Pedalboard advice: True bypass loop strip?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dinrodef, Mar 24, 2006.

1. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I want to build a new pedalboard with a true bypass loop switch system. It would be nice to have about 12 loops.

Does anybody have experience with the pedalracks true bypass strip?

I was thinking of buying two pedalracks 6 looper strips and connecting them together for 12 loops....then running george L 225 cables with the gold connectors to connect the pedals to the loops... and mounting 2 pedal power supplies underneath the board to power everything up

Anybody with a similar type of board that can give me advice?

Thanks for any input or info

2. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Make sure you use a really good buffer in there somewhere if you want that many loops.

The Axess Electronics BS2 Buffer/Splitter would be a prime choice for that.

3. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Wow - Thanks for the advice

You're site is awesome...if I get a loop system I should buy it from you

Is running a large True bypass loop system similar to just connecting a lot of true bypass pedals together?

If my pedals are already true bypass... would it be better to just skip the loop system and connect them directly together and use an axess buffer?

Or would I get best results combining the loopers with an axess buffer?

Thanks for any advice! Money is not really an issue.. I want to do this the right way

4. msp

msp Member

you could separate you pedals into groups

for example: wahs phaser eq effects-compression od (maybe eq here too)- modulation effects vibrato chorus flanger - delay effects reverb delay

then you could cut out tons of connections that your signal will have to go through even though you aren't using them

my personal opinion is that truebypassing everything isn't really a solution at all...it could actually make the problem worse as you are doubling the amount of connections your signal will have to pass through (maybee shoot for a 4 loop box with a master loop switch and a buffer or two)

but using a couple high quality buffers and truebypassing the rest will get you closer to your origonal "guitar into amp" sound

5. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

excellent idea about splitting the pedals into groups...

I never thought about it that way

I could probably get away with using only 3 loops/ 1 tuner out and a buffer..

EXCELLENT! That'll work for certain.. and I can order the bypass box from Loop-master

Thanks guys

6. entraind

entraind Member

I have a 6 loop bypass box from loop-master and my tone is much cleaner and my ability to change between things smoothly onstage has gone through the roof. It's an awesome product. And Brian is a top notch guy who provides excellent cutomer service.

Also putting them in groups has worked well for me. I have Q-tron/sniperEQ in 1, wah/seek wah in 2, octron/klon in 3, COT/eternity in 4, phase/vibe in 5 and ML/DL4 in 6.

For me the true bypass is a must have because it allows you do get into all sorts of combinations and get out fast or pre-select certain sounds and pop into them for a chorus or something and then get back out quickly. You can also switch from say phase to OD by stepping on two buittons at a time

7. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

sweet

do you use a buffer too?

8. Den

Den Member

+1 Brian's the man.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I have a 4 loop bypass Switchbox from our own Tom Knesel, built into my board. I find that two or three loops is plenty for various pedal chains, actually, but it's nice to have more just in case.

The BS-2 is a good idea. I use one on my board as well.

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I've got a 5 loop system from loooper.com which also has a tuner out and a master bypass switch.

Killer unit and David Boggs was very very very helpful and patient with me.

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I had a great experience with WOBO Guitar Electronics in Poland. http://www.woboge.com you have to hit reload to load each page... oh well.

Anyway, top-notch build, I emailed them explaining a very complex custom order and they walked me through the design process and built me a 12 switch, 12 LED switching system with many odd ins, outs and routing schemes. $300. Nifty and looks great. I'm going to have them build the switching system for the front end of my rig as well. Check out the Prog Looper as well... very cool, but it my situation was pretty ridiculous in terms of what was necessary.

Email them with what you're looking for and they can cook you up an estimate and info. They do relays and buffers as well that you can incorporate into your switcher.

12. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

I just got one of the Pedalracks 6 loop strips and I could immediately hear a very noticeable improvement in my signal and tone. I'm putting a Radial PB1 power booster and buffer in front and doing away with the GCX/GC scheme. I highly recommend checking out a Pedalracks/PB1 type setup.

http://www.pedalboards.com/true%20bypass.htm

13. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

Can all of you please post pics of what your boards look like whith the LOopers?

14. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Just a thought:

If you're looking for the cleanest, most ""transparent" (I hate that word) buffer then check out the Barber Launch Pad!

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Wow...I forgot you were here. I am LOVING my loop-master looper. Great build quality, great ideas (the master off, the tuner out, the size and shape) and I have been singing your praises all the time here (just today even) about the need for a quality looper...if for nothing else, for peace of mind about which pedals are maybe sucking tone.

But past that, it lets you use the bottom row (I LOVE the small, long looper strip idea) to turn on any pedal loop.

The only thing I am wanting now is...I would love to see a model that lets you separate input signal loops from amp-effects-loops. So one pedal could control input pedals (Fuzz, wah, OD, Dist, etc.) and effects loop pedals (Delay, reverb, maybe vibe) from the same pedal. Or do you make them too?

16. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

can you guys please post pics of your boards:)

17. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

I would like to see some too:AOK

18. bigredhaus

bigredhaus Member

Here's mine. I'm using two 4 loop boxes by pedal-racks.

[​IMG]

19. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Went and saw Scofield and he was using a PedalRacks True Bypass Strip On his big pedalboards.
    you can see pics at pedalRacks.com

That was enough for me.

I had my 4 loop strip within two weeks.

It's never failed

20. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Not true. If you don't have a loop on, your signal isn't going through it.
    It's true you double your cable length runing from the looper to each pedal and back. But if your only using 2-3 pedals at a time then it's really not as bad as it seems. Although I agree a good buffer would help.