Pedalboard to PA - NO AMP??????????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tweeker, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

How do I maintain the most amp like tone when going direct?
    I want to keep my pedalboard as is (no digital amp modeling circuitry please) and get rid of the guitar amp on stage (I know this doesn't sound like fun). I've got Palmer and Sansamp DIs which get me part of the way there but no cigar. Any suggestions?

2. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Not to frustrate you, but I recently played at church with a guy that had from what I calculated $1800-2000 invested in 2 huge pedalboards, but he did not have an amp. He went direct and although the cleans sound okay (pretty thin though) his crunch and leads sounded like doo doo.

For what it's worth...maybe you can prove me wrong!

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Like it or not, the POD XT Live or Vox SE pedal are the best "direct to PA" solutions. They sound pretty good, I have owned both (and still have the XT Live).

Sorry, just my experience.

4. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Even less expensive but sounds terrific - Digitech GNX series. I've used all the others and prefer the Digitech when I HAVE to go direct.

You need a real or modeled preamp to sound right going direct. A typical pedalboard will not have the sort of preamp section you need.

jon

6. exodus

exodus Member

V-Stack Tweedy. It's not digital- its an analog circuit that does model a few different Fender amps. If you set the gain low, you get a pretty clean tone, but it reacts like an amp. You can also put other pedals in fron of it and it will react quite nicely.

7. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I do use a preamp. I'm running the pedalboard into a Sansamp ParaDI. It does bring a nice amp like roundness to the tone, but it's a bit spongy (like all of their stuff). All modelers I'm familiar with (PSA-1, Vamp, POD, Adrenalinn, Stomp) pale compared to good stomp boxes. I've lovingly assembled my pedalboard over the last 4 years and am VERY happy with it. The sound in the PA with modelers is exaggerated, unresponsive and a bit phoney, whereas my current sound is responsive but a bit flat - even using the Sansamp and Palmer DI. There's got to be a middle ground somewhere.

The thing is, I've gone direct for decades. Used rack mount preamps in the 80's and modelers since they've been around. Playing as a one man band with bigger than life sound it worked just fine. Going back to a band after twenty years, the only thing that works is a pedalboard and amp. Most of the time, tiny barrooms are a nightmare for "stage" sound (corner of a panelled room, amps 2 feet away from patrons, low ceilings, etc). The clearest, cleanest and most consistant sound I've heard is with no stage amps - that's why I'm looking to go direct. Bass and keyboards are fairly straight forward, but the amp is the biggest link in the guitar sound chain. I know it's a compromise, but most of the beautiful nuanced tones get trashed with the smear of stage volume. I'm willing to lose the amp for being able to hear the whole band at any venue in any situation. That's the control going direct gives me.

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

wouldn't something like that crate powerblock work?

9. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Try the behringer ultra-g. I'm serious...this thing has saved my life playing in churches. If you use a quality pedal selection, it imparts a good clean amp sound and feel. Of course you don't get that great tube and speaker compression of a real amp, but it gets darn close.

10. msymank

msymank Member

just what I was thinking

[​IMG]

11. danel59

danel59 Member

I currently am using a GT8 but instead of the internal amp models
    I am using a Koch Pedaltone in the effects loop of the 8 with the speaker sim out of the Pedaltone. Sounds great but more importantly the feel is there as well. Now of course I am thinking of replacing the 8 with the G System as this could be used for both a direct thing with the Pedaltone and also incorporate it into my amp setup as well

Thanks

Dan

12. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

+ 1,000 for the Hughes & Kettner Tubeman. Here is a picture of my pedalboard:

[​IMG]

I have a mixer out that I can send straight into the P.A. The speaker simulator is the Hughes & Kettner Red Box which is built in to the Tubeman. Great tube sound without the fizziness of speaker simulators. Plus I can still use my analog and digital effects.

Guitar George

13. studio8000

studio8000 Member

i used a Mesa/Boogie Vtwin tube preamp pedal direct for a couple of gigs. just used the clean channel... that gave me some tube warmth, and used my pedalboard into that for my other sounds. it has a direct to mixer out to use as a preamp.

14. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hey,

the new TC VPD1 features internal cabinet sim and will do the trick.
    Haven't tried it myself tho'.

Bye,
    Lars

15. WonderDude

WonderDude Member

TWEEKER!

Try a Behringer Gi100. They are very cheap $35 at Musicians Friend. I use mine with a BD-2 and a OD-3. The sound is very impressive. I tend to like it over any of the modelers. But, it is also very limited to the stompboxes you have. So I also use an AD-5 for controling the tone a little. I think you'll be quite impressed with how it sounds. I've always wanted to try hooking up an original SansAmp to the front of it.

Also, when you do hook it up, make sure you press the cabinet simulator button. :D

16. wes

wes Guest

I'm thinking of getting a Digitech 2101 for Direct at church and for recording...big step in an opposite direction for a die hard Tube amp fan..I'll be using an archtop and looking for clean sounds with effects...should work well with a guitar like that...good ole LP and Tele blues grind might have to be limited to mt Deluxe.

17. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd probably try an H&K Redbox at the end.

Loudboy

18. unphotogenic

unphotogenic Member

hey how does the tubeman sound in front of a tube amp? I was think of getting one for my ac30. thanks.

19. WonderDude

WonderDude Member

I've been very courious about that tubman!

It looks like you have some drive stages in your stomp boxes. Is that right? Could I for instance run my Blues driver in front of it while it itself is set to clean and still get a good tone?

Please post some sound clips! :dude

Thanks! :cool:

20. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

Something I have never tried live, but works well for recording at home, is to run my pedals into this Champ style amp I built, with a line out on the speaker side of the output transformer. I run the amp clean, with my distortion coming from a rergular distortion or modeling pedal. This sounds a lot more realistic that just the modeling pedal by itself. Of course, I am still using the speaker, as it is unwise to run a tube amp with no speaker.

One could add a line out to a champ or similar amp and use that as the last stage before the PA. You get the benefit of several tube stages and an output transformer in your signal path.