pedalboard design advice needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by plextasy, May 9, 2016.

1. plextasy

plextasy Member

In planning board length, I'm stuck deciding how much room to leave for wah/vol/exp pedals. With the ES-8 is it possible to have one pedal act as a volume and an expression pedal for certain effects per preset?
    I know the vol/exp with one pedal thing has been addressed in other threads but not specifically in relation to the ES-8 that I'm aware of.

I've never used a dual purpose vol/exp pedal so not sure if it's something that can easily be done but the ES-8 seems pretty capable. Maybe the Dunlop Volume (X) or something by Mission?

Thanks!

2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

You might be able to set the Dunlop Volume X up in one of your loops and turn the loop on or off for volume. Then connect the exp output on it to the CTL port of the ES-8 and set that up per preset as to whether there is exp control of an effect. I'm not sure if the Dunlop will work that way tho - do the vol and esp functions work at the same time?

plextasy and ZachSelindh like this.
  3. Hawx

Hawx Member

4. ZachSelindh

ZachSelindh Member

As long as the Expression/Volume elements are separate, this is exactly what you should do. One more reason why the ES-8 is one of the best switchers out there.

plextasy likes this.
  5. plextasy

plextasy Member

Thanks for this! I'll dig into the dunlop and find out.

6. plextasy

plextasy Member

That looks great! The hangup for me is that I'm going to have a hinged riser and I'm trying to decide how long it will be. I'd like to have a longer riser (about the length of the ES-8 or a bit longer) and leave room for two treadle pedals if possible. The riser will be closer to the front of the board and not the typical back row thing. I want to have easy access to certain effects like my looper and tap tempo. There will be enough clearance under it for "set and forget" pedals too. Not sure why more boards aren't designed this way. Those UK folk know what they're doing:)

7. Hawx

Hawx Member

I'm guessing this is what your going for but with more space for the extra exp/vol pedal:

8. plextasy

plextasy Member

Exactly

Hawx likes this.
  9. Hawx

Hawx Member

Well good luck with your build, that'll look awesome.

plextasy likes this.
  10. Metalflange

Metalflange Supporting Member

I use I use the amt pedals for wah and expression they feel great work great and are very small!

plextasy likes this.
  11. plextasy

plextasy Member

Hawx, is that a Brady case and board?

Metalflange, thanks - I'll check out the amt stuff