Pedalboard Philosophy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lt_Core, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I'm curious what people think about this subject:

A) Use a board with your core pedals, plus extra pedals that you use once in awhile but not as much. They would be on the board ready to go at a moment's notice.

or

B) Use a board with only your core pedals that you use 95% of the time.

You can't say both ;)

I'm in a rock cover band and my old philosophy was to accommodate almost every type of effect (modulation, OD, etc.). Maybe one or two songs out of 45+ per gig would use phaser, tremolo, flanger, etc.

I've been thinking about downsizing my 36" wide, two-tier board down to a Pedaltrain Jr. or PT2. I mostly use delay, 2 OD's, tuner, compressor and chorus. That covers 95% of what I do if not more.

Less cabling, lighter to carry, etc. You get the point. If I would need an effect for a special song I could always make room (maybe) or run it off to the side. Thoughts?

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I went from a PT Jr. to a PT 2 back to a Jr. The pedals on it are the ones I use, period. The only others I have are older ones that would cost more to ship to somebody than I can get for them. I'll probably donate them somewhere.

3. Lt_Core

Would these fit on a Pedaltrain Jr.?

Tone Press
    MI Audio Blues Pro
    OCD v4
    TU-2
    DD-20
    MXR 10-band EQ
    Chorus Factory

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Cut a piece of cardboard to the dimensions of a PT Jr. and lay your pedals on it.

5. Lt_Core

Yup...LOL! I'm "busy" at work, no cardboard around :)

6. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I try to keep the board loaded with anything I may or may not need for any gig.

7. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

+1. I set it up like my rack so I have all of those tones available.

Matt

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i say option A. you might as well have what you need in front of you. helps me keep creative with the music if i really think "man, the PS-5 would sound great here...." presses with foot "yup, that was sweet" as compared with just playing with what your comfortable with as your basics. Keeps you fresh you know?!?!

9. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

B, definitely. I'm kind of glad I got a PT2 and not a PTPro, because it keeps the scope down. I use every pedal on my board at a gig, and don't need anything that isn't on it.

My biggest recent change was removing a half-dozen delay/modulation type pedals and programming all the sounds I need into a Lexicon Vortex that's now on the board. Works a lot better, and gives me some very cool capabilities I didn't have before.

10. joshrum

joshrum Member

i would definitely have to go with option "A". I'm all about originality, so I don't like limiting myself to what I think I will use... if I want to do something different I would want the options in front of me.

11. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I guess I would be in catagory "B" I don't like to lug around what I may not use, only what I will use. But, to each their own, there are merits to both lines of thought.
    Best Regards!

12. improv4

improv4 Member

I say "A" for myself. I do more improvisational playing than anything else; so it's nice to have the choices available. It sounds like "B" is a good route for you or maybe pick up a second board down the line for those extra effects. I guess the question is, "That 5% that you use those other pedals, does that outway the benefit of the lighter board?"
    Good luck man!

13. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Small is beautiful. Use hands more and feet less.

DS

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

Two bands, two boards. With each I use every pedal at least once during a normal gig.

15. gibson60

gibson60 Member

B
    Simple and straightforward works best for me. I even contemplate removing my phaser because i only use it twice a night.

16. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Any pedal that I don't want to play every day gets sold. But that's just me.

17. 205

205 Senior Member

As a vocalist/guitarist it has to be simple so I just have what I need.

18. MkF!

MkF! Member

I'm probably in catagory A, but I don't think that most audiences would know the difference between nailing every tone and not.

~MkF!
    "Now with lower tar!"

19. KBN

KBN Member

I go with option A. I have a fairly large board and I use everything on the board, some pedals only once or twice in a set, but I use them. That being said, I probably wouldn't have too much trouble getting through a set with a distortion and a tuner. I like having the other flavors though.

20. njhead

njhead Member

Option B, I have used a Pedaltrain Jr ever since they came out. If the pedal doesn't get used consistently on gigs, it comes off the board and gets replaces with something that will. There are lot of small stages out there where there is not room for a large board... When going to the studio, I just bring a box full of toys.