Pedalboard switching device question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kenny Blue, May 2, 2016.

1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

I really do not have any experience or much knowledge of switching devices available these days for pedal boards but have become interested in learning more. I have done a bit of looking around but trying to weed things out and understand various functions offered I am getting a bit lost. So I thought I would ask here.

It would be great to be able to easily choose a combination of pedals (stepping on one switch instead of each of those pedal's switches) AND choose the order of the pedals in the signal chain. So you can easily change the order of what goes into what with different presets.

What I am wondering is are there units that are not huge, and not incredibly expensive that, for example, 8 or 10 pedals can be directly fed into. And then there can be a number of programable presets with footswitches to activate each preset, determining specifically which of the pedals and/or combination of pedals are on, and the order that the pedals are in in the audio signal chain for each preset ? And hopefully the unit does not badly affect the sound quality.

I do see one device that looks VERY awesome, the GigRig G2 switcher, but it's very expensive at $1200. And I really don't need anything like 120 presets.

Can you educate me on what else is is possibly available to do this ?

2. EduFiend

EduFiend Member

As has been said on other threads, you are looking for a switcher such as the MusicomLab EFX Lite 62M, the Boss E-8 or other products around that price range. It really depends how many pedals you want to control, if you would like MIDI controlling, Setlist/Song presets, etc. There are plenty of other threads that have information on these babies.

3. EduFiend

EduFiend Member

4. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

5. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

I've used the Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro ($400 new) and Voodoo Lab GCX ($400 new). These are excellent. And you can find them used on Reverb or eBay. They are easy to use & operate if you can follow the Ground Control Pro Manual. In Addition, if you have a midi controllable pedal like the Strymon delay, Mobius, or eventide pedals, you can used the Ground Control Pro to call different fx or fx settings with one step.