Pedal to make crunchy 18W Marshall sound Fuzzy??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TJT79, Mar 25, 2015.

1. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Dear TGP

I am about to build a clone of an 18W Marshall (will post pics and review once completed). I'm talking a tweaked 1974X circuit (non-trem side).

I want a pedal to go into the ALREADY CRUNCHY amp which will make it sound fuzzy.

This may be a well-behaved, not-too-mushy Fuzz pedal, but perhaps there are OD pedals or boosts which would have the same effect or work better into a dirty amp?

I don't know much about fuzz pedals. I've heard and liked demos (Youtube only!) of the following pedals:
    - Fuzz Face Silicon
    - Catalinbread Karma Suture
    - Frantone Cream Puff (and Peach Fuzz too)
    - Some Muffs, although these tend to be a bit muddy for my tastes

BUT most demos go into a clean(ish) amp, so I may be barking up the wrong tree! Would an OD or booster be better suited to a dirty amp? The exception is perhaps the Karma S. which has a few crunchy videos and sounds good.

I realise there may be quite a bit of variation in the list above in terms of sound. This is purely based on Youtube videos, so I guess maybe I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I would prefer Silicon over Germanium for stability reasons. Or hybrids which are supposedly much more stable than pure GE circuits. I want the pedal to sound the same (or very close) every time I turn it on - regardless of temperature, phase of the moon, wind direction etc.

The fuzz would be an occasional-use pedal - most stuff we play wouldn't need fuzz. This would be for lead work, and the occasional song which has fuzzy rhythm. Think QOTSA, Black Keys, a few fuzzy Weezer songs etc. Not that I play that music necessarily, but I guess those are roughly the tones I'm looking for.

And remember - I need these tones through an already dirty 18W clone!!!

I live in Argentina in a small rural town where trying pedals is impossible. I am able and willing to build myself from a kit.

I've tried to be comprehensive at the beginning to avoid more questions. But if there's anything I've missed out please let me know.

Any advice at all is very welcome! I realise this may be a bit vague.

Many thanks in advance.
    TJT

2. TJT79

TJT79 Member

PS.

Don't want a big wall of mush. Fuzzy but defined. Maybe I'm straddling the line between OD and fuzz?

I am considering a Naga Viper as a good, tweakable boost. On low 'Range' settings this may get fuzzy enough? Comments?

Also looking at a clone of a Sweet Honey OD - sounds great by itself, maybe into a dirty amp it'll get a bit fuzzy?

Comments welcome again. Cheers.

3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

A Muff is probably not what you want. They tend to sound best with clean amps.

You might like a fuzz face. The blue Hendrix is great into a dirty amp. A treble booster will give you more gain but won't really sound fuzzy.

You could try something like a Univox Super Fuzz or a clone of one. Those sound massive and fuzzy no matter where you put them.

My favorite, into my 20w Marshall, is a MKI Tone Bender. It's low gain enough that it is still clear and articulate with the amp dimed but also sounds really fuzzy and has that scratchy decay at the end of notes.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

hot cake

one of the best pedals with an 18 watt marshall

from clean boost to overdrive to rat crunch to muff

a legendary box; can get super fuzz but retain punch

5. jordane93

jordane93 Member

6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Throbak Overdrive Boost.

It's pretty much built exactly for this situation.

7. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

LMMD. It sounded great with my 18w clone.

8. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Check out roknfnrol's demo of the EHX Germanium Overdrive. I think it sounds just like what you described and is very affordable:

http://youtu.be/Nlzi_D1tUEk

9. ispunk

ispunk Supporting Member

EHX Double Muff

10. onwingsoflead

onwingsoflead Member

When I had a 1974x my favorite sludge box was a mid 70s Distortion Plus. Also Fuzz Factory got heavy usage with that amp

11. Smow09

Smow09 Member

Try a tone bender style, I like the solidgoldfx Rosie; with the gain pulled back a little it blends well into middy overdrive

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

13. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Thanks for all your replies. I'll investigate all the suggestions this evening.

I already had the Hotcake on the radar - but can't find any clips into a dirty amp!

Note: I would really prefer no Germanium! I don't buy into the 'Mojo' - I need solid, reliable equipment that works the same EVERY time I plug in! Some of the GE-based pedals sound fantastic but I'm happy if I get 95% of the way there with much better stability.

Cheers.

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

it's been around for 40 years, there's gotta be something! :D

if you do buy used try to stick with the regular hot cake, versus the bluesberry. then newer ones have better switches and an option to set it regular or b.b.

there's not a huge difference between the two but i like the regular version best

with the 18watt 1974x the grind is pretty raspy and bright - still super sweet, but depending on the cab, will still be a "trebly" warm. the hot cake adds in upper mids and a low end thunder that really compliments that circuit.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

This or the naga viper treble booster. Its a silicon based booster.

Definitely NOT a big muff. Way too much gain. Those work best into clean amps IMO.

A full on fuzz/face is also not ideal into a dimed 18 watter. When you listen to Jimi play fuzz his amp is barely at AC/DC crunch. 18 watters can get way crunchier.

16. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah the screwdiver is Another great choice. So is this.
    [​IMG]

18. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

This is what I came in here to say. The Lunar Module was literally made to do what you want. The body knob gives you control over the low end to ensure it never gets too mushy. Based loosely on a silicon FF, but with way more control. The Hybrid Fuzz Driver is also a good choice if you don't need quite as much gain (or primarily use humbuckers).

19. TJT79

TJT79 Member

I've seen some videos of the Naga Viper, and it sounds fantastic. I'll be buying/building one of those ANYWAY. Maybe I'll just get that to start with and play it for a while. Perhaps this will be the only pedal I need. I'd love to just have one!! Sorry, I know this goes against the ethos of a lot of people here :).

Lunar Module and Screwdriver both look good - will investigate further...

Thanks again.
    TJT

20. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Thanks again everyone who's made suggestions. I'm watching videos right now!

Any new ideas?

Cheers