Pedalboard Essentials

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by charley, Sep 26, 2005.

1. charley

charley Supporting Member

I'm trying to rebuild my pedalboard. I have a Pedaltrain 2, a Pedal Power 2, a Fulldrive 2, and a Moogerfooger Murf 105.
    I still need a tuner and other pedals. Any reccomendations in order to cover all bases?
    I am intrested in possibly a Robotalk, Moogerfooger Lowpass Filter.
    I still am searching for a great delay and other exotic sounds to fill the arsenal. Any suggestions?

Or is it worth it to just take the plunge and get a TC Electronics G Force or G System?

Just looking for some ideas.

2. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I'm sure I won't be the only one recommending a Peterson StroboStomp tuner.

Pedals, G-Force or G-System is another question entirely. I think the G-System is a lot more flexible than the G-Force. Both units offer pretty much the same effects, but the G-System has four loops to insert your pedals of choice, and you have the option of using it as a self-contained floor unit or rack mounting the effects unit and using the floor unit as a controller.

3. granite

granite Member

+1 here. Best tuner out there. I have one and it's not going anywhere.

I'm a self described minimalist when it comes to pedals. I believe you start with a great clean amp channel and add pedals to it to enhance what you already have in the amp. That said, I love to experiment with pedals and amps, but most do not stay with me very long.

To this end, I'm hoping that a Kingsley Deluxe 30 will be the last amp for me. I will have one on order in the next day or two. I would consider the following pedals types essential. Brands will vary based on the sound your seeking.

1 or 2 OD pedals: ex...Timmy
    EQ pedal: ex...BJF Sea Blue EQ
    Clean Boost: ex...Keeley Katana (just sold mine but another one is in my future)
    Compressor: ex...Keeley Comp or Analogman Bicomp
    Tuner: ex...StroboStomp

That's it for me. I just want to be able to tweek what the amp builder has already perfected. Others might include vibes, trems, delays, fuzz, or other OD pedals. I don't use them or need them.

4. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

You might enjoy a Chicago Iron Parachute Wah, it can cover a surprising amount of ground in the filter/mod/synth department. Depending on what delay or modulation effects you add, I'd recommend getting a "third hand", to allow real-time control of one of the parameters. I currently have mine on the time control of my delay, to give me some pitch-shifting/harmonizing capabilities.

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Pedal Board Essentials???....

Tuner:
    No question... Strobostomp
    Compressor:
    Maxon CP101 or Keeley Compressor
    OD:
    Lovepedal Eternity (kinda distortion too)
    Distortion:
    Keeley RAT or Tonebone Classic
    Delay:
    My fav=Echopark, DL4 (lots on tap), Boss DD-20

I would be content playing almost any gig with these pedals.

6. justicetones

justicetones Member

Peterson strobostomp. The Only tuner that is worthy IMHO. I never realized how much I might have had tuning issues until I used one.

Analogman Bicomp for me. Very flexible. Also check out his bi-chorus.
    Robotalk also is great for certain things to.

That said all four of these pedals live on my pedalboard.

Chris

7. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Well, there are too many opinions on this topic so I'll add another.

Strobo tuner for sure; a compressor is optional as is a wah or a volume pedel then one or two distortion, fuzz or overdrives are necessary as is a delay then you could have a chorus or a trem, some delay, maybe flanger or a phase, some delay, maybe a reverb and some delay but make sure you have some delay, oh and a delay.

I like delay.

8. justicetones

justicetones Member

definitely a delay. I use two. Analogman modded DD-5, and a stock Boss DM-2 Analog delay for short stuff.

Chris.

9. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Me too, an AD-99 and a Memory lane.

10. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

You will love your D30, I've been running mine since May and I couldn't be happier. Still finding new settings that sound great, yet it's very easy to dial in a good tone. I could gig with this amp with nothing more than a delay pedal and a Strobostomp if I were so inclined, and this is the first amp I can honestly say that about. Also, don't underestimate the Kingsley Boost pedal that Simon includes, it rocks hard.

FWIW, my pedalboard includes a Clyde, Rat II, the Kingsley Boost, Boss DD5 w/tap pedal, TC SCF, EB Vol, Strobostomp, and Tim. The Tim is usually on, and I'll use some delay and the tuner. The other stuff is no longer critical...