Pedalboard cable..?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Faderjockey, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Faderjockey

Faderjockey Guest

My board is loaded with George L's....I'm not digging it.
    I feel it messing with the tone/color of my sound..Plus I've had it cut out on me a few times during shows..

I've cut and redone the ends..Still it's not working out for me. I can't have it cutting out nor the lack of bottom next to other cables.

SO! I was thinking..I use Mogami in my studios patchbay and for many other things..I have a few cables built with W2524 Mogami sounds pretty good.

I was wondering if anyone here has used W2524 to wire your pedalboards?

I'm thinking I really trust solder connections more then this solderless idea.
    Plus I like soldering things..I can make it as I need..

So what do you guys think as far as tone goes? Thanks

2. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I may get banned from the forum for this but I bought some audio cable from Radio Shack and made my own to fit what I needed. In all the roll was like $10.00 and it's like 50 feet or something like that. I used their connectors too. No real noticable sonic quality issues. Just my .02

Scott:BEER

3. exodus

exodus Member

i want to try the planet waves cable station. same concept as the george L except from what hear, they WORK.

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

well, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone gripe about George L's messing with your tone, and I've used them on my board for years without a serious problem. My long cables, gtr>Pedalboard>Amp, are Mogami. They sound great, and I don't have to worry about stepping on 'em.

5. landru64

landru64 Member

i just took george l's out of my pedalboard and what a relief it is. i had no reliability problems (it actually DOES take some skill to put them together right), but everything i didn't like about my tone (exaggerated upper mids, brittleness) is gone. i was in such denial about this, looking to various things to solve my problem, e.g. buffers, radial's neat drag control, loopers. it's a good, convenient system for anyone who really needs to do it oneself with no technical background, but otherwise tonally i can't get behind it if you want to hear the most musical result.

and gtrwiz.... where have you been? lots of people have complained about george l's messing with your tone... on and off of this board!!

6. vinni

vinni Member

Never had any problems with Georgle L.....

I had it on my pedalboard and in my rack.

I ditched the pedalboard however.....G-system on the floor now....

And my rack is gonna be upgraded. The George L will be replaced with Evidence Audio with Neutriks....

vinni

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Never had a problem with George L's either, and I'm a guy who always has problems with everything (gear that is ;))!

Mine were put together though in a pro shop, I've got some new plugs and cable waiting now in the post office that I'll put together myself. If I can do it, it must be totally idiot-proof..

8. granite

granite Member

I use Bayou Cable's 6 inch right angled cables on my pedal board. No issues at all.

9. JoeP

JoeP Member

Half of my Bradshaw rig is wired with Mogami. When i expanded it, i wired it with George L's. Not a lot of difference to my ears, and never have had any trouble with either. And it's been over the road for thousands of miles a year..

The Planet Waves cable system (like GeorgeL's), is pretty cool, but it colors the sound to me. I just tried a cable to the guitar/amp, and it sounded like it compressed the high end some.

But, it could be i'm getting deaf too..

10. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

He also makes a great speaker cable. I would love to try some of his others. I also like the guy at lava cables. Evidence are great. But man he's exspensive.

11. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I'm actually redoing my pedalboard and I just purchased the George L kit. I was set on ordering some patch cables from Bayou but the George L's looked like a better deal. I guess I'll have to see how the George L's fare, and then determine whether or not I should get the Bayous. I still plan on ordering some longer Bayou cables for guitar-to-pedalboard and pedalboard-to-amp.

12. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

It sounds to me like you might prefer a cable with higher capacitence than GeoLs...th cables do not strip low end, they just let your highs through and you do not like them. Try Mogami or Canare. As for cutting out, my GeoL loaded boards are stable and have withstood fly dates, numerous pedal changes, etc. I put a drop of locktite or Elmers on the threads before tightening down the screws and they are solid. No cutting out, ever, and I've rolled hundreds of feet of patch cords for my boards and instruments over these many years. Sorry your experience was less satisfactory!

13. what?

what? Member

what's locktite and elmers?

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

All I have on my board is PW, I too am planning to use the Cable Station soon.

15. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

locktite is a threading adhesive/glue which has different strengths of adhesion or "LOCK" "Locktite" is also the brand name there are some generics, which will "lock" the threads tight for a no slip seal. They come in different strengths, Green, Blue and Red. Red is as close to permanent as you can get in a small space. It can be unscrewed but without space to put some solvent on the thread you may strip the screw head before it ever loosens.

Elmer's is a brand of Glue products in the US. From the standard childrens glue sticks through some stronger woodworking glues.

16. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

No cable can add anything.

Some take stuff away, filter by cable.

You can always remove or lower a frequency you can't always add or recover what is lost.

I've never had a problem with GL's on my board or running from my board to my amp. I don't care for the feel of them plugged into my guitar.

17. retro

retro Member

Never had a problem with GL's.

But I recently bought a couple of DiMarzio 6" jumpers. Terminated with silver soldered Switchcraft plugs. 19pF/ft. Lifetime warranty. Relatively inexpensive.
    I'm liking them.

18. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor and go get a Planet Waves Pedalboard Kit. I have my board wired with them and it sounds great and I have not had any trouble with them. I'm constantly changing my pedalboard around which leads to having to re-do the cabling and the Planet waves cables make it so much easier and quicky then busting out the soldering iron everytime just to try something.

19. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

The problem with George L's and the Planet Waves cable station is that the connection itself will never have the reliablity of a soldered one. In addition to that, good silver solder actually enhances the sound (no snake oil here as I clearly heard the difference when I swtiched to WBT silver solder from Kester 60/40 more than a year ago) This is why I make pedal board patch cables with George L's - you get the best of both worlds: quality cable and a reliable connection.

Everything depends on what you are after and partially what your budget is. G&H connectors for example are always going to be more durable than Planet Waves because they are metal and Planet Waves are plastic.

I have examined Planet Waves cable by itself, and it's quality IMO is slighty worse than Canare or Mogami, as an example, which are similiar cables. Like Monster, Planet Waves cable production is probably somewhere in Asia...so you are going to get what you pay for. I have read what Planet Waves have to say about themsleves and they are not re-inventing the wheel - they are simply copying George L's and throwing a lot of hype in there with it.

20. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Not sure what you mean by the Planet Waves being plastic...the ones I have are die cast metal. I would Agree with you that a solder connection is a superior one but I'll stick with the Planet Wave myself for the convenience factor. for my application they work and sound great. JMHO...