Pedalboard...which is the best one to get?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CDaughtry, Jan 27, 2006.

1. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

After many years of just doing it with a guitar, the chord and the amp, I am in a new playing situation where I need to get a pedalboard. I'll probably end up putting 5 or 6 effects on it as well as a wah and the power source.

Which one is the best one to get in y'all's opinion?
    Thanks for the help!:AOK

2. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

I always found the Pedaltrain stuff to be top notch gear, depending on the size of your effects you might be able to get away with the Pedaltrain Jr which fits in a gig bag and is very very portable

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Well, I use a tonebone boneyard
    http://www.tonebone.com/tbone-boneyard.htm

You can drop a house on the thing and it won't break. The only problem with it is that it comes in one size: 3' by 14" of useable space, which is quite large. Luckily, it was perfect for me.

Comes with velcro and other cool gadgets. The pedals stick like glue, and I never worry about them coming off! They're not easy to take off, but they're not impossible either. Perfect balance.

The gig bag they recommend is great too, and the whole package has served me well since August.

I use a godlyke power-all with it, as it doesn't provide power, but this doesn't bother me. There's room underneath it as well to mount a PP2, if you'd like. The pre-drilled matrix is great, though if you use R/A cables you won't be able to fit them through the holes. I use the matrix just for my power supply, and it cleans it up really nicely. Also, it has the added bonus of my signal cables and power supply cables never come into contact!

If the size is good for you, I can't think of a better board.

Unless you wanna shell out the cash on a trailertrash board.....

4. Lefty

Lefty Member

+1 for Pedal Train...good stuff for off the shelf/outta the box.

5. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

Here's the pedals I want to put on it, in addition to the power source of course:
    -A wah
    -Peterson Strobostomp
    -Fulldrive 2
    -xotic RC Booster
    -a standard size distortion box(haven't figured out which one yet)
    - An analog man chorus
    -a tc electronics chorus/flange

Think it would fit on the Jr.?

6. erksin

erksin Member

The RockOn boards are nice too, IMO...

7. granite

granite Member

I like NYC Pedalboards. Great stuff at ridiculously low prices compared to Pedal Train.

http://www.nycpedalboards.com/

You could probably use the Six Shot model at $99 or step up to the Gigman or Pedalhead to leave room for expansion. I've got my eye on their PedalHead Classic.

8. albuht813

albuht813 Member

NYCpedalboards.com

Quality materials and Mike is one heck of a nice guy. It's not a flight case, but it will take some serious beating. For attaching your pedals, he uses real velcro. My pedals haven't gone anywhere since.

9. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

My pedal board has needed replacement and Last Sat. I spent the entire afternoon doing heavy research on all the ones mentioned and more. For me, I did not want to pull out the board, just pop the top and go. The one I decided on came yesterday and I am customizing it for my needs and will have it finished for tonight. I will be posting pics of what I did.
    I put up a post yesterday about the actual board.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=127358

peace,
    dk

10. Toasted

Toasted Member

Probably not IMO.

11. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

Another nod towards NYC Pedalboards. I've had the Big Shot for a couple of years with not one problem. I liked it so much I just ordered a Pedalhead Classic (downsizing a tad, plus I like the tolex'd shell) from Mike, hopefully it will arrive next week!

12. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

CD,
    Knowing your taste in gear, please forgive me if I am assuming too much, but this place has the best built, most well thought-out boards I've ever seen.

13. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The SKB 35 or 45 and Furman are good self contained units with patchbays and ac/dc power sources and locking lids, pretty rugged and reliable, reasonably priced products.

14. Richards

Richards Member

15. Den

Den Member

Please let us know how you like your new board. I think that looks very cool with the tolex exterior. Do you know if the surface of the board is flush with the edges of the case? ... In other words, there's no lip around the edge of the board, is there?

16. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

I got an NYC Big Shot about a year ago. I can tell you that there is no lip around the edge of the board. The latches are kinda crappy though, and I'm going to replace them. Other than that a great purchase...

edit: I just re-read the original question. The standard series has no lip. It definitely looks like the classic series does have a small lip, even though on the site it clearly states that all boards have a "no-lip" design.

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

You probably don't want to get a board that just barely fits what you want on it. You might find something you want to add later and then you gotta get a new pedalboard. The difference in price between a smaller and larger one isn't much when set against buying a small, then a large one.

It might just be that you go from a standard size distortion to something like a Jekyll & Hyde which has dist and OD, but is larger than one standard sized (smaller than the two it replaces though).

Just a thought. The other thing though...if you have space it takes some mighty self-control to not fill it just to fill it :)

18. Fred McMurray

Fred McMurray Member

Personally, I have an NGM Pedalboard, which are among the best available. However, there are several others around which are most likely comparable and a bit more cost-effective. Either way, here's the linkypoo: http://www.ngmpedalboards.com/ Hands-down, there is no question you'll be getting a highly functional, professional, and indestructible board, but if $ is a major issue there are other choices...I got lucky and got my NGM used.

Peace,

Fred

19. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I know a guy in Canada that builds cases for me and he built me a real nice anvil style board. This is a pic of the base and it has an anvil type drop on lid with the same heavy duty twist latches that he puts on my amp cases. Handles are spring loaded. All hardware is top notch. Just tell him what you need and he'll git 'er done...fast! His prices are less than most as well. Here's his email:

rbrodbeck@uniserve.com

Really nice work...totally bomb proof!
    [​IMG]

20. Den

Den Member

I agree ... those look really great, but from what others have said, they can get heavy as hell with pedals in place. Do you have any idea how much your's weighs?