Pedalboard Building Guides?

Hi dudes,

I'm preparing to build myself a high-quality pedalboard and find myself pretty discouraged by how few comprehensive guides there are toward putting together a high-quality flat pedalboard, in terms of how to prepare, set up, measure stuff, organize power/patch cables, etc. By "building" a pedalboard I mean assembling all the components, not physically building the board itself out of wood or whatever.

Vertex has some good blog posts on this but unfortunately the images are dead. It seems like similar information ought to be available elsewhere, but I haven't had much luck. Anybody have similar/better resources along these lines? General tips and advice?

My goal is to have a very clean, organized board along the lines of what professional companies like Goodwood Audio offer. I'm prepared to do all the soldering/assembly stuff required for it.

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
My advice would be to try and plan it all out to scale on photoshop or a similar application before proceeding. If you're doing a smaller board with 5-6 pedals you can pretty much wing it, but for a larger one with an advanced switching system I'd recommend making a blueprint. For cabling; I first lay out all my pedals. Then I just line up the cable between two pedals and cut it, leaving about an inch of extra cable. Use cable tie mounts and zip ties to secure the cables to the board if you want (be warned, it is a pain in the ass to switch pedals if you do this). It's really not all that difficult, just requires a lot of patience and planning.

CarlGuitarist

There is a book called "System construction manual for electric guitarists and bassists" by the guy who runs Free The Tone. Great read.

Frank67

For what it's worth, I documented my recent high-end pedalboard build. Sound samples will be forthcoming after the holidays and after I finally have non embarrassing video equipment.

Enjoy the build!

Cheers,
Frank

FbIsNotE

You need to check this thread and the Pedalboard planning tool in it. Just to start.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...rd-planning-tool-pedalplayground-com.1803507/

I just went through this process and IMHO the only way to success is thorough planning unless you don't mind having a lot of unused space. Powering the gear takes as much or maybe more planning than wiring I/O.

The very first step is to decide if you are going to have a loop switcher on the board or not and if the answer is "Yes" then buy that first since it will take up a lot of space and dictate where things go.

I'd also recommend firmly establishing and being happy with the order of pedals in the signal chain so you don't have to change it later. This is an advantage of some switchers = some let you change pedal order.

Last edited: