Pedal without indicator LED? Is it annoying?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LPSupreme11, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LPSupreme11

LPSupreme11 Member

I'm interested in a hand-wired recreation of fuzz, but the vintage circuit had no LED. I like that they are sticking to the trueness of the circuit but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with using a pedal with no LED in a live show situation. Is it a major inconvenience?

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I've never had an issue.. especially if its a fuzz. The only time I can think of is if when I set up my rig and the wah is on and I can't figure out why my rig sounds weird.. "oh the wah is already on!"

3. Kluch

Kluch Member

It is sort of a pain IMO. But I guess it depends on the context of where you're playing. My 85 WF rat reissue didn't have an LED (since it was a "true" replica and all) and even though it was obvious when it was on versus when it wasn't. I was always second guessing myself trying to make sure I hadn't left it on after or between a song. Depending on the venue it might not make a huge deal I guess. But to me it was an annoyance. Of course you could always have the pedal modded.

hippieboy, coltonius and LPSupreme11 like this.
  4. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

Yep, same thing happens to me more than I care to admit.

The only other pedal I have that doesn't have an LED is a vintage Deluxe Electric Mistress, but it's pretty obvious if that one is on.

coltonius, LPSupreme11 and T Dizz like this.
  5. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I have a MXR CSP Phase 90 - with no LED.

No LED is a sometimes PITA.
    But an overly bright LED is even more annoying.

6. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

With vintage fuzz it's easy enough to hear but a 1980 Dynacomp I've been using for years can be perplexing.

analogmike and LPSupreme11 like this.
  7. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

I don’t have a problem with it on fuzz pedals since they’re pretty obvious. My OD doesn’t have one and it’s a complete bummer.

LPSupreme11 likes this.
  8. LPSupreme11

LPSupreme11 Member

I wonder if its more common to not remember the wah is on since it doesn't change the level of anything.

9. LPSupreme11

LPSupreme11 Member

Why is it more annoying for OD instead of Fuzz?

10. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

For me it's easy to to click on just by carrying it around or having it at the bottom of my pedal and cable bag. any given time I bring it out, it could be on or off,,but that's what sound check is for:aok

LPSupreme11 likes this.
  11. Breaker of Strings

Breaker of Strings Member

Some newer pedals w LEDs are so bright, I can't see the labels on the knobs. I put tape over them to knock down the intensity. But no led? Yeah, I hate that but it's usually only found on very old units... like my OG Ross distortion and orig phase 90 (1979ish)

LPSupreme11 likes this.
  12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I can’t answer for him, but for myself a fuzz is much easier to hear when on. If you use an OD with lower gain settings it can be a fine line at gig volumes to be sure if it is on or off. I mean, I should know, but am not SURE. It’s hard to explain. My amp has two channels, and the foot pedal has no LED and sometimes I’m not sure if I’m on OD channel or not and don’t want to hit it while playing because it I am in OD I don’t want it to clean up just now, it really doesn’t matter much honestly but it is uncomfortable not being sure.

Sounds nutty when I write it out though. I added an LED and battery circuit in my pedal to be sure.

My wah has an LED. The one I’m using now. I don’t mind ones that don’t, but I have learned to always check it if my sound is getting trebly or brassy.

13. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

Exactly what @StompBoxBlues said. I set my main OD pretty light so it’s a bit more difficult to tell if it’s on. I play pedal steel and guitar through the same rig so I’m switching it on and off several times during a gig.

StompBoxBlues and LPSupreme11 like this.
  14. monty

monty Member

My old Rat doesnt have a LED, never a prob live. I always knew if it was on or off.

Windup 43 likes this.
  15. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

It would be annoying to me to not have an LED. If you’re OK soldering I think it’s relatively simple to change the footswitch to a 3PDT and add an LED circuit.

16. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

The wah issue is a true story. I've played full songs and it sounds ok, because whatever I'm doing isn't really effected, kinda enhances the right frequencies, so you don't notice. Then you go to the next song and it's like "why do I sound so bad?" Sometimes it happens on the HX FX when I first boot up and don't rock the expression pedal through the range. I think it needs to 'calibrate'. I have a VFE Standout with a blue LED and it has a pot inside to turn down the brightness. Great idea. Those blue LEDs on the Carbon Copy and DOD pedals burn out your eyes. I appreciate the brightness and visibility at wide angles, but dang!

17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I don't know about a Fuzz or OD, but I want a multi-color LED to tell me how high I have the Vol knob turned on my guitar (no numbers on the knob).
    I just hate it when I roll up the volume and find out how well my Fuzz cleaned-up when rolled back!!!

j/k
    ;)

18. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Gimme the damn LED! But not the bright blue or white ones, pretty please. I have a visual defect which makes blue and violet white LEDs painful to look at. Sure, I can cover 'em up but why not just stick with good old red, green or amber?

19. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Only issue I see is the onus of having to consciously remember to turn the fuzz off if you're using it at the end of a song...You don't likely don't want to start a ballad with your fuzz on.

20. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Member

Pedals without LED’s are like blank fretboards, they just f*uck with my head. I’ve used them, but it’s just unnecessary when I’m trying to get my gig on. Worst is my amp footswitch. 3 channels plus fx loop/boost, and no LED’s. Throw in a blank fretboard, maybe a few beers, and it’s instant chaos in my head. Ah, gigs.

At home it doesn’t bother me. I have a 70’s MXR Distortion + with no LED. Love it.