Pedal with power on off switch to save battery?

Bezzy

Is this silly, I noticed I always un plug my pedals when using a battery so they don't go dead. So what about a switch to kill power from the battery instead?
Would this work.

vintage66

Analogman has one of the knobs work as an on-off switch as an option. I wish my Sunface had it.

MG90

Some pedals disengage the battery when an adapter is plugged in. One trick is to get some adapter ends and insert them into the pedals when you are done playing, effectively switching off the batteries.

Blunder

Supporting Member
I've been using the on/off pots on my fuzz builds lately. Love 'em.
It's pretty easy to wire in a toggle kill switch to existing circuits too, but you gotta commit to drilling a hole in the box.

tibbon

Why in the world aren't you guys using external power supplies instead of batteries? Batteries are rather wasteful overall.

Some pedals disengage the battery when an adapter is plugged in. One trick is to get some adapter ends and insert them into the pedals when you are done playing, effectively switching off the batteries.
Most do this. You can use extra daisy chain outs or cut and tape some 2.1 mm neg-center boss-style jacks to make little battery saver plugs.

otaypanky

Gold Supporting Member
I often wondered if having a power supply plugged in disconnects the battery even if the pedal has a cable plugged in to the input ~

I guess the right answer is some pedals do and some don't?

snouter

Why in the world aren't you guys using external power supplies instead of batteries? Batteries are rather wasteful overall.
Some fuzzes tonal characteristics are enhanced with carbon zinc batteries. I did a comparison and posted it on YT with Fulltone fuzzes to show with his, the carbon zinc vs alkaline is really not that noticeable at all.

MG90 has a good idea with putting in extra plugs to override the battery if the pedal is designed for that and there are extra 9v adaptor plugs around. Those little things are gonna get lost fast though in real life I would imagine.

teleclem

Yeah, you can cut out the plugs out of some old dc chain you have lying around and use them.

Somewhat related: Does the Turbo Tuner cut out the battery power when it's not switched on? I think I read that somewhere (not sure if it's in the manual). Never really had to change the batteries on mine, but I did after a couple of months just in case.

Also, I think the batt o meter analogman sells could be useful. That way, you won't have to guess if the battery will die out.

tibbon

Some fuzzes tonal characteristics are enhanced with carbon zinc batteries. I did a comparison and posted it on YT with Fulltone fuzzes to show with his, the carbon zinc vs alkaline is really not that noticeable at all.

MG90 has a good idea with putting in extra plugs to override the battery if the pedal is designed for that and there are extra 9v adaptor plugs around. Those little things are gonna get lost fast though in real life I would imagine.
Is it anything that you can't do without the sag circuit on a PP2+?

I often wondered if having a power supply plugged in disconnects the battery even if the pedal has a cable plugged in to the input ~

I guess the right answer is some pedals do and some don't?
You'll know if the LED cuts off/on when you plug it in or unplug it.

Trending Topics