Pedalboard Reallignment + PP/AC Question + NYC PBs Question + Reverb Question

Aquinas

After using pared down boards for a while now, I have decided to rebuild my old, complicated rig. The reason for this is that I am in a new band now, playing mostly originals, and I love to use effects...

Anyway, here is my new, improved setup (in theory, at least):

AMVRi Jazzmaster / Hamer Artist Korina
Bad Cat Black Cat 30r Combo

Guitar->
Teese RMC3 ->
CC2 Octave->
CC2 Fuzz Face->
Fuzz Factory->
Zero->
Octane 3->
ZIM (VT and H9)->
CC2 Provibe [W/Speed Pedal]->
AM Clone->
Supa-Trem->
DD-5->
EHX DMM->
**Verbzilla->
TU-2 (rep. w/Strobo at some point)->
Amp

Yeah, I know, a lot of fuzzes, so sue me.

PP/AC Question: I was planning on wiring up a PP2 to power all the 9vDC effects; this should be no problem for these 7 pedals. However, the CC2 and DMM take "odd" supplies; I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the PP/AC, and whether it could power the DMM. I know the CC2 is no problem.

NYC PB Question: I was thinking of getting one of these, specifically the "Big Shot". I was just hoping for some advice regarding these. Any disadvantages? I know they aren't flight-worthy, but that doesn't really matter to me for now. I'm more concerned at getting all this stuff to fit without any serious wiring problems; do any of you think that may be a problem? I haven't yet taken the time to lay out all these pedals, so I don't really know yet whether they will fit.

Reverb Question: I haven't decided yet whether I would like the convenience of a pedal reverb or the sound of a spring unit. I only use reverb for big, ambient, spring-y effects (see: J.Mascis [Dinosaur Jr.] on "Alone"). I would only be using the spring setting on the Verbzilla, but from what I've heard it is the best simulation that has been produced in pedal form. Any advice on the reverb front, taking into account that money is no object and that I will only be using spring-like effects?

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by Aquinas
PP/AC Question: I was planning on wiring up a PP2 to power all the 9vDC effects; this should be no problem for these 7 pedals. However, the CC2 and DMM take "odd" supplies; I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the PP/AC, and whether it could power the DMM. I know the CC2 is no problem.
The PP2 has an outlet on the back of it for anything the front can't supply juice for. I use the back outlet to run my Switchbone, which requires a 15V power supply.

--chiba

telebuck

Ive got a NYC Big Shot and am able to fit 14 or 15 pedals, of various sizes, without much trouble. This includes a wah, and a few larger square pedals (mojo vibe, nova wah, pentavocal). I use a PP2+ to power them all. I assume you would be getting the 2nd level riser (PP fits underneath nicely).

Here is an older configuration (somewhat messy) using the NYC board that fits 16.

Aquinas

Originally posted by Chiba
The PP2 has an outlet on the back of it for anything the front can't supply juice for. I use the back outlet to run my Switchbone, which requires a 15V power supply.

--chiba
Yeah, I knew that. Problem is, I have 2+ pedals in need of "odd" supplies. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the PP/AC?

TBone

Yeah, I knew that. Problem is, I have 2+ pedals in need of "odd" supplies. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the PP/AC?
Check out the JuiceBox from Pedalgear.net. In addition to the standard 9, 12, 15 and 18 volt DC, it can supply a range of DC voltages from 4.6 to 24 volts plus 12 VAC. 3000mA total!

TBone:D

Aquinas

Originally posted by TBone
Check out the JuiceBox from Pedalgear.net. In addition to the standard 9, 12, 15 and 18 volt DC, it can supply a range of DC voltages from 4.6 to 24 volts plus 12 VAC. 3000mA total!

TBone:D
Yeah, that looks pretty cool. But the outputs aren't all isolated like the PP2. Plus, I need a 9vAC output which it doesn't have. Too bad...

TBone

Yeah, that looks pretty cool. But the outputs aren't all isolated like the PP2.

True but if you require more than 100mA per ISO like found on the PP2, you have to combine channels with a special cable (and loose number of ISO's) while still only getting to a 200mA max. Many pedals can actually share ISO's without a problem which is why some players are able to get by with a power supply without any ISO's. But as the rig becomes more complex and more demanding like yours, these supplies fall short. So JuiceBox was designed to give you more power per channel and a usable number of ISO's. With a little creative connecting, you can power most rigs with the 5 ISO's. Just be sure that you don't mix pedals that are tip (+) and tip (-) on the same ISO. And if you do have a pedal that causes a confilct, use another channel for that one. So you don't have to limit the number of effects on your board to the number of ISO's on a good power supply

Digital pedals on the other hand do prefer not to share ISO power with other digital pedals and even when isolated, some of them still make noise when more than one is used in line.

Plus, I need a 9vAC output which it doesn't have.

Just curious, what is the pedal that uses 9vAC? Many of the 9vAC pedals also accept 12vAC as they typically have a voltage regulator as the first stage inside the pedal.

TBone

Aquinas

The 9vAC pedal is the Captain Coconut.
The DMM requires 24vDC.
I would be powering 9 9vDC effects, two high-current digital ones...

Any help?

TBone

The 9vAC pedal is the Captain Coconut.
The DMM requires 24vDC.
I would be powering 9 9vDC effects, two high-current digital ones...

Any help?
I checked with Dave at Foxrox - he recommends staying at 9vAC on the CC2. He said the regulator might heat up at 12vAC. The 9vDC effects should not be a problem if you put one ea of the digital pedals on different Iso's.

I'll look into the 9vAC option further and let you know if I come up with a solution.

Have a great day -

TBone :)

Trending Topics