same way - but with more control and the possibility that your overdrive will sound less natural when using a pedal.

4. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Check out the Barber Tone Press. It will tighten up your sound without killing your attack. I leave mine on all the time.

5. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

well,

I have a little bit of compression that I can use on my G-system pedal, I guess I am looking for a pedal up front that has the ability to boost the signal a tad, and also provide a pleasing tonal addition. thakns

6. giggedy

giggedy Member

possible a boost, something with some sparkle to it, like the super duper.

7. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

The primary cause of 'looseness' is excessive bass coming into the input of the amp. Most ODs act as treble boosters which will help tighten up the sound. The same goes for some amp input stages - ie. cut the bass as part of the inherent design of the amp.

First, you could try cutting the bass on the amp's EQ - Fender EQs act pre-distortion, so this should help.

An external EQ pedal will also work, or any pedal that has some sort of EQ/way to cut the bass frequencies back a little.

8. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

I thought of an eq, but I would like something that I could use to drive the input a bit, I have a pretty good sound, but thought it might be nice to add another flavor or color going in.

So let me rephrase this a bit, What od or boost pedal will work well with a randall rm4??

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Try a Durham Sex Drive

10. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

ayan smooth and slim

11. jcat

jcat Member

I agree with nibus: the Barber Tone Press is the way to go. Mr. Barber calls the setting "magic dust for single coils "

12. tubeboy76

tubeboy76 Member

+1 Durham Sex Drive...it is aptly named.

13. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

A Klon switched on and running at unity gain or as a clean boost with the gain all the way down will work really well to tighten things up and make things sound a little more "forward".

14. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

The Sex drive looks pretty sweet.

Does the tone control allow for bass rolloff if turned past unity?

15. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

My friend and numerous people swear by the BBE Sonic stomp to tighten up thier sound.

16. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I think the BB Preamp is good at that. At least with the Badger 18. The amp can be kind of loose in the way it breaks up and in the bottom end and it cleans it right up. Also great to boost leads.

17. KennethC

KennethC Member

The tighest OD I've ever tried is the Blackstone OD. You owe it to yourself to try one for the effect you're looking to get. :)

The BBE doesn't really tighten up the sound per se...it adds a hi-fi sheen of clarity to the tone. Owned it for a year, 'twas a nice pedal, acted as a mini-EQ of sorts as well.

18. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

The blackstone looks neat, and sounds great, the interface is a bit unconventianal.

At this point, I think I am leaning toward something like a BB Preamp, or the sexdrive. How does a maxon OD9 Overdrive Pedal fall into this bunch? I could probally pick one of those right up at a local sammy ash.

19. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

20. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

Well I guess someone had to say it right?