Pedal to make electric guitar sound like acoustic?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mitch236, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I was at the Rush concert and AL was able to make his LP sound like an acoustic guitar. Is there a pedal that does that?

2. blacknblues

blacknblues Member

Here's one: Boss AC3 Acoustic Simulator Pedal. I'm sure there are others as well.

3. iwantmypie

iwantmypie Member

the boss pedal is the only one i can think of but i believe a lot of touring pros use piezo systems installed on their guitars. one notable pro i can think of using it is pete townshend.

4. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

+1 on the boss ac-3, I've used it before with fenders. Sounds good for the most part I think when you hit single notes or run lines scales / arpeggios etc it sounds slighly hoaky but for strumming out chords it seems to be more then ok especially live, 70% of people don't notice textural things when their drinking :)

I was looking for the acoustic in a box solution a while back when I gigged, the easy way out for me after doing the AC-3 setup was getting a parker mojo which had a piezo in the bridge and truly sounded acoustic. Now I regret selling the guitar but once I saw the Gibson Slash les paul I realized there is a way to have the best of both worlds

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=56

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/instr...aggs_T-Bridge,_Piezo_Loaded_Tune-o-matic.html

$150-200- minimal amount of holes to drill.
    I bet good cash that Alex has a piezo bridge installed!

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

He does. He's mentioned that in recent articles.
    And before returning to the LP's he had a couple PRSi (most notably the red one) that had a piezo system installed.

-Ben

6. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

well there it is.

you owe me $15,000,000
    I bet good cash :D

7. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

8. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

i think fishman make a peizo bridge, i'm pretty sure slash uses it live...
    never tried but you could always have a crack at the digitech crossroads pedal
    i think they've used claptons layla unplugged sound, which is a 1930's martin 000...

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yep the Fishman Power Bridge. It is a drop in for teles or strats. The Nashville Power Tele comes standard with it. It is pretty decent as far as peizos go.

Btw, imo all those acoustic simulator pedals sound worse than the lousiest peizo pup set up.

10. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

To get the best acoustic tine from an electric guitar, installing the piezo bridge is necessary =)

11. Stratso

Stratso Member

I've tried a few of the acoustic simulators.. the only one that I liked was the one built into the ZOOM 3000, or whatever it was called.. It was a plastic multi-effect that basically sucked balls except for that one sound.

It sounded good when I needed an acoustic sound with the band playing, but there's no way I could strum and sing a song alone that way. You need a real acoustic guitar for that.

12. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

the rockman acoustic guitar pedal. you gotta hunt one down!

13. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Here's an option if you don't want a piezo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoBNDmesECk

these are sims I've developed quite a lot since this vid was recorded. From what I know quite a few TGPers use 'em.

There was no other processing at all and it was recorded direct into the PC, the guitar is not piezo equipped or active.

14. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

DON"T go with a pedal!!!!
    Alex from Rush and Pete Townsend and all of those guys use piezo bridges, NOT acoustic pedals. It will save you some tone issues...on my opinion, not too many things sound worse than a fake acoustic coming from an electric...

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've fought with this for years. I'm really picky about acoustic sounds and I hate that plastic, piezo sound. I tried a lot of simulators from multieffects to the Passac Acoustic Simulator (all analog from the late 80s and rare as hen's teeth). None of them sound like an acoustic.
    Next I tried a VG8 and GK2 pickup, not bad for sound but an artificial feel.
    I tried piezo pickups from Parker, Fishman, Ovation, Martin, Takamine, Moore etc-none of them got it right, and the more solid the guitar the less realistic it was (so a piezo Martin sounds a world better than a piezo Moore).
    Now I've found the Fishman Aura preamp (which, like the Dtar Mama Bear) adds a sampled sound of an acoustic to the piezo sound. With my Parker Nitefly it sounds REALLY good. You can buy the individual Aura pedals for just over $200, or the Aura Preamp with downloadable models for around $450 used (or do like I did and haunt GC till one shows up for less than $300). Drop a Fishman Powerbridge in your favorite axe and you're there!

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Actually, the Boss AC-2 (unsure about the AC-3) works as an excellent acoustic amp simulator. Simply plug an acoustic into the AC-2 and plug that into a fender twin (or any other electric clean amp). kick on the ac-2 and voila...... sparkling acoustic tones.

I'd imagine that a piezo through an AC-2 would yield very similar results

17. kidcheesyriffs

kidcheesyriffs Member

I've used a Boss AC-2 into a parametric EQ pedal, and gotten good results. :phones