Pedalboard for acoustic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gerraguitar, Feb 5, 2015.

1. gerraguitar

gerraguitar Member

Hey everyone,
    So ive been doing a gig on acoustic for just shy under a year now. I just recently started talking about getting a board with some effects going. I am just curious as to what people are using for an acoustic pedalboard. I think I'm gonna go with a delay, reverb, a chorus, maaaybe a light drive, some kind of EQ control.

I have a sonic stomp I'm going to use, and a Keeley Blues Driver that I can set for real light od, and although I'm unsure of how it'll sound I have a Small Clone chorus. I have a few delays/verbs kicking around but I might get some new stuff soon.

What do you guys use? More digital based? I do also use an LR Baggs pre as well.

Thanks!

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I am a sucker for a don't-know-it's-on-till-it's-not optical compressor on acoustic.
    A touch of hall reverb is nice. Anything else, to me, masks the nature of the acoustic vibe. A little delay is ok, but quickly gets in the way. Drive might just sound like something is wrong with the gear. And chorus can make thinks sound like tuning is "loose".

JoePass likes this.
  3. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I had a little PT-Mini with tuner, comp, delay, and reverb and I liked it. In the long run, I just didn't really use it to it's full potential.

4. gerraguitar

gerraguitar Member

It's a pop country gig so I might not even need a chorus. The one thing I'm concerned with, if you wanna call it that, is my delay being a bit too dark. I'd throw my Ekko 616 on there at first but that might be a bit too dark, same with my small clone which is why I'm hesitant on the boxes I have at the ready.

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Check out the TC Helicon Play Acoustic. Tuner, compressor, chorus, reverb, EQ, DI all-in-one. Price is right when you add it up as opposed to individual pedals.

MrHarryReems likes this.
  6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think a little dark delay would fit the bill nicely.
    The trick these days is to use light short delay instead of reverb to prevent a muddy mix.
    I was hooked on compression for a long time. When I decided to go without, it took me a while to adjust to the dynamics. In short, a little compression helps a lot in making the acoustic easier to work into a louder band. If it is pop country like I am used to, you have up to 2 other electrics and a steel player, possibly even fiddle. Subtlety will be pointless.

In a lot of band mixes, the acoustic is more part of the rhythm section than anything else. Adding time based stuff like delay and reverb could work to make the pocket less precise.

7. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Here's something I put together for my acoustic. I like the sounds and options it gives me:

[​IMG]

8. shinksma

shinksma Member

I assume you are going straight into the PA. If you are going to play with some overdrive/dirt, use an amp-modeling pedal. Dirt on acoustic sounds buzzy without going through the tone-shaping that a regular electric guitar amp provides.

Chorus, compression, EQ, and light reverb are where I would start. Very light delay can also add some good sounds, but be careful it doesn't overwhelm.

I like the idea of a tremolo like mrpinter uses.

9. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

Here's what I used last Sunday:

[​IMG]

PolyTune Mini > TC Hall of Fame Mini > Malekko Trem > Pinkman Boost > FB Triple > Trinity T2 > LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI (offboard)

The Malekko Trem is now a Malekko Chorus, and I'm considering a Malekko Phase as well!

10. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Yeah, tremolo can be magic with acoustic guitar. A touch of chorus can be pretty, and I like a bit of plate or room reverb from my Dr Scientist.

11. G22

G22 Member

Here's mine :

[​IMG]

Bottom with mxr eq for my pickups, will change them soon for programmable eq so that I won't always hand the knobs and change my settings :

[​IMG]

Wanted something small for acoustic/vocals with good power supply.

LINK WITH MORE PICTURES : http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1510164

TB72 and dpgreek like this.
  12. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Has anyone tried the Fishman ToneDEQ?

On Paper, it seems like the perfect solution. But what I don't like is the apparent lack of control over the reverb/delays, inability to change effect order, and inability to use reverb & delay simultaneously, as that is what I primarily use for acoustic-electric.

Overall, I'm more than pleased with my K&K XLR Preamp->M9 for my needs, but something like an all in one solution like the Fishman would be a bit more appealing...

NoQuarter likes this.
  13. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

What are you considering for an EQ? Have you looked at the Source Audio Programmable EQ? Looks pretty schweet.

14. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I'm considering buying this. I'd just use the delay, set a reverb pedal after it and a tuner before it on a pedal board.

cliveluis likes this.
  15. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

[​IMG]

LR Baggs Direct Box and Preamp rocks! I use a volume pedal and go out to a Vox Pathfinder for a monitor and PA for mains. Add a little reverb (not too much) and you are good to go!

16. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I originally had this for a combo board (acoustic path on the upper row):

[​IMG]

But now I'm playing in a cover band that's a little bit more involved, so I've actually got three signal paths now (Acoustic, Mandolin, Electric).

[​IMG]

Signal chains are as follows:

Acoustic: Maritime Analog L'il Stomper Compressor (Ross clone of some sort, I believe) -> Korg PitchBlack -> Micro POG -> RC-2 w/ aux switch -> LR Baggs Para DI

Mandolin: MXR EQ -> Peterson StroboStomp II (using the active DI to PA)

Reverb for both via the PA.

Electric: Diamond Comp -> TurboTuner -> BF Rat -> TIM -> Diamond Tremolo -> MLJr -> RV-3

Everything is powered by a PP2+ and an Iso 5. Haven't run across any grounding issues are with separate signal chains being powered by shared supplies.

17. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

I'm largely in agreement with TheoDog's suggestions. My acoustic chain is in my sig; like a number of the boards posted here, I use the LR Baggs PADI. Really the only "effects" I have on my acoustic are the Empress compressor (total winner, gotta have a blend knob for acoustic compression IMO) and the AD9, which I typically use in place of a reverb pedal anyway. I don't use reverb because we either add it at the board when running direct or I use the reverb built into my Fender Acoustasonic Jr. if it's an amp gig.

18. RickK

RickK Member

When I had my acoustic trio (guitar/guitar/bass) I couldn't live without comps for the guitars. An auto mode comp wig soft knee (check out various Keely models) will let you keep fingerpicking in the mix yet stay balanced when you are really strumming it out. Not a lot - set the threshold so you have no compression with fingerpicking and just get 6ish dB of gain reduction when strumming

On top of that we both used basic chorus/delay/reverb. Nice to have a big atmospheric reverb on top of the slide work I was doing

19. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I think it all starts with the pickup and preamp. If your guitar tone isn't happening, effects won't make much difference. Some crappy factory undersaddle? Yuck.

I have three different pickup rigs going right now on different guitars. The best is a K&K with a Red-Eye DI/preamp. The K&K is good without the Red-Eye, but it's magic with it. Likewise, the Red-Eye is a nice DI with other pickups, but just LOVES the K&K.

Next up is a Baggs M1A active magnetic. It's butt-ugly and a bit oversensitive to soundboard touches, but sounds great and has a very hot signal for whatever crap DI the soundguy offers (or guitar pedals). Jeff Tweedy of Wilco uses them a lot and is all over YouTube, if you want to get a sense of the sound in real conditions rather than someone's basement.

Finally, I have a Baggs Lyric in a 12 string. For a lighter-toned guitar, this mic solution works fantastic, with realistic tone and remarkably little feedback. I'm not sure it would be great in a boomy, bass-heavy guitar, but for this particular guitar it's great.

20. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

LR Baggs pre and EHX nano holy grail. Works wonders without turning things into a circus.