Pedalboard "chain" cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Medic162, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Medic162

Medic162 Member

OK, I know you're getting bored with all of my pedalboard questions, but like I tol' ya, I'm new at this. So, here goes it: After I get the pedals mounted down on the board, is there a "reason" to go with stuff like "George L's", etc??? What I've run into is that the pedals don't exactly line up with the "precut" stuff from the store, i.e. always 6 or 12 inch lengths. Also, I guess a benefit is going to be right angled plugs versus straight ones??? Anything else I need to know, like - the best place to get this stuff. As always, thanks for entertaining my endless questions. Blue Skies... Brian

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

Yeah, the decision is pretty simple.

If you know how to, and are comfortable with soldering, you make your own cables, using your preferred ends (I like the Neutrik right angle ends, though they're pretty chunky. Many prefer Switchcraft right angles for this reason) and your preferred cable (I'm using Mogami. Honestly, I don't hear a real difference between the stuff I have and George L's). You do this because well made soldered cables are less likely to crap out on you.

If you are not comfortable with soldering, or don't have the patience to make your own cables, you go with George L's or Planet Waves for the custom lengths you want. You buy a bunch of wire and a bunch of ends and make them yourself. It's pretty painless. You want to use right angles whereever possible, to conserve pedalboard space.

I think most of us go one of those 2 routes, rather than store-bought, as they're both cheaper than paying retail for pre-made pedalboard cables. Good ends will cost between $1.50 and $4.50 a pop depending on what you want and the quantity you buy.

I don't use George L's, so I can't recommend a place to shop them, though they can recommend some to you, if you e-mail them. I use redco.com for my stuff. When I ordered (some good deal of time ago) it was the best price I could find. May or may not still be the case.

3. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

I usually end up getting the pedalboard combo meal from MF. Ten RA George L plugs and ten feet of cable for fifty bucks. But a lot of places sell the plugs...

4. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Medic....Musicians Friend sells the George L. cable set in a nice length and several ends..for a set up such as your doing. No worrys, just cut to length and set the screw...no soldering nessasary.

5. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I changed all my George L's for Planet waves.

Freaking L's kept loosening up on me.

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

Good solder connections don't come loose. I've had a couple George Ls failures, and I am just not interested in the stress of having a pedalboard cable go out on me during a gig. How do you like the Planet Waves, in terms of sound and stability?

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Soldered cables can break just like any other cable. I've had many professionally soldered connections crap out like anything else. I've had cables custom made by my studio tech crap out, and the guy makes great cables. Sh$t happens.

I've had no problems with George Ls, but if you do, it can be simply and immediately repaired without tools. On the other hand, if a soldered cable breaks, you have to get the soldering iron out at the gig.

Of course, the smartest thing to do is even simpler: carry a spare or two no matter what type you use.

8. Madsman

Madsman Member

Yeah. I've just never had a soldered connection break when you don't ever move the cable. Another story altogether when it's a guitar cable, or whatever. I just trust the connection more than the little screw.

9. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I had a comparison with George L and Planet Waves, both 10ft. guitar cables.

The George L's were very articulate, bright and clear sounding.
    Planet Waves had a bit more mids and bass EQ. And seemed richer in comparison.

Both were excellent and I'd be hard pressed to pic one over the other.

10. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Bingo. but the planet waves are also solderless, and are much more solid. Zero failures.

11. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

try lavacable.com they will do any length you need. tell them Chris from Lube told you to check them out!!!
    Thanks

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

13. msp

msp Member

george l's are solderless too, and when made correctly are preatty damn solid

thats funny, cuz i have george l's on my pedal board and they sound better (louder overal volume/higher end clarity, bass is about the same) than the mogami/monster set-up i had

i still bring my soldering settup in a small bag in my gear, .......out of habit i guess (or fear)

14. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Seriously consider the new Planet Waves Solderless Cable Station pedal board kit. If you are new to pedals this is unbelieveably easy. You can get info here:

http://www.planetwaves.com/Pcablesdetails.aspx?ID=6

They are a little big and take some space but all you have to do is cut, insert and screw down and you have a high quality pedal cable. I have been 110% satisfied so far and I was leary about the simplicity of it equating to low quality.

