Pedalboard replaced by switcher?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jeffj, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I currently use a pedalboard with the following pedals....TU-2 Tuner, Keeley Compressor, Bad Bob, Fulldrive, Line 6 MM4, Line 6 DL4, & Ernie Ball volume pedal.....all powered by a Pedal Power II....I am ignorant when it comes to switchers, midi, etc. so excuse the dumb questions..Could I use somekind of switcher (front of stage) & have my pedals rackmounted in a rack case? I would like to have everything in the backline except somekind of floorboard up front. I do not currently or plan to have any rackmount equipment, just stomboxes. Any recommendations?? thanks

2. livedead13

livedead13 Member

3. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

won't be good for switching presets on your line 6 boxes though.

4. stevieray

stevieray Member

Second that. There's a lot of cool features built into the footswitches of those modeler pedals, especially the DL4. You could always go with the pro modelers!

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I was in your exact position 2 days ago...I still am, eventhough i understand now a lot mot better. You would need to get a rack case, some pedal rack shelves, sometime like a swichblade GL, Axcess fx-1 foot controller to controll the Swichblade and the channels, and a few more things...Im going to do it later on:)

6. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The industry standard is still Bob Bradshaw at Custom Audio Electronics in N. Hollywood. Other rig builders include Brian Swerdfeger who has done Frampton's rack, Mark Snyder who assembled John Petrucci's monster, Dave Friedman of Rack Systems, Ltd also in Hollywood, Steen Skyrdstrup in Holland or Denmark(The Edge's current rig), Axxess Electronics(MArio is a great guy but they are retooling a lot of products right now) and Paul Lenders. I suggest that you visit www.hugeracksinc.com which is a killer site like this but even more dedication to all things rack from switchers, rackmount efx, pedals, pedal drawers, and all the ins/outs(no pun intended) of assembling a roadworthy rack rig. Also, you may want to chat with Lyle Caldwell who posts here a lot and has done some amazing custom products. Have fun...

7. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

A word of Advice if your happy with how it works now then dont change it. Midi switchers can be hard to use and hard to understand. Some take a lot of time to be told how to work as you would like them to, others are simpler. The main thing with Midi switching is the Brain/midi units which sits in the rack, and the controllor which is a floor based unit. Midi wire link the two.

Aj

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Couple of small things.

1) the volume pedal AND the TU-2 you're probably still going to want down on the floor in front of you, along with the switcher.

That leaves the Keeley compressor, bad bob?, fulldrive, and two line 6's.
    That's really only 5 pedals you would be moving to the backline. Is it worth it?

2) I just bought my first "Looper" which has three seperate loops (can turn on any, all, or all off) and seperate tuner out. Another nice feature, a "master"...the idea behind that I think is, I maybe want loops 1 and 3 on, but the whole shebang off for a part of a song.
    Anyway, it is way less expensive (I'm guessing) than the ground control, etc. and it is a good way to get your feet wet and see if that is the direction you want to go. Another thing I never thought of, EVEN if you aren't going to use it on stage, a looper is essential if you want to find out which pedals are tone-suckers...I've learned so much about which pedals are causing the most change in my tone since I got my looper.

The nice thing also, you can leave pedals on, but turn off the loop they're in, so you just hit that loop when you want to use them. You can have several configurations ready (no having to turn on one then another immidiately...tap dancing, if you plan a little) and they can be a little further away even but still close enough to tweak.

Just some thoughts that may or may not be useful for however you are planning to go with it.

9. analogjunkie

analogjunkie Member

you need 'sometime' like a switch blade in your back for real.... i hate you and hope karma comes to strike you with a vengance- STOP WASTING PEOPLES TIME MARKOM!!!!

anyway. on the switcher- it would be a waste of money for you to do this.. 5-700$ just to not have your pedals on the floor? a rackmount switcher is just another unit that can break.. and i wouldnt trust the cable etc. just get a true bypass switch as stomboxblue suggested.

10. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

Thanks for all the info guys........after realizing I would still have to have my tuner & volume pedal out front (obviously :jo ), seems like it really wouldnt be worth the $$ or trouble. Plus, not being able to switch the Line 6 presets would be dumb too...Thanks for all the info everyone....

11. dhs

dhs Member

Don't go with Dave Friedman. I sent him almost $300 to build me a power supply several years ago and I never saw it. He'll rip you off.

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I would be wary of Dave too although he modded a 1977 Marshall head and had it back to me within a week.

13. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

It's worth it, to me. Having multiple pedals switched on or off with one stomp is where it's at. Especially if you are a singer. I went this route. It was definitely worth it for me to make performance easier and more enjoyable for me.

[​IMG]

There's a GCX rear-mounted switching pedals in and out.

[​IMG]

Pedal lineup has changed a little, but same concept. This way works for what I like. Very few things to plug in when you set it up, and it is fairly free of clutter.

14. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Member

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The WOBO switchers have the same goal, mine is kind of compromise because I want to switch sounds with a stomp, but still want to have the pedals there to adjust and mess with... A lot of gear like this stuff is a bit cost-prohibitive for me, unfortunately, but I'm happy with what I'm getting (slowly) worked out...

16. delay

delay Member

get the custom audio electronics rs10 (which is cheaper than the skrydstrup switchers) then get the skrydstrup mr4 to loop all your pedals to get them to your switcher. you should buy 2 of them bcuz you can only loop 4 pedals with them (you should leave your ernie ball and your tu2 beside your switcher). 2 would be better because if you should have to buy more pedals, there's more room to put them into your switcher.

hope that helps

17. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

For what it's worth, I just upgraded to a CAE RS10 Mk II and I have a Rocktron Midi Mate version 1 I'm not using. The vers 1 is better suited to your aplication than the current version 2. Ver 1 will send 10 cc numbers per preset and you can roggle back and forth between direct access and preset modes, almost exactly like the CAE unit. I'd sell this one for $150.00 with the power supply.

Then start looking for a couple of Axess GRX4's used or a Voodoo Lab looper, you'd be in business. Yeah, it's $$$ spent that didn't buy an effect but it gets those high dollar effect up off the floor, nothing like stuff spilled on them or some goof stomping on them and breaking the knobs and patch cords off.