1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pedalboard friendly amp/cab modeler?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by fishman919, May 19, 2011.

1. fishman919

fishman919 Supporting Member

I'm looking for suggestions for a board-friendly (PT Jr) unit mostly for amp and cab modeling. I'm pretty happy with my current pedal set up. I have a Tech21 Blonde but would like a little more versatility without chucking the entire board and going to a all-in-one modeler. I'm also working toward going direct more often. Options I've come up with so far:

- Get another Tech21 character pedal but I would only have room for one more, plus there's not a way to switch between multiple settings (except between pedals)
    - Go with a smaller multi-fx like the Digitech RP155 or Zoom G2nu and only use the amp/cab modeling

The Tech21 Tri-AC looks the closest but I don't think it's at the same level as the current character pedals.

Any other ideas or feedback is appreciated.

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Within your PT Jr. constraints, it sounds like you've narrowed it down to the right options. At this point it's just a matter of auditioning each option and seeing what works best for you.

3. rsm

rsm Member

I've been asking this same question for years! I have several posts on this.

I'm using an old Tonelab desktop or Liverpool pedal with my G-System for a direct board. The Zoom G2Nu may work; I have a G2.1Nu which is too big. I plan to get the G3 if the manual / specs indicate it may work for me.

Another option may be one of the smaller Digitech RP units?

I ordered a V-Machine for this, but it was backordered for so long I got tired of waiting.

Then there's the Ethos pedal.

In one of my topics on this subject, someone provided a link to a amp modeling pedal (with tubes) from DAR amps in the works...IIRC it also supports 3rd party IRs?

I'm open to other options...what are they?

Edit: Here is the post / link from one of my topics on this:

4. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

OK, Ill bite......why not a POD 500 or an11R?

5. fishman919

Because I like my current pedals and a POD or 11R is overkill for just amp/cab modeling.

Like the post above it seems like there would be market for someone who only wants to add amp/cab modeling so they can go direct without ditching their current pedals. I'm asking the question to see if anyone else knows of a solution. Thanks for the feedback.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Fwiw, the HD-300 is fairly small no bs modeller. I think it would fit on your PT Jr andit would be all that you would need.. The amp models are quite good as are the fx. Has a built in volume/wah pedal as well...
    The HD-500 is overkill for me, the 300 is not

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

Unfortunately not quite... The HD300 dimensions are 18.29"L x 9.56"w. The PT Jr. is 17"L x 12.5"w.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  8. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

You mean these dimensions are wrong?

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-2054

But I agree that none of the HDs will fit a PT Jr.

9. hippietim

hippietim Member

Boss GP-20 Amp Factory - it was actually a pretty good sounding little box.

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

Interesting... I just did a quick google search of "HD300 Dimensions" and found the ones I posted above listed on several sites. Should have known better to trust the interwebz :bonk

11. fishman919

This GP-20 might do the trick, used it looks like they go for less than $100. Thanks!

12. hippietim

hippietim Member

you should look at the line 6 am4 as well.

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Oh well....I guess my point still is that the 300 is fairly small...I know it will fit the next size up PT....Mine was one that with room to spare for a while till I realized I just didn't need it..