Give it a shot.

15. Lamont

Lamont Member

Ive been through the cable ting for a long time and have come up w/ this opinion.I USED to use George Ls only on my interconnects on my pedalboard, but hated them on my guitar and to my amps .They let a crap load of high end in (imo) so what id do ( at the time) was to use just basic guitar cords . I hated most monster cables in that they let in too much low end and had no vibe ..If just got some analysis plus cables for my interconnect ,and i dig them alotThey are really not that much more then the junk thats out there,However !! Im not sold yet on the cables to the guitar and to the amps . But they are listening and cont. to re-evaluate and redesign to the guitar players needs IVE REALLY heard the differance.If you have a great guitar and a great amp but neglect the cables.Your an idiot!!Im ordering some of Pete Cornishs guitar cords , and when i get them ,ill be happy to give you the details . I bet they will be great, but a bit pricy.I can afford the price of a good cable,,and in most cases they have lifetime warranties.If i have a 2k plus in a D-13 or vintage amp , and a vintage or exspesive guitar , why the hell would i put a crappy interconnect or guitar cable to screw up the whole thing ???There is (imo) a huge reason to ck out some quality cords.

16. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

If you don't know how to solder, the time it takes to learn is well worth the effort. I personally have never used George L's, and never will. While many people seem to have great luck with them, and rave about the sound, too many others have had problems for me to justify the investment.

As to all of the cable options - cable is like an OD pedal. One player's Holy Grail is the next player's piece of crap. The bottom line is that there are tons of companies manufacturing quality cable and ends, and learning to make your own cables allows you to play the field without breaking the bank completely open.

I am constantly changing my board around, and it gets moved from place to place a lot (I do a lot or one and two-niters), and I frequently give into GAS and need to reconfigure my board. This is a recipe for frequent cable failure. For myself, I use Switchcraft right-angle plugs and Canare GS-6 cable - sounds great with my equipment, and I have NEVER had a failure.

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

So, I didn't really explain much, but both of these packages are great deals...

Kit 10- 10 George L's RA Plugs and 5' of Gepco HP Cable- .155 $41.95

Kit 18- 18 George L's RA Plugs and 10' of Gepco HP Cable- .155 $72.95

For $45, Keeley sells 5 feet of George L's cable and 10 connectors as well.

I am probably going to get both and a few extra plugs... Gepco is apparently very high quality pro-audio cable, it's more expensive than George L cable on the website... seems fine. From what I've read, I'm fairly certain that a huge benefit to success with making your own cables is spending $30 on the Planet Waves cable cutter/tester. It uses a razor blade like you're supposed to, so it doesn't squash/crimp your cuts like scissors, yet is far easier than just using a razor blade with just your hands. Also, you can test your cables as you're making them (or while preparing for a gig, you can fix any connection problems easily). Seems like a great tool for not much bread. I just got their string winder/strobe tuner/string cutter. That's a cool tool to have. I just got my second pedalboard (Furman SPB-8- apparently gets mixed reviews, I don't need the patch bay, I'm just glad I don't have to buy another PP2 and a power conditioner separately now! On to the last few pedals and cable!)...

Good luck with everything.

18. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

+1 for the Planet waves pedalboard Kit. Just wired my pedalboard with it a few weeks ago and it worked out great. Easy to do and sounds great...

19. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

I left my georgels in favor of lava cable. for my pedals, I got a bunch of the real short ones with right angle plugs. I also got a 10 footer for my guitar to amp, and two 3 footers to connect my TTE to my fx loop. I'm very happy with them all around- great quality and sound.

20. exodus

exodus Member

I :FMhate:FM george L right end cables. IMO, the right end plugs are just a poorly executed design that is inherently susceptible to failure. When you think about it, its not actually a "right end" jack--its just the tip of the cable being bent 90 degrees, and is under constant tension in being held in such a position. I hear the straight plugs are better, but like others, I tend to move pedals around and within no time the right enders crap out.

I like what I see from planet waves... really want to pick up the cable station set.