Pedal Tuners...The Dirty Truth!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 12345678, Jul 28, 2008.

1. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

What is the best pedal tuner on the market today and why?

Peterson Strobostomp?
    Korg Pitchblack?
    Sonic Research ST-200?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

answered in the turbo tuner thread. Please don't double post

3. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

Jeez sorry...if that was the case nobody would ever post on here. I'm sure every question has been answered by now.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

slightly humorous

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Yeah but posting a question in a thread then starting a thread before you ever get the answer is a bit silly.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Not if you wait for an answer and nobody responds. I have been in the same situation. If it's a rule, then that's one thing, but if you give sufficient time for a response and get no answer, then what do you do then? Not to mention the fact that some people may feel like they have gone off topic, and they may want to take their question to a separate thread. At least that's how I have felt in a similar situation. But again, if it's a rule (or if his question was indeed sufficiently answered), then I apologize.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

He posted the question in the turbo tuner thread (a highly active thread, I should add) at 11:36 am EST. You do the math

8. Zero

Zero Member

Leave the moderating to the moderators, son.

9. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

the whole 'best' with regards to pedals is bad enough.

tuners? come on. I have a korg (dt-10?) or whatever and it works fine.

I guess the only criteria should be:

- can you see it on stage
    - is it true bypass
    - how big is it (footprint)
    - is it built well/ durable
    - is it accurate/ does it tune properly

after that who cares?

10. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

He couldn't wait 4 minutes? Because, that's how long it took for his question (albeit, worded a little differently) to get answered in the other thread. :NUTS

11. socal63

socal63 Member

well i saw this one, so someone answer the damn question here...
    :argue

i need this info as well :moon only serious...

12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thank you for the voice of reason. The only thing "silly" about this thread is how quick a non-issue got turned into something "sensitive". I'll bet it set some kind of record.

As far as the OP goes, I'd like to know: Who makes a decent pedal tuner that is both True Mechanical Bypass and has LED's or is backlit bright enough to see on an outdoor stage? I bought a Planet Waves tuner that advertised as being True Bypass and it's not; It messes with the tone of my OD pedals. Also, it's not bright enough to see outdoors, even on a covered stage, on an overcast day.

Is this an appropriate question or, or is it likely to offend someone? Ah, please don't answer that. I was being facetious.

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I use a Strobo for set ups and a Pitchblack on my board. Never heard of the ST-200? I think it depends a bit on what you need.

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

15. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

man... rough in here

16. wc8485

wc8485 Member

The best tuner is the A/B box you put in front of the pedal tuner that is the most accurate. IMO.

Now, if the rest of your string section doesnt pony up and get a tuner with the same accuracy.... Moot point to most, but I've seen posters on here that claim they can hear the differences.
    One thing leads to another. If you're just playin' in your bedroom, it does not matter. If you're in a band, perhaps take a looksie at what the bass (and possibly the other guitar) is using.
    Remember this (always)... The best of anything is subjective... Determine your needs, then scour the specs of all aforementioned tuners and pick the one that suits you and your situation.

Posters will respond with their experience with a certain pedal with their gear, and their situation. hehe, here's an analogy for ya. Post on say, a fabric message board: What's the best fabric.
    Granted that's a little excessive, a tuner's a tuner pretty much... I think you get what I mean though.

17. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

By the way...it seems like my starting this thread has caused some backlash. Yes, I did ask this question on a thread that was dedicated to the new ST200 by Sonic Research. After about 1.5 minutes...maybe less...I figured that thread was probably a tad bit biased to the ST200 and I figured I probably would not get an unbiased perspective. So, I started a NEW thread. Yes, people start new threads on here daily. In this NEW thread, I want to know what TGP'ers believe to be the best pedal tuner available today.

Who in the hell cares if I start a pedal tuner thread!?!?! If you're a mod, then fine. If you're just a dude with 10k worth of gear who is still trying to play "Sweet Home Alabama" but just LOVES his tone and gets his rocks off by signing on to a gear forum on the internet and acting like the very advanced tone guru to make up for the fact that he is and always has been a WAY below average guitarist then...yeah...gimme a break.

(if this doesn't apply to you, please excuse the above rant.)

Thanks for the replies! I think the debate is still open.

What makes a great pedal tuner great?? And what is the best one out there insofar as accuracy, durability, and usability is concerned?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  18. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Sonic research is my favorite. It's got great accuracy, it tracks WAY better/quicker than the peterson and the new box version is true enough bypass for me. Still a little tough to read in the daylight, but other than that it's killer. I bought it for the accuracy.

I know the petersons are highly regarded and super tuners but it can't keep up in a head to head with the sonic research, no way.

plexi

19. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Man, was I sorry I got involved! But then again, Guitar Dave and the guy who started this thread both made me realize that maybe I was right. Or maybe I just poured gas on the fire.... Hell, I don't know!.

By the way, I love Sweet Home Alabammy. But I'm up to "I Know A Little" and then some at this point. I have a Boss TU-12 (I think that's the model-- Whatever the old industry standard is that everybody uses) and it seems okay. I wish I could afford a Strobostomp or something in that range, but I really can't see spending that much right now (and I don't really need it). I'd rather spend that kind of money on a BC-108 Sunface or a Megavibe.

20. socal63

socal63 Member

hehe :banana:hide