Pedal without indicator LED? Is it annoying?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LPSupreme11, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Oh yeah? I wrote a romantic ballad which begins with the most over the top, crazy howling fuzz. :)

Then again, I also set myself a challenge to write a love song - a different one - with the word "arse" in it.

IMO, both of 'em worked out well.

Moe45673 likes this.
  2. sah5150

sah5150 Gold Supporting Member

VFE pedals have (had?) a board mounted mini-pot insides that you can use to adjust the brightness of the LED, which I thought was a nice solution... One person's too bright is another's too dim...

Steve

Johnny Moondog likes this.
  3. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I can live with bright LED’s but no LED is a problem.

I can’t count the number of times I tried playing and wondered why my guitar sounded so weird, then realized that the wah was on. Accidentally starting that tender ballad with the Rat set to kill is more rare, but I could see that being annoying.

4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Non starter. I have to know at all times what’s on and what’s not.

Moe45673 likes this.
  5. Echomachine

Echomachine Supporting Member

A fuzz with LED is more annoying

Windup 43, Snufkinoob and LPSupreme11 like this.
  6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Great idea. Would be even better if it were a small, thin, low sitting knob right next to the LED so one could adjust it on the fly, but that wouldn’t easily get turned by accident. Would love to see more pedal makers do that.

In another thread I mention that one could identify the current limit resistor for the LED and replace it with a higher value to dim the LED some, but this is a much better option so when in a bright environment like outdoor summertime shows one could up the brightness, and indoor gigs lower it.

7. p.j.

p.j. Member

I think exceedingly bright, flashing led's are more annoying than no led's. (I'm looking at you Count to Five!) YMMV.

8. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Wah pedals have given problems for too long before some manufacturers finally put an led in. I had to point the problem of a wah on to countless guitars players with pedal boards, trying figure out why their sound was bad.

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think a fuzz, especially if you are picky enough to get such a boutique fuzz will be fine.
    I got used to it with big box rats.

The only time I had an issue was with a vintage phase 45. It was so subtle that I though it was on when it wasn’t sometimes.

Snufkinoob likes this.
  10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Good grief. I did a decade and a half without pedal LEDs. I can remember my first one - an Ibanez CS-9 Chorus - and I still have it.

Bob

Snufkinoob likes this.
  11. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Put the pedal into a bypass looper setup which does have an LED. Problem solved

12. gigs

gigs Member

My wah has an LED on the side... the side that I can't see easily during a gig. Last gig I played the first two songs with the wah (and LED) on... Duh.

13. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Fair enough, but then again, people used to live in caves if you go back far enough. :)

I played for 6 or so years before LEDs became a thing. First one was on a Boss DM-2, which my then GF bought me for Christmas. Prior to that, though, I modded an A/B box and put LEDs in it, then I made one for a friend, seeing as it was ridiculously easy.

14. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

Aside from the immediately obvious, if it's buffered bypass and not powered you've lost a useful troubleshooting facility in finding out why you've no signal.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The funny thing is, and I’ve done it too, just rocking the pedal will tell you instantly if it is on, and doing it slowly means you wouldn’t have to go full range or have it be jarringly out of place in a song.

16. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

maybe not being able to tell if it's on or off is a solid indication that you could remove that pedal from the lineup? ;)

Snufkinoob likes this.
  17. Bagels&Vox

Bagels&Vox Member

I have a Boss noise gate NF-1 from 1979 and while the older boss pedals have a LED indicator they only come on when you push the pedal on, they don't stay on and with something as subtle as a noise gate it can be a pain to tell when it's actually on or not sometimes

18. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

If you are buying from the builder directly, just ask if installing an LED is possible. At most it would need the footswitch swapped out, a hole drilled, and the LED.

19. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

It can be annoying in weird rooms or on stages where you can’t clearly hear yourself.

20. gigs

gigs Member

Remove a wah pedal from the lineup because you forgot to check and left it in one position? Doesn't make much sense.