Pedalboard setup for using both Fender & Gibson guitars (output drop).

d-rock

I use a preamp pedal (Tech21 Liverpool). I'll raise the volume a bit when I switch from my 335 to my Tele.

I got the idea from Jon Herington of Steely Dan. He uses a dedicated RC Booster for this. Skip to 8:10 on the rig rundown.

Oinkus

Have to do the +1 on the Pickup Booster what it was actually built to accomplish. Pretty much anything that has boost properties that agrees with the setup you have will work. Remember you set it up for sounds with only the single coils if it happens to work with the humbuckers it is an added lucky bonus.

d-rock

Hey everyone -

I'm running into an issue where I can't seem to get my rig (pedals) set up so that it works well with both my R8 Les Paul & my Fender guitars. My R8 has a lot of firepower, but when I switch over to either my Tele or one of my Strats, there's a noticeable output drop, due to the difference in HB's vs single coils.

My main amp is a vintage 1964 Deluxe Reverb. My pedalboard is pretty simple, as I don't use much in the way of effects. Right now my chain is guitar to wah (off board) - tuner - compressor - OD pedals (any combination of Tubescreamer, Timmy & Barber Direct Drive SS) - tremolo pedal - amp. I may add a chorus pedal from time to time, but I tend to play mostly clean or low - mid gain.

One additional problem I'm having is that it seems that I have to use different OD pedals for different guitars, as none of them seem to work well with everything. Each pedal seems to favor either the R8 or my Fenders, but doesn't work well with the other.

So how do you guys address the problem of output drop when switching from Gibson to Fender guitars? Do you use a clean boost pedal or EQ pedal for use with Fender guitars to make up the difference?

Thanks in advance for the help
Using a Fulltone Fat Boost v1 or EP Booster on you Fenders will give them more girth to better match how they hit your OD's like the R8. All while not completely removing the single coil character.

Frosted Glass

There’s 2 approaches:

1. Boost the strat signal to match the LP

2. Limit the LP signal to match the strat

Given I think pedals usually sound better with a weaker signal, I go the latter

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
Possibly a minority opinion but I don't see differences between guitars as a problem but more something to embrace.

If I swap from a Les Paul to a strat it's because I want completely different sound.

On the flip side if I have to swap guitars but have everything else, amps etc behave the same way?

Well, that's why I own multiple Les Pauls... a true backup.

I tend to pick & play certain guitars because I like their individual unique character. Not sure I've ever thought, gee I wish this Tele sounded like that PRS...
Same. I change nothing except which pedal I use (OD or boost with the LP mostly for solos, fuzz with the Strat).

eriwebnerr

This might sound like a really dumb suggestion but personally I cut bass on the HB guitar and have treble bleeds. If you tune it right it will give you very even control of the volume on a high output HB guitar. This way you can really control how hot the signal is with the volume.
For bass cut you can use a bass cut control on one of the pots. This is what I do and I keep the settings pretty much the same between guitars and still feel they retain their character.

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
The Deluxe Reverb has two channels with independent volume controls. You can set them differently for each guitar and then use an AB switch to select between them as you change guitars.

Last edited:

guitarnet70

Several solutions, I use all of them (Boost, comp, guitar volume, different drives) depending on the sound I need.
Never been a big issue though...

markmann

I use humbucker and single coil guitars and I use a EQD Tone job for EQ and boost to make up the difference.

Denso

I once used the Catalinbread Naga Viper to boost my single coil guitars, now the Boss GE7 (w. Monte Allums mod) does this job quite well.

don carney

Gold Supporting Member
I use different overdrive pedals for single coil and for humbuckers. I use a volume pedal to control volume differences. I frequently switch guitars between songs from single coil, 12 stringer with humbuckers and split coil option, and humbuckers. I started using a volume pedal years ago to deal with this issue and so have become used to it.

CEFlint

I have used 2 solutions, both worked just fine.

Boss LS2 as mentioned above. It's a great utility pedal with lots of uses... Including this one. I use it to balance out 3 guitars, Fender, Gibson and Godin.

Xotic RC Booster can easily cover this. Jon Herington calls it his "problem solver" for exactly what you're needing.

sleewell

very simple on helix. have a different preset for each guitar or if you wanna be lazy just use the big master volume knob.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I just have a TC Spark mini, or a Cusack More Louder mini clean boost set to the vol. difference between my HB and SSS guitars - no amp vol. messing needed, one quick little stomp and the Strat is up to the LP signal input to the amp. That also works on bringing up the volume loss of a Coil-tapped HB or a Parallel wired mode HB, I use those too. The mini-clean boosts take up relatively no space on the board and vol. relief is just a footswitch away. It's the simple fixes that are the most elegant. If you shop used you can easily find a mini-clean for at or under $50.00

Trending Topics