Pedal tuners... Buffers? 1/2 step tuning?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Funky54, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Funky54

Funky54 Member

How do they compare with tuning down half a step? What ones are good buffers?

Any of them show "E flat" and not "D sharp"?

2. Funky54

Funky54 Member

3. hktk

hktk Member

I have a DT 10 which I'm pretty happy with/don't notice any tone loss. The buffer in it certainly made my Fender Classic Volume regain my original sound. It has a step down setting that allows you to tune to different tunings while still showing stander tuning on the display. I usually tune to Db so I find this handy.

4. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

The TU2 has a good buffer, tunes up/down, has a setting for bass, and much more. Not sure off the top of my head if it shows sharps or flats though, sorry.

5. DRS

DRS Member

Eb instead of D#?
    You've lost me:huh

6. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Pretty sure he means what the display on the pedal reads (ie showing Eb symbol instead of D# symbol on the screen. same note, but different annotation)

7. jetstrat

jetstrat Member

Just get a turbo tuner :)
    True bypass and programable
    I use one and tune to Eb

8. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

TU-2 shows sharps, no flats. Same with the new TU-3. They'd be my pick, for overall quality: good buffer, wide range of features, sturdy and dependable.

9. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Yep, just checked mine, it has the little # symbol, even though the modes are labeled with a b symbol. Other than that it does everything you want.

10. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Thanks everyone.. I am really commited to the idea of having it show Eb and not D#. Maybe the Turbo Tuner you mentioned will work well. If not, its a deal breaker for me, and I'll just keep my old Sabine 1500 and forget a pedal tuner. I need a buffer on my one side of a stereo rig, and thought this would make for the perfect solution.

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

with the demise of the korg DT-10, the TU-3 is the last of the mohicans in terms of prominent buffered tuner pedals, it seems.

all the other good ones are true bypass.

the turbo tuner is best by a mile of course, and when set to Eb mode, a "flat" light stays on while the display still shows "E", for example. you could mentally see the result as E "flat".

you'd still need a buffer, though; visual sound has just come out with a little standalone buffer box for like $50.

12. b3john

b3john Member

Barber can add a mini buffer inside most of his pedals, it takes the place of the 9v battery.

13. Funky54

Funky54 Member

thats cool to know.. I may try a Silver LTD instead of my Butah.

14. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

:huh

15. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Twirl your little noggin all you want...

I drag all the PA gear and lighting out of the house into a car..unload, set up, Remeber the lyrics, play guitar, use effects..tare down, load in a car, take home, unload into the house. As a Rythym player, sometimes lead and vocalist the last thing I want to do with my dyslexic mind is sit there while between songs and say the alphabet in my head to know what string i'm runing cause a tuner pedal cant show the right typical string name in a half step flat tuning.

If it cant it doesnt help me and I might as well not use a tuner and just bug the other guitar player to play a E to get me started...asssuming he tunes down cause he might not like to.

Its quit possible you are the very smartest guitar player in the universe and nothing effects or rattles you, so you just dont need any help or have any quirks. If thats the case, I sure wish you'd stop being lazy and fix world hunger, the national debt and solve the mystery of why they put the blue M&Ms back in the bag. Us mortals just cant take on anything else.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Why not just use the TU3, NOT in chromatic mode. Set it to half step down and it will read 1-2-3-4-5-6, depending on which string you are tuning.