Pedalboard ties and pedaltrain boards?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theatomicjeff, Mar 28, 2008.

1. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Guys,
    I hope I can explain this logically: I'd really like to see a couple of pictures of your pedaltrain boards and how you're tying your pedals to your boards with the plastic ties. I'm considering ordering a pedaltrain but those boards are aligned horizontally and I'm confused.

If the slats were vertical, there'd be no problem since you'd simply lay the pedal on the slat and use the tie horizontally across your pedal for a snug fit. I guess you could still use the ties in a vertical manner but the pedal's switch might be in the way(?).

How are you guys doing it? I hope I explained it clearly.

2. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Most of us use velcro, and not those zip ties.

3. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

That's what I've been using but I'm considering the alternate.

4. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

I use a mixture of both. I have a few pedals placed in odd places (RAT -- no good way to velcro it down), or on risers (Comp), so I'll zip-tie those. I also zip-tie the first and last pedals, so I don't pul them off the board if I get overzealous. You'll also notice that I'm using aftermarket zip-ties... they're longer and black. I prefer black.

When I use the ties, they're on the ends of the board or the pedal is sideways, so the tie doesn't really get in the way. For a pedal that is mounted like my tuner is, I can't really find a good way to use the zip tie without using two of them. I put one around the slat of the board and then run the other tie through that one and around the pedal. So it looks kind of like a chain link... That way, you can still use the tie, but you can mount the pedal in a normal orientation. Dunno if that makes sense.

I can hold this board upside down and nothing moves. It flies well, too.

[​IMG]

5. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Good pic and good idea about using two ties - thanks! Any others?

6. ford

ford Supporting Member

Is that a PT2 or PT Pro?

rock

bford

7. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

It's a well-crammed PT2.

8. ford

ford Supporting Member

I thought so.... I have a PT Pro with a bag... but I was thinking about moving down to a PT2 with a hardcase........ it looks like I can fit everything I need onto one, seeing how you can get all those huge pedals on there, plus some smaller ones..!!!

Especially if I put my pedalpower2 underneath.

thanks for the info

bford

9. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Yeah... I figure that each of those line 6 boxes would leave space for 3 tightly packed MXR/BOSS pedals.

Moving my PP2+ under wouldn't have given me any more space. I rotate between putting something on top of it or leaving it like the picture above.

With a little thought you can cram a ton on one of those boards.

10. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Don't do it unless you are really careful or don't care about your pedals getting the crap scratched out of them.

I bought a PT Pro and made the mistake of using the velcro which came with the board. It was terrible and I was in a pinch, couldn't quickly find industrial strength velcro, so I used the zips.

Now I have pedals which were only used a couple of times on my board and are basically new, but all scratched up. Plus the pedals still shift around.

I've since redone my board with industrial strength velcro and it works GREAT. I do use the zips to anchor my Pedal Power on the under side though.

First (and very lame) board...

[​IMG]

Latest but about to have a few changes...

[​IMG]

11. ford

ford Supporting Member

I'm in a very in-between place... I have about 12 items to put on a board.. most are regular size pedals.... a wah and a pedalboard junction union station which is about the size of a fulldrive 2.

It's going to be very tight on a PT2, but very empty on a PTPro. Plus I only have the softbag for the pro and that isn't cutting it... so if I keep it, I'm going to need to get the hardcase.... a PT2 in a hardcase is so much smaller and weighs less and costs less... I may have to make some tough choices about what gets on, because I really think I'm going to sell the PTPro with bag and buy the PT2 with hard case.

Oh and I probably will only use a tie wrap on the pedalpower2 underneath. Maybe one on the Pedalboard Junction also. Along with high strength velcro.

rock

bford