Pedalboard setup for using both Fender & Gibson guitars (output drop).

VanWhelan

Hey everyone -

I'm running into an issue where I can't seem to get my rig (pedals) set up so that it works well with both my R8 Les Paul & my Fender guitars. My R8 has a lot of firepower, but when I switch over to either my Tele or one of my Strats, there's a noticeable output drop, due to the difference in HB's vs single coils.

My main amp is a vintage 1964 Deluxe Reverb. My pedalboard is pretty simple, as I don't use much in the way of effects. Right now my chain is guitar to wah (off board) - tuner - compressor - OD pedals (any combination of Tubescreamer, Timmy & Barber Direct Drive SS) - tremolo pedal - amp. I may add a chorus pedal from time to time, but I tend to play mostly clean or low - mid gain.

One additional problem I'm having is that it seems that I have to use different OD pedals for different guitars, as none of them seem to work well with everything. Each pedal seems to favor either the R8 or my Fenders, but doesn't work well with the other.

So how do you guys address the problem of output drop when switching from Gibson to Fender guitars? Do you use a clean boost pedal or EQ pedal for use with Fender guitars to make up the difference?

Thanks in advance for the help

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
A clean boost or a compressor will probably help, but id probably adjust the amp before making things any more complicated. The thing that gets me when switching between pickups is eq shift, which usually comes down to adjusting my pedals.

ndparse89

Hey everyone -

I'm running into an issue where I can't seem to get my rig (pedals) set up so that it works well with both my R8 Les Paul & my Fender guitars. My R8 has a lot of firepower, but when I switch over to either my Tele or one of my Strats, there's a noticeable output drop, due to the difference in HB's vs single coils.

My main amp is a vintage 1964 Deluxe Reverb. My pedalboard is pretty simple, as I don't use much in the way of effects. Right now my chain is guitar to wah (off board) - tuner - compressor - OD pedals (any combination of Tubescreamer, Timmy & Barber Direct Drive SS) - tremolo pedal - amp. I may add a chorus pedal from time to time, but I tend to play mostly clean or low - mid gain.

One additional problem I'm having is that it seems that I have to use different OD pedals for different guitars, as none of them seem to work well with everything. Each pedal seems to favor either the R8 or my Fenders, but doesn't work well with the other.

So how do you guys address the problem of output drop when switching from Gibson to Fender guitars? Do you use a clean boost pedal or EQ pedal for use with Fender guitars to make up the difference?

Do you use the compressor with your Les Paul? I know a lot of people like compressors with single coils but not humbuckers. Particularly as high output pickups will cause the compressor to kick harder (which may be a desired outcome for some but probably not for most). Increasing the compression would even out the volume between your guitars but it would probably make your les paul sound way more squished than you like. I'd recommend only using the compressor with the single coils and increasing its output to match.

Solution 1: roll down the volume on your higher output guitar to match the lower output one.

Solution 2: Buy a BOSS LS-2 to equalize the signals. You can run up to 3 guitars this way.

Solution 3: Buy an EQ pedal

Solution 4: Buy a clean boost

I tried all of them, and went with Solution 1.

ndparse89

Hey everyone -

As for your overdrive question, yes that's just the nature of how differently voiced overdrives compliment differently voiced guitars. Single coil fenders are bright guitars, and the Deluxe Reverb is a scooped amp, so naturally, the low-cut, mids-humped voice of the Tube Screamer is the perfect compliment for that combination. Whereas high-output humbuckers tend to be very midrange-y, especially on a mahogany guitar. So that already is a good compliment to the scooped amp. Since you already have a complimentary setup with that, the transparent nature of the Timmy makes it the perfect overdrive for that combo. But adding the mid-hump of the Tube Screamer to that guitar will likely sound very muddy and boxy.

VanWhelan

Do you use the compressor with your Les Paul? I know a lot of people like compressors with single coils but not humbuckers. Particularly as high output pickups will cause the compressor to kick harder (which may be a desired outcome for some but probably not for most). Increasing the compression would even out the volume between your guitars but it would probably make your les paul sound way more squished than you like. I'd recommend only using the compressor with the single coils and increasing its output to match.
No, I only use the compressor with the Fenders, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. With the LP, it sounds best with just a touch of OD and nothing else.

The more I look into this, it's sounding like the EQ pedal for my Fender guitars will be my best bet.

ndparse89

No, I only use the compressor with the Fenders, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. With the LP, it sounds best with just a touch of OD and nothing else.

The more I look into this, it's sounding like the EQ pedal for my Fender guitars will be my best bet.
What compressor do you have? There's a few that have a tone knob. Diamond is a good one.

I-IV-V

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t have any suggestions but I’m in the same boat. For me it isn’t just the volume. I have to adjust all of the pedals. I actually thought about posting the same question earlier today.

jmoose

Possibly a minority opinion but I don't see differences between guitars as a problem but more something to embrace.

If I swap from a Les Paul to a strat it's because I want completely different sound.

On the flip side if I have to swap guitars but have everything else, amps etc behave the same way?

Well, that's why I own multiple Les Pauls... a true backup.

I tend to pick & play certain guitars because I like their individual unique character. Not sure I've ever thought, gee I wish this Tele sounded like that PRS...

energycloudz

Solution 1: roll down the volume on your higher output guitar to match the lower output one.

Solution 2: Buy a BOSS LS-2 to equalize the signals. You can run up to 3 guitars this way.

Solution 3: Buy an EQ pedal

Solution 4: Buy a clean boost

I tried all of them, and went with Solution 1.
+1 for Solution 2. I recently started using an LS-2 to solve this same problem, to switch between a 335 chain and strat chain. The LS-2 is extremely useful. You can get very creative with it. I like getting the strat sound just right with just a few pedals, and the 335 sound just right, and selecting between them. On my strat chain I have a clean buffered boost.

dave999z

I have a Dinosaural OTC-201 optical compressor that is kind of an always on first in chain pedal (unless I’m using Germanium). It has an “axe match” three way toggle that can either boost or cut your guitar’s level by 3db. It works perfectly to balance out my les paul and my strat. That pedal is long discontinued, but perhaps there are pedals with a similar function. (I think Thorpy makes a current version of that pedal but don’t think it has that feature.)

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
My Drive Pedal is the Strymon Riverside, with the Boost accessory mini pedal.

The boost mini pedal is great for my Tele and with my play something with a P90 or Humbuker, I don't need the boost. Also, there is a Favorite Button on the Riverside, so you can really dial in individual sounds for each guitar.

PS it has MIDI too.

bluesuede

If you are looking for pedals that work nicely with both an LP and a Strat, my Wampler Euphoria works really well with both. There is a 3 way toggle to select between 2 clipping diodes or op amp clipping. The upper setting (smooth) sounds fantastic with my LP. The middle setting (open, which is op amp clipping) sounds insanely good with my Strat. My Fulltone OCD works nicely with both. I just played my new Barber Gain Changer today, but only with my Strat. I'm going to try it with my Les Paul tomorrow maybe and I will let you know.

As far as volume drops, that's just the nature of the beast when using 2 totally different types of guitars. Best I could tell you is just adjust at the amp, but I don't gig so I don't know how well that will work for you.

Aceman893

I'm a big fan of the LS2 solution, or a simple loop with a boost.

However, get rid of the Fenders and replace them with Les Pauls is really my first choice here, even if you have to have Less Les Pauls...

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
mooer yellow comp
has volume and tone as well as a nice compression
works for me

Trending Topics