Pedalboard volume problem, please help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitarrjanne, Feb 10, 2012.

1. gitarrjanne

gitarrjanne Member

Hi,

sometimes when i play through my pedalboard the volume dissapears gradually for about 1 second and then it comes back.

the thing is that no matter what i do to the pedals, i can't trig the problem. there are no bad shielding noises what so ever.

so i'm guessing the problem is my harley benton power supply which i bought of off thomann for about 30 USD. i should also mention that i get noises when i touch my suhr riot pedal when its engage, and it pops a little when turning it on and off. the noise depends on the level of distortion-

any help would be much appreciated!

2. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I have had the little in between 6" jumper cables go back. I have pedals go bad. I have had not enough jucie from the 9 v dc power supply (or too many pedals) do that.

So its a process of elimination and trial and error to find the cause.

How many pedals and cables?

How much amperage (or milliamps) does your power supply provide?

3. hktk

hktk Member

Yes check that you arnt over working the power supply. Could also be a patch cable as already mentioned.

4. gitarrjanne

gitarrjanne Member

i forgot to mention that the power supply puts out 500mA and the pedals take about 170-180mA.

5. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

its gotta be a patch cable/jack issue. i got so tired of stuff always crapping out when i least suspected and never being able to replicate the problem by jiggling or kicking, so i just bought a 10-pack of gls patch cables and redid the whole board. not a problem since.

6. gitarrjanne

gitarrjanne Member

okay, but shouldnt there be a noise like when you plug a cable into an amp and then then touch the plug? i use a couple of those tiny connectors without cable in between just 2 males.

7. gitarrjanne

gitarrjanne Member

8. Telebasher

Telebasher Member

Check the nuts on the input/output jacks, if they are loose there is a grounding issue and intermitant peaks and valleys in volume.

9. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

Also, make sure there are no unused power leads dangling around on your board. If any of these touches metal, it'll cause your power supply to limit or shut down.

Hard bypass switches can become flaky as well causing momentary volume loss.

10. gitarrjanne

gitarrjanne Member

problem solved, it was one of the patch cables without a cable that was broken inside

thanks your help!