Pedalboard & Delay Crisis

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcoggins7, Jan 3, 2008.

Which route should I take?

1. Solution 1

2. Solution 2

3. Solution 3

4. other solution (please post details)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Here's my dilemma: I have an SKB Stagefive Pedalboard. I have no complaints...except that the 12V jacks only emit 100mA of current, and my first one had one of the 12V jacks go bad. This is a problem for me, as I would like to buy a TC Nova Delay. I have three possible solutions to this problem:
    1) Get an Eventide Timefactor instead of a Nova (it can be powered by one of the 1.3A 9V jacks). Positives: very good sounding, upgradeable, midi-switchable delay and no power issues. Negatives: the Eventide costs significantly more than the Nova, takes up significantly more space than the Nova, and doesn't sound exactly like the Nova (I'm a TC delay fan-favorite delay sound is Petrucci's). Btw, I've tried the Nova, but not the Eventide.
    2) Keep the SKB, and still get a Nova but power it separately from the board (possibly from a power strip that I could use to power the board and my amp as well). Positives: least expensive, still get the Nova sound and added real estate. Negatives: still not sure I can trust the pedalboard's power supply, and have to purchase and worry about figuring out if I can attach a power strip to the board or board lid.
    3) Return the SKB to GC, spend a little more cash, and get the Furman SPB-8C. Negatives: costs a little bit more, and no cable routing. Positives: more trustworthy (IMO) and versatile power supply, and wheels.

What do you guys think?

2. guitarguy3612

guitarguy3612 Senior Member

Hey Jeff,

It's Chris from school... are you opposed to getting a pedaltrain?

3. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Only because of the price issue-the board, hard case (not interested in a soft one at all), and Pedal Power 2+ would cost a lot more than what I'm willing to spend. If I got one I would want it to be the Pro size as well...I'm pretty sure the 2 would just not cut it size wise, as I already have 2 wah sized pedals, 6 normal size pedals, and my amp footswitch, and should be adding on a couple more pedals in the next year. Overall, for the money, they just can't seem to beat the Furman for me. Thanks for the suggestion though man. Did you get anything cool for Xmas?

4. Tore TC

Tore TC Member

You could also try powering the Nova from one of the 9v outlets. The Nova pedals will run on 9v as well - the only difference is that the headroom of the pedal isn't as big as with a 12v supply. So unless you're running a really hot line level signal into the pedal you should be fine.

5. teleboy

teleboy Member

Hey Tore TC, I'm sure you have got this question a lot, but, what if you used the ACA outputs on the PP2, or perhaps the L6 outs? Obviously, I think a lot of people would like to power it with the PP2, but, I certainly wouldn't want to void any warranty, or jeopardize the sound quality. Thanks

6. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

i voted option 3. you sound like you're a gigging musician and you stated that option 3 would be the most reliable option. take the safe route, return the board and get the right tool for the job.:YinYang

7. hbentley

hbentley Member

are you sure that jack will power the timefactor? the power supply that it comes with is 1800ma reverse polarity.

8. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

get the pedal you want and a 1 spot

9. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Really? Will it run on only 100mA? As for the line level thing, I don't have to worry about that, unless of course my amp's FX loop is line level...but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Not anymore now. It does run on 1200mA, which is fine. I'm not sure about the reverse polarity part though. That would probably be the nail in the coffin for me.

10. guitarguy3612

guitarguy3612 Senior Member

I completely understand... I've got the PT-2 but I don't keep my wah on in as I like to have it on the floor when I'm using it (that frees up some more room).

For x-mas... just money which I was trying to decide what to spend on... a Robotalk or an Emma Discombobulator. The Robotalk was discontinued and has some issues that i've read about so I think I'm gonna be ordering the Discombobulator soon.

11. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Nice man. I got a Blue Collar. Thing sounds great stacked or alone.

12. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member