• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pedalboard Switching Systems

Ok, I run a large pedalboard, it varies in number of pedals but up to 16. What I want to do is run a MIDI controller, I had my eye on the Rocktron MIDIMate due to its great price and good reviews. So with that in mind, what are my options for the switcher part of the solution? Ideally each pedal will be in its own loop, sitting nicely in a rack drawer. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this, I don't gig at the moment, I'm just looking for a way to eliminate tap dancing and save some space on my floor.

johann

the midimate is just a foot controller

you might want to check the gig rig units, rocktron patchmate, voodoolab's ground control and gcx

I know its just the contoller, I still need the heart of the system, the switcher. CAE's stuff looks good but a little expensive.

Build a pedalboard with a shelf inside it. In that shelf install an RJM Amp Gizmo, or the one that can control 16 loops (can't remember the name). Get hold of a MIDI footcontroller that can select the loops and you're all set.

I think you mean the Effect Gizmo, at $649 its more than I'd like to spend ideally, but I will keep it in mind. Could I run multiple switchers that have say 4 loops each and control all of them with a MIDI controller?

If I don't need presets and just want each pedal in a true bypass loop, I'm stuck having a huge true bypass looper on my pedalboard right?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
If I don't need presets and just want each pedal in a true bypass loop, I'm stuck having a huge true bypass looper on my pedalboard right?
Pretty much. You could think of how you want to arrange it though, say putting more than 1 pedal in a loop, making groups of pedals if that could work for you.

maybe, but one of the points of the true bypass looper is that you have easy access to turning on and off all your effects right at the front of the board, so if you have to toggle between pedals it kind of defeats the purpose.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
maybe, but one of the points of the true bypass looper is that you have easy access to turning on and off all your effects right at the front of the board, so if you have to toggle between pedals it kind of defeats the purpose.
You don't defeat the purpose entirely by having groups of pedals, it can be practical if you use certain combinations often.

A 16 loop box would be really huge though, but a lot more practical than the tap-dancing you probably are doing now. :) Also with the addition of a good buffer, it can make a huge improvement to your tone as well, it sure did for my rig.

But I plan to move to a RJM Effects Gizmo eventually, and have all my pedals in the rack.

zachman

Looks like you are realizing the limitations of the architecture of your rig.

Why do you need all your pedals at your feet, if toggling between pedals is something you're wanting to avoid?

Why not rack them, put them in a switcher and control them via a MIDI controller? :dunno

1morepedal

I use a midi switching system based around the RJM RG-16. It can switch up to 8 pedals as well as switch your amp's channels. I believe it can be used with additional RG-16's to accomodate more pedals. I use it with a Voodoo Labs Ground Control midi controller floor board but it will work with a variety of others.

Looks like you are realizing the limitations of the architecture of your rig.

Why do you need all your pedals at your feet, if toggling between pedals is something you're wanting to avoid?

Why not rack them, put them in a switcher and control them via a MIDI controller? :dunno

I would love to have all my pedals in a rack setup like yours, what do you use as the switcher for your set up?

The problem with MIDI setups for me is that the switcher's cost so much and I'll need at least two of them.

Amp360

I just bought my GCX rack and foot pedal for about $220.00 on ebay. I got the old style footswitch, so I bought a Ground Control Pro and still came in under $600.00.

A really affordable option is the Ibanez EPP-100 which is an older unit. There is also a Kitty Hawk model that is older.

My board is now super organized:

There are some GCX's on ebay right now for $400 with the older style footswitch. I'll keep an eye out for a deal. Most controllers can control multiple switchers correct?

zachman

I would love to have all my pedals in a rack setup like yours, what do you use as the switcher for your set up?

The problem with MIDI setups for me is that the switcher's cost so much and I'll need at least two of them.
I use a Custom Audio Electronics Audio Controller in my rig. 22 Loops/Control Functions, and control it w/ a Custom Audio Electronics Double expanded RS10 MIDI foot controller.

Top Bottom