Pedalboard Switching

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DH0217, Feb 14, 2015.

1. DH0217

DH0217 Member

Hello all,

I'm new here, but I've searched through these forums many times. I have a question about pedal loopers/switchers/aby boxes that I cannot seem to find an answer to. I'm looking into the Boss LS-2 (or any similar pedal switcher) to set up 2 loops I can run simultaneously. Basically, what I'm wanting to do is activate an overdrive pedal in front of my amp and an eq & delay in the effects loop of my amp simultaneously. When the pedal's bypassed I'll be going straight into the front of the amp.

1. Is this possible?
    2. How would I wire this up?

I could be misunderstanding the diagrams I've seen, but it would appear that both loops would run into the front of my amp. I prefer my eq and time-based effects in the amps' loop.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. lawnmowerdeth

lawnmowerdeth Member

I was literally going to ask a similar question. The only pedal switcher I've been able to find that allows you to run pedals in front of the amp and in the loop has been the Moen GEC9. It allows you to run 6 pedals in front and three pedals in the loop. There is an diagram on the product page showing you how to set it up. Does anyone know of any other switchers that allow you to do this ?

3. RickK

RickK Member

RJM's mastermind and others can work in that config. A little more than what DH0217 was looking for

4. cacibi

cacibi Member

I can do this with my One Control OC10.

You have 10 loops, there are different ins/outs for loops 1-7 and loops 8-10. Basically your guitar goes to the input (buffered or unbuffered) of the OC10, the output of the series loops (1-7) goes to the input of your amp. The send of your fx loop goes to the input of loop 8, and the return comes from the output of loop 10. Any fx in loops 1-7 will hit the front of your amp, anything on 8-10 will be in the fx loop.

5. lawnmowerdeth

lawnmowerdeth Member

6. Classic09

Classic09 Member

It may be overkill for two pedals but the Musicomlab products do exactly what you're after. If you have more then this switcher is for you.

7. longi

longi Member

The Joyo PXL Live series of switchers also allows you to run 4 loops in the loop and four out front. All of th Joyo switchers are very cheap which is nice. The Live version also has amp switching and mdi.

8. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Really, any looper with an Insert Point should do the trick whether or not they advertise it as such. You put the pedals you want before the amp before the insert point, then you run your guitar signal out of the Insert Point and into the front of the amp. You run the FX Loop Send of the amp back the Insert Point return. Then continue adding pedals you want in the FX Loop after the Insert Point. Finally, the output of the Looper goes to the amp's FX Loop Return.

I use the Disaster Area DPC-8EZ (it has a movable Insert Point. By default it is between loops 4 & 5).

9. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I forgot to mention, even if your looper does not have an Insert Point, you can dedicated any regular loop to being an insert point anywhere in the chain. You just use the loop as you would an insert point and you always leave it on. It always seems a little nicer though to have an Insert Point built into the device, you don't feel like you are wasting a loop that way.

10. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Yea, you need presets... like the GCX, Musicomlab, gig rig, etc

Check out the switchblade... it's a MIDI patchbay

11. scottkahn

scottkahn Member

Although this is a self plug, you might want to check out my book, which is all about building guitar rigs that incorporate loopers, function switchers, MIDI foot controllers, etc. It details hundreds of products from companies like RJM Music Technology, Gigrig, CAE, Rocktron, Musicom, Skyrdstrup, and more with photos, explanations, and a lot more.

12. seibertdr

seibertdr Member

Does the Joyo PXL4 Live allow you to put one loop in the effects loop. I don't have a need for 8 loops and space on my board is at a premium. The 4 loop would be a perfect size and price. Thx.