Pedalboard vs. Multi-effect

Zemaitisguitar

Gold Supporting Member
I'm leaning toward a multi-effect. My pedal board has gotten out of control. Helix seems very sweet. I'm not a huge programmer and hate messing around with stuff. I like to plug and play. Helix is also expensive, not out of the question. Is the programming easier than people say (even though they say its pretty easy). Is there a unit in the $500-700 range that could fit the bill? I play in a classic rock covers band, small to medium size bars. Currently using a JCM 9000 but was thinking of plugging straight in to PA. thanks for the help.

porcytree

Hi there Z

If it's ease of use in a Multi FX pedal you're after then look no further than the Boss ME80.
Loads of FX on it, ingenious "double pedal" system for switching fx on and off, just reach down and dial on the fly (no menu surfing) and works really well into the front or into the fx return of a tube amp.

It would also serve you well as "fx only" in the loop of your amp (and you could simply use a couple of your fave OD/DS stomps or your amps gain channel for your dirt).

Never used mine direct to PA ( not a gigging guy ) but for direct recording etc the Amp sims are pretty good ( doubt most audience members would notice too much of difference at gig volumes ).

rsm

If you're planning to go direct to FRFR/PA, then the FX8 isn't a fit, and the Boss GT-100 would be better direct than the ME-80 IMO.

Helix or AX8 are probably the best options IMO.

FWIW I used a Boss GT-100 and I'm downsizing to a Boss GT-1; so far so good, but the GT-1 doesn't have a manual / pedal board mode, and you will need to get into programming assigns and maybe add an external footswitch such as an FS-7 to approximate a pedalboard.

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
Is there a unit in the $500-700 range that could fit the bill? I play in a classic rock covers band, small to medium size bars. Currently using a JCM 900
You could probably get away with literally just guitar > atomic amplifire > FOH, but if not, you can easily integrate it into your existing pedalboard with pedals before it and in its loop, and still run direct to FOH via the XLR outs.

The amplifire has 3 marshall amp models: a JCM800, Plexi, and their own model called "Hot Brit." If you play any Queen stuff the Top Boost model is very good for that.

Good quality modern DSP modeling, decent built in effects. You can easily program in what you need for the set. (chorus, a couple delays, etc).

Broken record (stolen from digital igloo):
Modelers recreate the tone from a mic on an amp, not an amp in the room.
At least half of the tone you hear is dependent on what you use to monitor.
All factory presets suck

Last edited:

rsm

For the $500 - $700 price range, and well below it: Have a look at the Boss GT-100 and ME-80.

The Boss Tone Studio editor software makes creating patches in the GT-100 easy IMO. There's a learning curve, but you can create patches and use manual mode - which is like having a pedalboard, you can turn different effects on/off using the footswitches...there are more powerful programming capabilities (assigns, even MIDI), and you can integrate it with an amp that has an effects loop, use it direct or as a MFX in front of amps.

If it doesn't work for you, then go up market...that was my plan when I got the GT-100 new, I could return it to MF; if it didn't work I planned to get a Helix or AX8. Turns out the GT-100 worked great for me. YMMV.

Guitar1969

I'm leaning toward a multi-effect. My pedal board has gotten out of control. Helix seems very sweet. I'm not a huge programmer and hate messing around with stuff. I like to plug and play. Helix is also expensive, not out of the question. Is the programming easier than people say (even though they say its pretty easy). Is there a unit in the $500-700 range that could fit the bill? I play in a classic rock covers band, small to medium size bars. Currently using a JCM 9000 but was thinking of plugging straight in to PA. thanks for the help.
Atomic Amplifire - Easier than Helix, but not as deep. Sounds as good, some say better

tombo007

Use your pedals, plug into to IR's, Impluse Response Cabs....

I was using HD500 w/CAB, back to my pedal board with Torpedo CAB into a SRX812p.

I like to stack OD's and have the option to tweak pedals on the fly when playing live.

Current order, Strat, tuner, Crybaby, Supercomp, Soul Food, Fulldrive 3, BM,BM, Ethos Clean, chorus, delay, CAB, IR(deluxe clean).....clean, clean boost, crunch, lead tones, that all I need!

lspaulsp

Gold Supporting Member
For another $99 you could get the new Atomic 12 and have more switching capabilities.
They blowing out Atomics here for $500 every day and they're great for classic rock and you can keep your pedalboard. (Someone noted this already)
I've used my Zoom G3 foh and had a great mix. It has a nice Marshall.

scook

Silver Supporting Member
So you're wondering whether the Helix is easier to use than people say even though people say it's easy?

Best question in the history of TGP. Literally impossible to answer.

Aran

The Helix is great and it did replace my old board but be warned upfront, you may want to keep some key pedals and use the Helix loops if you do go that route. Some things you just won't be able to do with just the Helix yet effect-wise.

kiki_90291

What pedals do you use and why are they getting out of hand? It's hard to say if a modeler would be the right solution without knowing the problem you're trying to solve?

Trending Topics