Pedal to turn an overdriven Marshall into a Mesa Rectifier?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nosajwp, Oct 24, 2008.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

Is there a boost pedal or other OD pedal that can be used in front of an already overdriven Marshall (JCM 800) to push it into a super crunchy Mesa Rectifier type of sound?

2. Belmont

Belmont Member

it would be hard to make a Marshall sound that bad,try two Metal Zones at the same time.

3. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I would try a Mesa pedal first, Bottle Rocket or V-Twin should help, only one thing sounds like a Mesa though, tough sound to re-create, easier to make a Mesa sound like a Marshall, you just turn the gain and the volume both way down!! Just for the last post. All in fun!!!

4. somedude

somedude Member

Despite their name/looks, the Bottle Rocket and V-Twin won't really make anything sound like a Rectifier.

As for finding a pedal that'll do it.... the MI Audio Tube Zone covers that sorta territory, and provided you've never heard a Rectifier in person you might even believe it sounds like one. Problem is, trying to make a Marshall output that kinda bottom end and hold tight doing it. One look at the Mesa's transformers explains everything.

5. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

oddly enough, I used to put a Sonic Stomp in the loop of my Laney GH100L and I'd get that Mesa gain instantly through it-

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    No can do Nosa :huh

Try a real Dual Rectifier - that's why they cost over $3000

7. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

:rotflmao

8. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

Ok, how about a pedal to turn an overdriven Marshall into something similar to a Soldano SLO?

9. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

1. An eq pedal might be a consideration to get you the voicing and to dial out some of the MArshall mids.

2. Something like the BB preamp with gain half way plus the gain of your mv opened to 6 or 7 will get you the distortion you want but the tone will be still MArshall-ish.

3. Something like a H and K tube preamp pedal run into effects loop and then makes use of your output stage for the grunt but again you'd have to have an effects loop and i am not sure if all loops are created equal in terms of whether or not they by pass the preamp stages of the amp.

4. Go to metropoulos amp forum and pick up some mods to beef up , tone shape, and get more gain out of your JCM.

All 4 options start from cheapest to most expensive. :p (except option 4 , that is just time and know how) I currently use option #2 with my JCM 800. Works for me though yes, slightly "coloured" tone wise.

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I like the BB preamp idea for getting SLO tones. Butler tube driver will also work.

For recto tones you definitely need an EQ first off. The frequency response in marshalls and mesas are totally different. Lots more mid scoop with the rectifiers, and the bass is completely different as well.

You'll also need to probably trick out a little extra gain from the marshall. I would use a fulldrive 2 mosfet in flat mids mode with the boost engaged (to bring back some bass). I would run that with an EQ after it, or with the EQ in the loop if you have one.

11. Julia343

Julia343 Member

1. You cannot make a Fender amp sound like a Marshall
    2. You cannot make a Marshall amp sound like a Mesa

To add some Mesa-like flavor however, get a Mesa V-twin Preamp.