• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Pedalboard Buzzing/Clicking Sounds? Help!

crambone

Today I busted out my "big board" as well as my Vox amp. I don't use either in my current band so they hadn't been played in a while. (I used them in church but am on a bit of a hiatus).

Please listen to the youtube clip below for the buzzing/clicking. It's my pedalboard with just my SP Compressor engaged, nothing else. When I mute my board both sounds go away (which I do in the video). When I plug my guitar directly into my amp I don't experience either noise. Obviously if I engage a drive or boost the noises get louder. Same goes for delay, if I use one it makes the clicking repeat.

Help!

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
1) pedal chain?
2) what are you using to power it?
3) board and amp plugged into same outlet?
4) anything else plugged in to the same outlet?

fenderjapan

WCW World Heavyweight Champion
Gold Supporting Member
try disconnecting the units 1 by 1 starting with the guitar, then the first pedal in line, then the next, etc. etc. It will help you isolate which pedal or cord is generating the sound

crambone

1. VPJr - SP Comp - TU-2 - [Loop Starts] LGW - Soul Food - Micro POG - EP Booster - DD-5 - MXR CC [Loop Ends] - RV-5
There is a pic of my board in my sig.

2. PP2+ powers the whole board. The SP Comp, TU-2 and Loop-Master strip all share one outlet (using a daisy chain) while every other pedal has its own output.

3. Board & Amp plugged into same outlet.

4. Nothing else plugged into the outlet. This was in my daughter's nursery and the overhead fan was on but I tried turning it on & off and that didn't change anything.

Rusty Dutch

Gold Supporting Member
The clicking would indicate a power supply issue, I would guess the switching supply has failed.

Rusty Dutch

Gold Supporting Member
What is the "switching supply"? I've never heard of that.

So my PP2+ may have gone bad?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

Basically means a p/s that takes AC from your wall and converts to DC for your pedals.

That noise on your video, to me, sounds like a power supply failing, but then I missed you are using a PP2+. I doubt the supply is truly the culprit, as they are pretty rugged. Likely, the problem is what is plugged in to it.

You said you have daisy chained multiple effects - start unplugging pedals until you find the culprit.

Could just be an issue with a power hungry digital pedal wanting to see 400ma, and only getting 100ma from the PP2.

tbader

All cables look tight and snug in each socket.
I'm not really referring to the jack connection, but perhaps there's a poor solder joint in one of the ends (or a solderless joint, if you have Lava or George L types). Isolating each pedal with two known good cables and power outlets will at least tell you whether it's a bad cable, bad supply, or bad pedal.

Kurt L

Something else I would check just for grins... with any type of noise at regular intervals like your click, find any pedal with a "rate" knob (chorus, trem, delay, etc.) and turn it to see if the rate of your click changes.

If so, you know the culprit even if you don't know the problem inside it...

crambone

UPDATE:

I picked up my guitar, fired up the amp and plugged-in my pedalboard last night. And guess what? NO BUZZING OR NOISES AT ALL. My board gave me the best sound it has given me.

Should I still tear this thing apart and start from scratch? Or could this have been a fluke?

Trending Topics