Pedalboard companies?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sosomething, Jan 26, 2015.

1. sosomething

sosomething Member

So after 20 years of playing and gigging, I am just now putting together my first legitimate pedalboard. I used a lot of crappy digital multi fx in the early days, and was basically a no-pedal, tuner-only guy for the last 10 years... But those days are over.

Things ballooned quickly over the last few weeks. I've settled on a board of around 11-12 pedals.. Mostly analog, but there is a Strymon involved so I'll need a power supply with enough power and outputs to handle the load, which means Pedal Power Mondo.

My question to you is - what do I mount them on??

I may build something myself, but assuming I don't, what way do I go? I need to fit 12 pedals and a power supply. I don't need fancy wood (this will be gigged in some rough bars), but I do love the routing options you see from Trailer Trash, etc. Do I just roll with a Pedal Train?

If you were putting together what would be your only board around this size, what would you use?

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I'm a "take only what you need to survive" kinda guy. I also have to pack for an NYC lifestyle. So the biggest board I use is the Pedaltrain Jr. Depending on the size of the pedals, you could get on with either a PT3 or Pro.

3. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

check out westcoastpedalboards.com. they can build you a custom board or you can use one of their standards and they can ship with the VD Mondo mounted and wired. the standard line comes in plain tolex or tweed if you don't want wood and you can add jacks and power as you desire.

westcoastpedalbrd likes this.
  4. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

If have to say Pedaltrain Pro.

I don't have anything against small business (I own a non-music-related one), but I've been screwed over one too many times in the pedalboard biz scene in particular to say to just go with a Pedaltrain. You will not regret it. You may regret going for anyone with custom options that you don't really need. You may love it. I just know with pedaltrain there's almost no chance of disappointment as opposed to the other option! haha.

5. adamclark182

adamclark182 Member

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

There are so many pedalboard options out there it's mind boggling.

If you want future ready power look at GigRig modular system, once once you buy into that 5000ma supply, re routing ect is as easy as buying a new add-on module.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I like BlackBird pedalboards.
    Plenty of size options and the best value I have seen that includes road worthy cases.
    OSP Case Co. also has a nice product.

8. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

I like many others here use pedaltrain boards. when I decided I needed a pedalboard I asked the local store if they had any all they had was a pt-2 plus hardcase used. Never had to think about it ever again. the board is the one thing I couldn't care less about being high end or boutique

9. rck

rck Supporting Member

Pedaltrain. The board is light, durable, retains value if you go another way; it's easy to route all sorts of cables (power, patch, trs, midi) both in between the slats and underneath board. The PT-2 and PT-3 offer enough room to mount a big power supply; choice of (durable but hefty) hard case or (light) soft case; can be modded.

I have a PT-3 and transporting the board in the hard case is too heavy for my tastes but I know the board is well protected.

If you build your own board AND want a hard case, I would suggest pricing the cases beforehand to see if it is really cost effective for your needs.

If you prefer a soft case, there are several options out there and building your own board could be a nice way to go.

10. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I'd look at Temple, Pedaltrain, or LYT pedalboards.

11. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Pedal train 2 can fit 12 pedals generally. Mondo will mount underneath it.

Though I think pedaltrain just changed all their boards, and I don't know if this is updated, check this out.
    http://pedalboardplanner.com/

12. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Trailer Trash pedalboards are nice too, and I'd add them to this list.

13. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Temple is my favorite, outstanding product and design!

14. sosomething

sosomething Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I appreciate it.

Pedaltrain is obviously a prominent option. I won't be able to fit everything on the PT-2 (or whatever the equivalent size will be now with the new product lines), so I'd have to either A.) move up to the 32" size, or B.) put all the stomp boxes on the 24", and try to find a platform or mounting option for my wah and exp pedals.

All the custom stuff from Trailer Trash, Blackbird, Pumaboards, etc. is gorgeous and functional, but again, getting out to a 30+" board with power and signal routing climbs well above $300 very quickly. I accept that one gets what one pays for. I'm just not sure I'm willing to drop that much on a pedalboard right now.

The Temple stuff is very intriguing. I like the higher flexibility of placement options vs. Pedaltrain, but it seems like every little piece you add - including those needed just to make the board functional - is an added cost, equaling some custom builders by the time you're done.

Again, I'm not knocking any of these suggestions. Still not sure which way I'll go.

15. G22

G22 Member

16. sosomething

sosomething Member

You guys rock! Thanks again!

17. G22

G22 Member

So what did you choose?

18. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I have a T17 (PT Jr size with built-in jacks & IEC connection) and honestly I'd just use their new design like a PT board. Throw some dual lock on top, maybe use one plate & screw to mount the power supply underneath, and forget about the jacks and IEC connector. The boards themselves are cheaper than a comparable PT and much lighter.