• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pedal to sound like a mesa boogie?

Peeb

I love the "boogie" patch on my podxt (models the Mark IIc+), but I want to wean myself off the pod and start playing with a "real" pedal board into a tube amp.

Assuming I can't afford a mesa boogie, is there a "mesa boogie in a box" similar to the myriad of pedal I see emulating the marshall sound??

Last edited:

oxtone

Being a long time Boogie owner (Mesa Studio Pre/Simul 2:90), I think the
closest pedal would be the Radial Tonebone Classic, which is a highly tweakable pedal with three midrange options. Just my 2 cents...

Waxhead

I love the "boogie" patch on my podxt, but I want to wean myself off the pod and start playing with a "real" pedal board into a tube amp.

Assuming I can't afford a mesa boogie, is there a "mesa boogie in a box" similar to the myriad of pedal I see emulating the marshall sound??
Good idea to get off a POD but we get this thread post asked quite often on TGP. Same answer every time.

Which Mesa tone ??? There is no single great Mesa tone. There's literally 100's of em.

Mesa currently make over 30 amps. They're all different and they're all great. So do you want the searing long sustain leads made famous by Carlos Santana on the Mark series amps, the high gain darkness of Recto's made famous by Metalllica, the high gain lead of Dream Theatre, or the better than Fender clean tones of a Lonestar or Express 5:50. Maybe you want Mark IV Crunch, the F-50 high gain or Stiletto sparkle. The list goes on and on.

And no pedal will do ANY of them justice, especially not a cheap MFX. Analog pedals can't do it either. Play some real Mesa's and you'll know what I mean. :cool:

Peeb

Good idea to get off a POD but we get this thread post asked quite often on TGP. Same answer every time.

Which Mesa tone ??? There is no single great Mesa tone. There's literally 100's of em.

Mesa currently make over 30 amps. They're all different and they're all great. So do you want the searing long sustain leads made famous by Carlos Santana on the Mark series amps, the high gain darkness of Recto's made famous by Metalllica, the high gain lead of Dream Theatre, or the better than Fender clean tones of a Lonestar or Express 5:50. Maybe you want Mark IV Crunch, the F-50 high gain or Stiletto sparkle. The list goes on and on.

And no pedal will do ANY of them justice, especially not a cheap MFX. Analog pedals can't do it either. Play some real Mesa's and you'll know what I mean. :cool:
The tone that is copied on the podxt! :D

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
The Barber Dirty Bomb kind of reminds me of a Mesa Grind. I have a mesa mark IV for reference.

But I agree with the others that if you really want a mesa sound buy a mesa. The Nomads, DC series, F-series, mark III, can still be had to reasonable prices....

stucker

My Landgraff Mo'd reminds me somewhat of the overdrive channel of my Boogie Studio Preamp (based off the IIC I think). I use the Mo'd for those types of sounds with my Fender Twin.

Peeb

OK- according the the podxt manual- it's the Mark IIc+.

Sorry to be vague earlier.

Peeb

The Barber Dirty Bomb kind of reminds me of a Mesa Grind. I have a mesa mark IV for reference.

But I agree with the others that if you really want a mesa sound buy a mesa. The Nomads, DC series, F-series, mark III, can still be had to reasonable prices....
I want SOME boogie, but not necessarily 24/7 boogie. Could you run like a "marshall" flavored pedal thru the clean channel of a mesa boogie and get credible sounds? Don't know.

Waxhead

OK- according the the podxt manual- it's the Mark IIc+.

Sorry to be vague earlier.
Geeez Peeb - forget your POD - it's a piece of poo compared to any Mesa. Have never heard that patch and am not interested in doing so. I'll guarantee you one thing - any similarity between any POD patch and a real Mark IIc+ (or any Mesa) will be purely accidental. I'm not being a tube snob about it either. I've got a cheap MFX too - they have their place. I'm just telling the truth IMHO.

And yes, I often use an MI Audio Crunchbox pedal thru the clean channel on my Mesa and it sounds very much like a Marshall JCM800 or 900. That's what it's designed to do.

Peeb

Geeez Peeb - forget your POD - it's a piece of poo compared to any Mesa. Have never heard that patch and am not interested in doing so. I'll guarantee you one thing - any similarity between any POD patch and a real Mark IIc+ (or any Mesa) will be purely accidental. I'm not being a tube snob about it either. I've got a cheap MFX too - they have their place. I'm just telling the truth IMHO.

And yes, I often use an MI Audio Crunchbox pedal thru the clean channel on my Mesa and it sounds very much like a Marshall JCM800 or 900. That's what it's designed to do.
Regarding mesa boogie being > PODXT: no doubt!

Exactly why I'm departing the pod. It was sort of a "sampler" for me to get my feet wet. I currently have a fender tube amp. Short of buying a mesa boogie, the pedal route was my next best short term option.

Twin63

Check out the new Tech 21 California (one of the new Character series of pedals they offer). Supposed to emulate a wide range of Mesa tones. It's basically a Sansamp pedal that can be used as a stompbox (OD/dist) or as a preamp.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Probably a good dist/od pedal w/ a lot of mids(maybe even a graphic eq pedal). Check out a Lovekraft Chupacabra w/ a Boss Graphic EQ!

Peeb

Check out the new Tech 21 California (one of the new Character series of pedals they offer). Supposed to emulate a wide range of Mesa tones. It's basically a Sansamp pedal that can be used as a stompbox (OD/dist) or as a preamp.
Read a bit about those in the recent MusiciansFriend flyer. Interesting concept.

Ized

Goosonique 7th heaven or the toneczar openhaus.

The tubezone paled in comparison to those pedals IMO.

scott58

The wampler super plextortion will scatch that itch a bit. That was my favorite amp model also until i got that pedal. Run it straight into your POD. Turn off your amp model and stack it with the tube driver or proco rat in the POD. I got real happy after that. The pedal improved the over all quality of the POD by alot.

slopeshoulder

To many people who were there, "Boogie tone" means mark IIB or C.

Trending Topics