Pedalboard pickle... too many overdrives!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ThomasRedmondtonechaser, Sep 1, 2019.

Which would you get rid of?

1. Wampler Tumnus Deluxe

14.9%
  2. Wampler Pantheon

41.9%
  3. Paul C. TIMMY

20.3%
  4. Fulltone Catalyst

60.8%
  5. Hermida Audio Zendrive (gold sides FET)

17.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ThomasRedmondtonechaser

ThomasRedmondtonechaser Member

Hey pedal people- I’m a new member to TGP but I’ve read plenty of discussions as a non member to know how this all works.

Anyway- I’m in a pedalboard pickle and I’m curious to hear what y’all think is worth keeping on my board for a blues/rock set up.

My main guitar and amp consists of an Eastman T386 (335 copy) and a Vox AC30 with blue celestion speakers.

The overdrives I currently own are the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and Pantheon, a Paul C. Timmy, a Fulltone Catalyst, and the Zendrive 2 (Gold sides with FET). I’m also running a Black Cat Super Fuzz in the mix but I’m definitely keeping that out of the convo.

Honestly I love all of these pedals in their own way but a few of these basically do the same trick in a different flavor.

I want to limit my board to a 2-3 drive stage section. For a while I liked stacking the Tumnus before the Pantheon for a KOT vibe. The Zendrive and Timmy as both sorta similar to the TS circuits which I like to have on a board for crunchin’ leads. Timmy is better for open uncompressed warm overdrive, while the zen is my preferred lead soloing pedal. The catalyst can go all the way from light boost to Rat-like distortion, which I prefer the latter.

Any thoughts on what y’all would do with all these pedals if you could only run 2 or 3? Open to anything.

Cheers!
    -Thomas

2. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

I just went through this. I had 6 overdrives that all basically did the same thing. I narrowed it down by deciding which one ‘felt’ better. This could be decided a few ways:
    -Which ones inspire you when they’re on and you dig in a little more.
    -Which ones cut through in a band mix better.
    -Hey, even looks can matter in this case.

MeisterD likes this.
  3. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

In a list of 2 Wampler, take 1 away.

Nothing against Wampler, but it’s just what caught my eye first.

IMO, the order in which you are stacking will be more important than which pedals stay on the board.

4. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Whatever you do, keep the Timmy.

skiltrip, sanfi4u, bikeracr and 3 others like this.
  5. Twrogstudio

Twrogstudio Member

Keep the Timmy and Zen. You can do almost anything with that combo.

6. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

Pay attention at your next gig to see which ones you actually use during the set. Remove the ones you don’t use. I’d you have several ODs that you enjoy, swap them out regularly for a fresh change

7. shayneallen

shayneallen Supporting Member

This is an easy fix. Get one of Kingsley’s fine offerings, and each time you step on another drive....you’ll wanna go back to the Kingsley. :) Some amount of jest, but more or less the way it goes for me anytime I put one of Simon’s boxes on a board. I stop using all the others....

pats and ThomasRedmondtonechaser like this.
  8. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

Hold up each pedal, one by one. Does it spark joy? If so, keep it. If not, sell it.

Jaydnt, Colamander, rorteh and 7 others like this.
  9. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

I voted to remove the Pantheon. Not a bad pedal but not a great one either for my setup. Not a knock against Brian as he is an ace builder!

10. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

11. Åsmund Selland

Åsmund Selland Member

Sell them all and buy a Boss Metal Zone and a Dod Grunge!

12. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I really wanted to like the Catalyst. I just couldn’t find anything it did decently well, and that’s being charitable.

13. ThomasRedmondtonechaser

I agree 100%. I already had it sell on reverb today. So now it’s probably gonna be the Pantheon that goes for my setup.

Atmospheric likes this.
  14. ThomasRedmondtonechaser

Update- my Catalyst actually sold on Reverb today (I was already trying to let it go for a while but thought it was worth throwing in the poll)

Some of my additional thoughts:

Timmy is just so great at driving my tubes for girthy breakup. Tumnus I like to make the Timmy dirtier. And the Zendrive is like it’s own amp/breakup response so I usually play it by itself.

My current thinking is starting with the tumnus into the Timmy into the Zendrive. Pantheon is probably on its way out but I still dig the Blues Breaker vibe. It can sometimes be too bright but it’s still a good pedal. Just not using it a bunch.

15. Jim Hagerman

Jim Hagerman Supporting Member

Which two play best with each other? That is, operating both at same time, you can get four combinations of tones (0, 1, 01, 10). Sometimes I run my boost into the overdrive for some extra magic. :)

16. ThomasRedmondtonechaser

Great point- I think the Timmy is my deserted island pedal and the Zendrive and Tumnus are next if there’s a care package.

17. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

I voted to boot the pantheon and tumnus.

Retain the complement of your warm OD Timmy (or any other role) and fave lead solo zendrive. Different roles at foot.

I think the wamplers with thre band eq are too fiddly. Only had experience with pantheon and mini tumnus though. But yr ears are picking classics.

As far as catalyst, only you can decide. I'd treat yourself :) rat setting mentioned you like best. Different enough to justify remaining, and a quirky, dare I say maligned choice but whogives a ****, and you got Timmy and zen anyway. I think that's cool.

18. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

In my rig and to my ears the Catalyst stunk up the joint... and then there’s the MF part of the calculation. :dunno

19. ThomasRedmondtonechaser

Interesting take! I think I’m definitely in the market for a better rat distortion. Sold my Catalyst today to a willing Reverber. It was like a multi tool/Swiss army kind of pedal which I didn’t need. I’d recommend people trying it out. The buffer could sometimes make it sound too bright but it wasn’t a bad sound overall. The Timmy and Zen are probs the best of the crop and won’t move.

P.S. My Timmy is a limited edition in Paul’s fav color- sparkle green :banana

Also I’ve been waiting to use the :banana smile for a while now

20. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

Your problem is too small of a board.

To me the Catalyst is not a drive for the music you play. Hated that pedal.

Two or three that stack well would be the direction I’d go. Just get the pedal order correct.