Pedalboard needs to be road worthy. Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rocksully, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I love my board. It's been gigged with, in the studio, etc, BUT I want to make it more road worthy.
    I have a PT Pro, and it is PACKED. Takes to long to set up and tear down.
    Im really happy with my sound, but it isnt a quick setup/tear down.
    It's powered with a TRex Juicy Lucy, 2 Voodoo Labs PP2+, and a CIOKS AC10.
    Who can I send it to, to have a new board built that is more efficient?
    Id like it to be affordable. Im not making a living at music yet.
    I can get a new board, but I need a road case as well.
    I want it to be organized, tidy, and easy to use. Look professional and be durable.
    Be able to be transported easily, and have a super easy setup.

Who has great prices that I should check out?

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Mason at Vertex, hands down.

3. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

Great. I just sent Mason an email.

Thank you

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

You made a good choice. This is what he did for Robben Ford:

[​IMG]

I've wanted Mason to do a board for me for years, but in truth, I change pedals too frequently!!

5. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

Maybe you can explain why it takes a long time to set up and tear down? What features would make it faster?

6. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I need to plug 4 power supplies in to the board, and it barely fits in the PP2+ hard case.

There isnt a free cm of space on the board.

This is an older pic, as Ive added 2 more pedals since this was taken.

[​IMG]

7. Nota

Nota Member

Warning: Rant from a younger guy who probably has less experience at music than anyone here.

I'd simplify the pedalboard :) Just buy yourself another PT the next size down, and lock yourself in a room until you choose what you absolutely need on that new board. With less pedals, you may find that you don't need the switcher! That'll free up even more space.

I have never understood why people want to drag around that much gear!

8. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I can respect your opinion. I actually use everything on this board.
    All ODs, the delays. Everything has it's place. Certain songs have certain sounds. All of this is necessary.

9. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

sounds like you need a axe fx lol. If my rig got that big i would think about getting a nice rack setup and just buy a nice midi footswitch for it.

10. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Just another idea.
    http://prostagegear.com/products/pedalboards/grande/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I built my own. I like a lot of effects. I use a One Spot.

12. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

I thought about it but i just ordered myself a rondo music board last night cost me with shipping like $55

http://www.rondomusic.com/pdc410fbk.html i'd say its far from being road worthy but with some tweaks i'm sure i can make it last the long haul for my basement playing. They make some really massive boards though. I've had my agile guitar for couple years now and it seems to be holding up pretty good.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Rondo has great prices on boards. If I had seen them before I built mine, I would have spent the extra $30 and saved myself the time and trouble. I have about $25 in mine. It's made out of 1/2" plywood, has a latching lid and is set up specifically the way I want it though.

14. seisxseisxseis

seisxseisxseis Member

They make a decent board, especially for the price. Do yourself a favor and replace the fabric immediately. The first time you take something off or move it around, it's going to lift right off the board.

15. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

wow that's a huge ****ing board. With pedals on top of other pedals, wow man!

also that rondomusic board is pretty affordable for the size and considering it has a "briefcase" built in :aok

16. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I used a Rondo for a few years, they are ok but they are also (from what I understand) cardboard with aluminum on the outside. Not what I'd call roadworthy.

17. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

whats wrong with aluminum? i work in a metal fab shop and aluminum works just fine for military? If the inside base under fabric is cardboard who cares its what $200 cheaper or something when compared to other brands. I'm just a at home player but if i had a roadie crew or whatever that just threw my gear around some heads would be rolling. All it takes is couple tweaks to make a cheap rondo pedalboard a real contender. I hear complaints of hinges going bad after a little while and fabric coming loose after taking pedals off couple times. Sounds like a simple fix to me. You also left out that rondo cases have steel reinforced edges.

here is a boss pedalboard that i paid about same price for my bigger rondo board... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ampaign=none&gclid=CLDK89LTvK4CFUdN4AodZDiRWw

looks like its made out of plastic? i'm sure pros have been seen with a boss pedalboard. I guess i should stock up on plastic behringer pedals if plastic is superior to aluminum

18. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

So, it takes too long to set up because you have to plug in 4 power supplies? I don't understand.

You want to pay someone to make it more efficient, but honestly the only way to make it more efficient is to downsize. You say you can't. So I don't understand how someone else can do anything for you. Your Pedaltrain is packed, how are you going to fit any more onto another board? :huh

Downsize is key. Maybe you could ditch 4 delays and pick up a Timeline. I bet you could get by with less gain pedals too. If you really want an easier set up, smaller is the way to go. If you truly can't, then you are insane and you need to basically suck it up and deal with your large board.

Maybe you should send me the money for helping you become more efficient.

19. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

The pp2 has a courtesy outlet. Plug 2 power supplies into those with shortened cords...they will be permanently connected...then you are down to only 2 cords to plug in. If you tell me that you are using wall warts in that setup, then you are using the wrong power supplies. I'd look into getting a pedal power digital for one of the power supplies.

I look at what you have plugged into the musicom, and I don't really get your thought process. For one thing it doesn't have all your pedals in there so you are still having to tap dance. I have used switchers before, both with rack drawers full of pedals, and on the floor...but with a board that big...wow...

The only thing I can say is I'd have to experience the pain of dealing with a downed rig like that only once at a gig, and have band mates look at me like I'm crazy...I would be tearing it down and making it smaller.

Any board where a klon is used as a pedal riser is just way over the top IMHO. Sorry...but if it makes you happy that's all that counts I guess. I think you will struggle with that on the "road" in its current form.

For all the $ in gear there, the vertex solution is a good one. I think he would help in making solid choices so it is giggable. The only thing is, you are paying big $ so it should be a board that is static and you are not flipping pedals in and out much...otherwise that defeats the purpose.

20. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

There is a pedalboard builder in Canada as well Rocksully. Casey Hanson of Fallout-labs.com also builds up pedalboards. He recently built me a pedalboard interface and integrated his "Stevia" buffer into the interface.